Help Needed.

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Help Needed.

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:39 pm

I have pretty much run out of Jason DVD's and so I need a few pointers.

I have read the list of work Jason has done and am missing so many movies and tv pieces.

If I sign on to something like Netflix do I
Need a smart tv
Does it need to plug into the internet
Would I still need to purchase a system like a box or stick to access shows.

I am a ludite so I have no idea about digital shows on tv.

Also I am so frustrated at not seeing many of Jason's work

Awake *
Ashenden *
OA *
London Fields
Look Away
The Dark Crystal
Tennis Anyone *
Civvies
The Infiltrator
Rosemay's Baby
Dig
Dawn
A Single Shot
La Conjura de El Escorial (aka The El Escorial Conspiracy) *
Pleading Guilty
Stockholm Pennsylvania

Are all projects I would love to see.

Any idea's?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Help Needed.

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:38 pm

As a fellow Luddite, I will defer to those more techno-knowledgeable to help you out. Also a fellow Brit could help you with what you'd need to get set up in the UK. Hoping you get up and running soon. :cool:

BrodieCaffee

Post by BrodieCaffee » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:26 pm

I remember for Awake which I bought on console to watch, but most of the Jason stuff I actually got on DVD, I'll list mine below:

Awake ( PS3 & PS4)
DIG
Brotherhood
Case Histories
The Tuxedo
The Patriot ( 2 copies)
Abduction
Rosemary's Baby
The End Of The Affair
Sweet November
Black Hawk Down
Harry Potter
A Cure For Wellness
Divorcing Jack
Pot Luck
Chumscrubber
Armageddon

I have others but can't think of them, need to open the box to get the rest...

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 am

I ordered Potluck but the DVD was damaged and the seller in the post so went back to the seller. So you can access through a console I am really confused now.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:54 pm

You can watch Netflix online on your PC or tablet. If you use a TV you would need a Smart TV with a Netflix App. The cheapest subscription is £5.99/month. You can cancel anytime.

The App on my TV doesn't work (known issue with Samsung TVs, couldn't get any of the workarounds to work for me), but my PC has a large screen, so I watch on that. I have an iPad, and the Netflix App works on that, and I use that too.

Netflix has The Dark Crystal, The OA and Star Trek: Discovery (Jason is only in season 1).

I believe he is now in the new series of Sex Education on Netflix too.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:18 pm

Thank you all for the advice.

So far I have worked out I need a new tv. By the way does the tv need to be plugged into the internet itself for this all to work.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:53 am

Anniemouse wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Thank you all for the advice.

So far I have worked out I need a new tv. By the way does the tv need to be plugged into the internet itself for this all to work.
Yes, but you don't need a "plug" unless you don't have WiFi at home. If you have WiFi then your Smart TV will work with it too, like all your other devices do. You get setup instructions with the TV.

You can watch Netflix via its website on a computer, but on a TV you need the App - so check before you buy that it will work on whatever brand of TV you buy. (It's possible that the problems I had don't exist with new TVs, but best to be sure before you spend the money.)

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:25 pm

Thank you for the help.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:16 pm

Thank you for taking the time and giving localized advice, Servalan.
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'd bother with Potluck. The movie is nonsensical, JI's part pretty brief (I think, it's been a long time), and I'm fairly confident that the copy I have is a legitimate commercial product, and it's AWFUL. The sound quality was really muddy, and the whole thing just seems very amateur.
Recommended only for the most dedicated Jason Isaacs Completionists.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:41 pm

So because *points to self* am nerd, I seem to have various ways of always being connected to the interwebs as long as there is wifi around, and when I travel either to parental units or on my own, and need ways to entertain myself and/or others, in addition to the usual suspects of amazon prime/netflix on my phone/ipad/laptop, and my Apple TV, I also have an Amazon Firestick. You can just plug the Firestik into an HDMI port on your tv. Since my “smart” tv is now stupid (my Vizio stopped supporting neflix or maybe netflix stopped supporting my Vizio because it was too “old” in tech years (but yet young in human years...go figure), I can access all of my streaming platforms (except for my itunes) on my firestick (disney plus, netflix, amazon prime, starz, hbo max, hulu, and a bunch of free ones lime imdb movies). And when I travel (well in the old years, aka 2019) I just pop it and the power cord into my bag and off I go to where ever. My dad and stepmom liked it so much, they got their own.

The Apple TV is a litle bit more...high maintenance for me. A friend gave me his because he leveled up so to speak, and while I can access my movies bought off of itunes, my wifi is so clunky slow (2020 taught me that I cannot work on my work computer, which hogs my wifi, and stream movies at the same time in netflix. Thanks, Job That Shall Not Be Named) that it literally takes hours for some movies to download from Apple so that I can watch them. I think I need to up my wifi speed, but the idea of interacting with Comcast is mentally and emotionally exhausting since they never get anything right. But hey, their high prices and i
utter incompetence totally justify the THREE skyscrapers they have built here in Philly, I guess.

Soo...I don’t know if this is helpful or not, since I’m also weeks (months?) behind. I’m such a bad Lost Girl. lol.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 am

Thanks for the post about the tech. My issue now is that I cannot get down to the socket to plug it in as my arthritus is playing up so it will have to wait.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:43 am

Thanks for the advice, I need to upgrade my equipment soon. And welcome back, LadySekhmet :D

Return to “General Forum”