Inside Number 9

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Inside Number 9

Post by thunder » Wed May 18, 2022 11:44 am

I just preordered the DVD, so I can watch only one of the episodes... that has happened before. :mrgreen:
If I like it, I may look at the rest of it :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed May 18, 2022 5:03 pm

OK it just finished.

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

Plot

It opens with split screen imagery of the wife of a hedge fund manager dressing in the morning mirrored by one of the kidnappers (not Jason) getting ready for the kidnap. Think the opening scenes of The Thomas Crowne Affair with Steve MCQueen as the plan is put into action. Dressed as a postman he uses Cholraform to knock her out and she wakes in a run down house. He is creepy and threatening and she seems terrified.
A ransom call is made letting the husband know she has been kidnapped while the wife desperately tries to get in touch with her husband as her phone is still in her coat pocket. The husband is not amaused and seems unconcerned.

Enter Clifford / Jason with a Geordie accent in black leather wolf mask and acting meneacing. Thw two kidnappers plan to mutalate the wife by cutting off her ear lobes to put pressure on the husbans once the randsome of £1.3 mil is paid they will kill the wife. The creeepy kidnapper is sent to buy freezer bags and once out pf the house Clifford untied the wife and they kiss pasionately as they are lovers who have arranged the kidnap as her husband will not divorce her and she wants the money to start again with Cliff.

A second randsome call is made with both Clifford and the wife pretending she is in real and immediate danger and her banker husband now been advised by the Police arrange to pay the money. All is in place.

Unfortunately the first kidnapper comes back early. After the wife pretends to have got free and uses Clifford as a hostage the ruse is blown and for a few seconds it seem the three will team up to get the money.

However the first kidnapper flips as he feels he is out of the loop and brings out a handgun. Clifford and the first man fight over the guin and it goes off. Clifford dies. The wife is hysterical her lover is dead on the floor and this kidnapper is unstable. He reties her and cuts of her ear lobes and earings which he sends to her husband.

The Police and husband set up the payment online that must be verified in the hopiuse where his wife is kept. The police set up a plan. Husband is sent in wearing a flack Jacket and black helmet. Once he is out of the house with the wife their will be a police raid and the kidnappers will be arrested.

A major plot twist happens. After the husband has sent the payment on the computer. He even tries to negotiate the randsom down at the last minute, he too is give chloraform by the kidnapper. Unconcious he is stripped of his clothes and as he dresses the wife proves that she is in on the kidnap again and eeven talks to the police as a scared victim and using a voice altering device that has been used to make all the phone calls gives her and the man time to walk out of the building apparently rescued by her husband. The easily get past the Police and drive off with all the money and each other. The Police are left dunbfounded after they enter the building to find Cliford dead (they have no idea who he is ) the husband unconcious and stripped and the money and the wife gone.

It ends with them driving of into the sunset with money and earlobes intact.

I really enjoyed this episode. The downside is that Jason is only in it for ten minutes but I loved the character and his Geordie accent. (which was perfect by the way) He was dressed in black and looked amazing. He had some great scenes and his comedy timing was wonderful.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed May 18, 2022 5:07 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0c79hbs

Podcast by the actors/writers of this episode.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed May 18, 2022 8:00 pm

It was delightful. On twitter Jason Isaacs News had some instructions for US listeners:
Go to dailymotion.com and search for “Inside.no.9s07e04” the episode is there to watch for free.

SPOILER

Poor Jason … dead again

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu May 19, 2022 4:18 am

Thunder. Of that season Ep 1 is creapy and brilliant and episode 3 is wonderfully strange but be careful with ep 2. It is off the scale in themes of horror and nudity.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu May 19, 2022 1:19 pm

Thanks, Annie. I look forward to see more episodes. Thanks Annie for the recap, and Marie for the instructions. I'll wait for my DVD to see the rest, though. It will be nice to have for a rainy summer day. :D

Behind the scenes pictures, one of Jason: https://twitter.com/AlCampbeII/status/1 ... 2594784256

servalan

Post by servalan » Fri May 20, 2022 4:32 pm

Marie wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:00 pm

Poor Jason … dead again
Yes, I thought "Jason Isaacs - dead again!"

He had a great expression as he realised it was him that had been shot - he & Daniel Mays (the other kidnapper, who was not the sharpest knife in the box) both looked shocked & thought Daniel had been shot at first.

There was lots of split screen filming. The husband (Reece Shearsmith) was more interested in his money than his wife really. When she first phoned him in his huge office & told him she had been kidnapped, he refused to understand her. Then Daniel Mays phoned and talked about kidnapping his wife in a distorted voice, and the husband said he couldn't do phone sex now, he was at work.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri May 20, 2022 4:55 pm

What was also great was the dark humour, and Jason was just brilliant and I wish he had the chance to do more comedy.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sat May 21, 2022 12:04 pm

I had to recheck the ending - poor Jason's corpse was the source of the earlobes sent to the husband, along with his wife's earrings.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat May 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Wow I never noticed that. Thank you for telling me.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat May 21, 2022 7:37 pm

Yes he was!!! She was good at adjusting the plan!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun May 22, 2022 4:40 am

I missed the earlobe thing as I thought it was blood from the gunshot and fall. Poor Clifford.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun May 22, 2022 5:11 am

I knew there were earlobes sent because we saw the husband looking at them - and Jason was the only logical source once we saw Daisy Haggard take off her bandage to reveal intact ears, so I watched the corpse closely when re-viewing on BBC iPlayer. Jason's ears were bloody in the very last scene his body was in.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun May 22, 2022 11:03 am

Did you you see when Daniel Mays character ran out the house dressed in the husbands clothes' the trousers were way short in the leg. That cracked me up.

Return to “General Forum”