Windtalkers

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Keenan48

Re: Windtalkers

Post by Keenan48 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:24 am

There are only 2 Windtalkers still alive, having just lost one earlier this year.
I would have much preferred an actor of substance (Johnny Depp,Christian Bale) to have played Cage's part, for he is truly too lightweight to carry such a heavy role. I would have also preferred they made the central character(s) the Windtalkers themselves, as theirs was the true story of patriotism. Even though treated as second class citizens in their own country, they rose to the call to defend her none the less. Therein lies the heart of this story, and as Monty so accurately points out, was lost in the Hollywood translation. I am glad however, that this little known piece of history was recognized and allowed to see the light of day, regardless of the poor execution. I can only hope that one day it will be retold/remade, in a way that does justice to these men and recognizes the debt owed by my nation to their memory.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Keenan, thank you for that--the topic deserved a post as serious as that. (Indian Country Media reported on the death of Mr. Little.)
I agree with you, though--I had to think for quite some time before I could come up with a movie in which Mr. Cage impressed me: the last one was Raising Arizona. :-|

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:10 am

I think NC has been pretty well type cast - and he finds it easy to play the kind of action adventure role. Hubby enjoys all his movies and as far as B grade adventure/fantasy movies I get dragged to or have to watch on DVD - Cage is not the worst. I would not have chosen him for that role in Windtalkers though. Many other actors would have done better. That is one movie I wish would get re-made by someone who can do war movies with heart like Speilburg.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 am

Not long ago, PBS had a program on the code breakers, which was far more informative and respectful.

Face/Off maybe. And that's only because Cage spent most of it imitating John Travolta. :roll:

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:28 pm

Watched this today, reading the comments I thought Nicolas Cage was OK and you did get the feeling of what being on the front line during the Pacific campaign was like. I thought if they had spent more time on the role of the wind talkers during the conflict I would have enjoyed it more. It felt exactly like the Hollywood version with the character arcs going exactly like you the viewer expected.

I was shocked at how little time Jason had onscreen. I thought he looked really dapper in the uniform but again would have loved ore from The Major on how and why the wind talker project came about. It is not something I even knew existed until I watched the X Files in the 1990's.

Enjoyable but difficult viewing.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 pm

I think that was one of Jason’s projects where he told us - don’t blink you’ll miss me!!!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:15 am

Just watched the extras and a couple of points.

If anyone else has seen the extras did you agree that Jason was actually dubbed in the behind the scene section. That did not sound like his voice to me.

Also in the actors commentary with Christian Slater and Nic Cage, Cage mentioned as Jason's scene played that Jason was "A great actor with real presence" . Slater said his wife recognized Jason from The Patriot.

What projects was Jason filing at around this time of Windtalkers filming.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:21 pm

I don't think there's any extra material on my DVD :scratch
It's from around 2001-2? Somewhere around The Tuxedo and first Harry Potter, maybe...?

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:17 pm

The extras were two commentaries, some behind the scenes filming, boot camp and stills from the production.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”