The Woman's Virtual Shortlist Festival

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Re: The Woman's Virtual Shortlist Festival

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:04 am

I am still trying as well.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:20 pm

Just as a postscript I bought the book called "The Book of Form and Emptiness" by Ruth Ozeki and have just finished reading it.

It is over 560 pages long and Jason's reading is in the early chapters. It focuses on the lives of a widowed mother who is traumatised and hoards (Annabelle) a mentally ill teenagager (Benny * Annabelle's son) A homeless poet, The Aleph a homeless meantally ill female teen artist, two Japanesae Zen nuns and a character called the book where the inner thoughts and feelings of the book (a voice that Benny hears) informs the reader just how books feel and how it helps and interacts with Benny.

It is not a fun book but I got lost in the characters and wanted things to work out for the better for them when things fell apart. Themes of mental illess and how it is treated in society, Zen teachings and lives lived on the margins really drew me in and I loved this novel. Ruth Ozeki is a wonderful writer and the pages flew by even though the book feels like a brick.

My only criticism is that the ending is really abrupt all resolved in a page even though there are threads left dangling.

I do need a break after this but I do recommend it and I hope to read some of Ozeki's other novels in the near future.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:26 am

Thanks for your review, Annie :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:15 pm

Do you know what is odd. I have missed the book since I finished reading it!!.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:15 pm

That means it’s a good book :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:52 pm

I can easily recommend it to anyone on the baord. It is a commitment at 560 pages but the characters and narrative do keep you gripped and Ruth is a wonderful writer.

Return to “General Forum”