Jason's British local elections appeal

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Jason's British local elections appeal

Post by thunder » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:39 pm

Jason posted an appeal for people to vote on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Crgo0YpPC6i/

:hands

servalan

Re: Jason's British local elections appeal

Post by servalan » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:27 am

No elections in Scotland, so not applicable here, although the rules will apply when the time comes.

Jason is right that it has not been well publicised. There also seems to be age discrimination in what is acceptable ID e.g. an older person's free bus pass is acceptable, but not a student pass or student ID. Photo driving licences are acceptable, but many young people do not yet have one for various reasons.

You can get a special ID just for voting, but you needed to know about it - the deadline for applications has now passed.

Yes, go and vote even if you vote for someone I don't like.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:00 pm

Thanks for the info, Servalan. In Norway, debetcards has picture ID, and there's a lot of other options as well. Everyone has some kind of valid ID.

I can see why it's a problem when they change the rules short time before elections, and then don't inform people about it. You start to think that they don't want people to vote. :huh

Antoni Bandzior

Post by Antoni Bandzior » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:59 am

I think in most Europe countries it's strange that you don't have ID. We need it in litterally every bank and office. And getting one is free(at least in Poland), so it was shocking for me that In UK you don't need it.

Return to “General Forum”