Jason Being Left Handed.

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Jason Being Left Handed.

Post by Anniemouse » Sun May 02, 2021 5:01 am

I just read an article about left handed children being routinely punished (usually caned) and made to write with their right hand right up until the 1990's in the UK education system. My Dad suffered this and could actually write with both hands. Has Jason ever mentioned his experiences.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Jason Being Left Handed.

Post by Helen8 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:53 pm

As far as I know, he only writes with his left hand; everything else (tennis, etc.) with his right hand.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun May 02, 2021 1:45 pm

Wouldn't your dad be much older than Jason? My grandma and my mum write with their left and do everything else with their right hand, like Jason. My grandma was forced to write with her right hand, but my mum has always written with her left. But my mum mentioned that she was once yelled at in school for smearing the ink while she wrote. It was when people had to dip the pen in the ink before writing.

Jason is much younger, and he has never mentioned anything like this. I don't think this happened to him.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun May 02, 2021 5:02 pm

I hope Jason did not have the issue that my Dad suffered. Jason might have belonged to the first generation of school children who did not face this.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon May 03, 2021 4:22 pm

My UK-raised husband is 61. He's left-handed and learned to write using fountain pens, with no discouragement of his orientation.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon May 03, 2021 5:43 pm

Well it sounds like many schools were more thoughtful by the 1960's. Pleased for your husband.

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue May 04, 2021 8:23 am

Jason is younger than me & my husband, who is left handed. He did not have any problems being allowed to write with his left hand, except in those days he was expected to use a fountain pen, so now holds a pen at a very funny angle because then he had to avoid smudging the ink. We started school in the 50s.

However my mother was forced to write with her right hand. She was born in 1928. My maternal grandfather used to write with his right hand but played cricket left-handed.

I think you have the generational cut-off wrong. No left-hander in the 1990s would have been made to write with their right hand!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed May 05, 2021 5:45 am

Thanks for the imput. Interesting to read the stories.

Return to “General Forum”