US approves cervical cancer drug

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

US approves cervical cancer drug

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:15 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5062422.stm

We could do with some happy fuckin' news, huh???

"The US has licensed the first vaccine against cervical cancer, which kills at least 290,000 women worldwide a year.

The new drug Gardasil - manufactured by Merck & Co. - is designed to be given to girls and women between the ages of nine and 26.

It works by combatting the human papillomavirus (HPV).

"This vaccine is a significant advance in the protection of women's health," said Andrew von Eschenbach, acting Food and Drug Administration commissioner.

A course of treatment over six months is expected to cost about $360 (£195).

But conservative groups in the US argue that treating young girls before they become sexually active will encourage promiscuity.

'Nearly 100% effective'

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Gardasil after a six-month clinical testing programme, involving 21,000 women around the world.

The trials showed that Gardasil was "nearly 100% effective" in preventing HPV, which causes genital warts that can lead to cancer, the FDA said.

It said the new drug was effective against four key types of HPV.

Three injections will cost $360, with Merck saying the vaccine would be available within weeks.

"Fortunately, we can now include the worst types of HPV and most cervical cancer in the list of diseases that no-one need suffer or die from ever again," said Alex Azar, Deputy US Health and Human Services Secretary.

HPV infections are believed to cause at least 70% of cervical cancer - the second most common cancer among women worldwide after breast cancer.

Most death occur in developing countries, where early screening is not as developed as in wealthy nations."

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:57 am

We have been waiting for this vaccine, Hil. Having seen too many 16 yo with cervical dysplasia. Chuck is also very excited about it. He told me about this vaccine more than a year ago and kept asking if I have started using it.

Somehow younger people are more susceptible to Human Papilloma Virus.

Too bad I didn't have a chance to give it to Jeannie before.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I read in the paper today that at age 50 over 80% of women have been infected by one of the viruses that this vacine targets (does not mean all will come down with cancer.) No wonder they want to give it to the young ones! Of course Char would know more about this than me - I hope the article is wrong (or that I read it wrong!)

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:05 pm

I believe this vaccine is targeted towad the HPV 14 and 16 strains, which comprise about 20-30% of those infected with HPV. I was told back in high school that over 75% of the total population in the US has some form of HPV (also commonly known as gential warts). As of now, this is the only virus known to have direct links to carcinogenic manifestaitons, and as such, it is a HUGE deal that this being treated. It stinks that its so expensive though. I'll write more later. Gotta go to class.

-S.

Return to “General Forum”