The Industry

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

The Industry

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:53 am

Can you indulge me a moment. Having watched many of Jason's projects some things have started to intrigue me.

It is obvious that the script is the key to a great project, everything comes from that IMHO. However, I think it is safe to say that great scripts are not the first priority of movie industry making a profit is, so I think that is a shame and it has become obvious to me that this is impacting on how and what I can watch (this has become even more so in lock down)

Now I confess I am a luddite; I prefer my music on vinyl and cd rather than streaming and if you notice the gaps in my reviews it is due to me having to purchase DVD's so I have to wait for them to arrive. I am going to watch Event Horizon by the way aaa.gif.

Anyway in this sense I am restricted to what I can watch. I am not signed to any movie/streaming/music site which is fine by me but am deaply frustrated that projects such as the OA and Awake not being available.

I worry that the industry will become like the music business where the most interesting and non commercial music simply is ignored. I was so lucky growing up with John Peel and the music press, and heard stuff that never made the top 40.

Now the criticism here is I am a boring old **** but what is missing today is quality curators. The brilliant Mark kermode is such a font of knowledge as was Roger Ebert, but music and movie criticism is a dying art. I also think the cinema and tv experience is all about money. Would it surprise you that their are only about 400 (approx) movie seats in the large county where I live. On many occasions I would take me a bus trip of say 5 hours (round trip to see a major release).
I can only imagine how mauch harder it will be in the future for me to see a movie in a cinema.

So where does this leave actors like Jason. Jason is incredibly talented, and seems to enjoy working with interesting directors and great scripts. Sometimes like every actor projects are not brilliant but he seems to have the ability to be the best thing in many projects.

I am concerned that many theatres, music venues and cinemas will not cope long term but there is hope if people care enough to want to create. It came to me after reading about the early years of the UK music scene; specifically Liverpool. No one really had much money but the kids essentially made their own music from makeshift instraments and skiffle was born. So many of our great musicians came through that scene kids formed bands, put on their own gigs at makeshift venues and from that everything blossomed. It might be a case of struggling to be reborn but I hope that people recognise at the highest level of the industry that cinema matters, scripts matters and great actors matter not just to the likes of me but to millions of others. I may be middle aged and a luddite but music, cinema and reading has kept me sane through recent times. The need to escape has never felt more relevant.

So thank you Jason for taking me to worlds of Dragon's, Wizard's. Criminals, Russian Generals, Greek hero's and rejected lovers.

Sorry to have waffled. I think I have even bored myself ith this post. :lol

So thank you for making me feel so welcome. :hands

Anniemouse

Re: The Industry

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:18 am

I have tried to delete this post, (to be honest it is boring). No idea what others would think on reading it, so can one of the moderators take it down please.

Best Wishes.

Annie.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:37 pm

It's not boring, Annie. Thanks for posting your thoughts about this. Sorry I didn't reply before, but I've been extremely busy today, and this is the first time I had time to go in here.
I think the competition between streaming sites has really raised the quality on some series. (But it's not all good What worries me is the technical quality. The last season of Game of Thrones, I could barely make out, since streaming quality really is sub par, and some of the episodes were really dark.
I think The OA os probably one of the best series that I've ever seen, but I wish series like that was released on DVD, because the sound and picture quality is much better on DVD or bluray. What's good about streaming is that so many more things becomes available.

It also worries me what is happening to cinemas, since it looks like the focus now is streaming. It looks like the focus of the industry is making series for streaming, or making super hero and action movies for cinemas. I really hope to see good well written movies in the cinema in the future as well.

Sorry if my English is a bit off now, I'm so tired I can barely think in Norwegian at the moment. :snore

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:07 pm

Thunder you English is wonderful. Your comment about the quality of streaming is something I have heard before and as I have just checked the UK top 10 movie receipts (our cinemas are starting to re open) Tenet seems to have opened at approx £8 million. I think people will always want to watch the big movies on the big screen, and indies will always find an audience of die hard fans; I just want some choice. I do not understand why OA is not on DVD or that Awake is not available, I have been checking ebay but no luck.

I too feel that the superhero genre is in danger of overload (although some are rather wonderful) I just fear that movies that hold a special place like Local Hero, would never get made now. Read somewhere that Speilberg and Scorsese are struggling to get the finance for projects of the last few years.

I would love some choice at a great price. By the way I have never seen Game of Thrones.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:06 pm

I prefer the indie movies to the big block busters, and I really hope we will still be able to watch them in cinemas. I think cinemas will survive, it's a whole other thing to be able to watch movies there. When you go to the cinema, it's usually with friends and sometimes we go out ot eat before or after. It's a social event, kind of thing. Cinemas in Norway has been open for a whole, but they don't fill the rooms to full capacity. I haven't been to one after covid broke out.

Return to “General Forum”