Peter Pan...AAIIEE!

The projects that don't have their own subforums, because they are older than The Lost Girls, but still deserve a special place on the board..

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

inamac

Re: Peter Pan...AAIIEE!

Post by inamac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:00 am

I think the stage flying is one reason for the current lack of amateur productions. My most vivid memory of Pan (pre-Jason) is a production where the flying children demolished a whole Indian teepee village.

Though with modern back-projection and tech you could probably do a production without actually needing to use physical flying wires. And Tinkerbell, of course, is usually played by the lighting technician.

I really should re-watch Finding Neverland.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:04 am

Of course we could do it with AV and tech, but where would be the fun in that? ;-) Nothing quite like seeing kids hurled precipitously through the air before your very eyes!

But, yes, unfortunately, there is no way I could even consider doing real stage flying - it requires hours of training and considerably higher budgets than I have. Oh well ... I'll just hold out for the perfect Hook instead.

Suggestions?

:cool:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:32 am

Dustin Hoffman - jk, jk! Stop throwing thigs at me - LOL!

inamac

Post by inamac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:23 pm

laurielove wrote:Of course we could do it with AV and tech, but where would be the fun in that? ;-) Nothing quite like seeing kids hurled precipitously through the air before your very eyes!
I'll just hold out for the perfect Hook instead.

Suggestions?

:cool:
You do know that Barrie originally intended Hook to be played by the actress playing Mrs Darling? Complete, presumably, with boots, tights and thigh-slapping pantomime boy braggadocio? I've never seen it done that way, but it might be interesting....

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:54 am

I did, and we've had quite an interesting discussion on the Hook LJ forum regarding that.

Now that leads to all sorts of Freudian musings. In a way, it makes more sense than having him played by the actor playing Mr Darling, as the females are clearly the strongest characters in PP - Wendy, Mrs Darling, Tinkerbell. So to have the actor playing the adult Wendy most respects (her mother) also playing Hook, the character she imagines she will respect but ultimately, and clearly, doesn't ...

Ah me. This story never stops me thinking.

ln419

Post by ln419 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:57 am

Laurilove, oh my gosh, there IS this actor, I forget his name, he IS quite famous. I'll think of it, I believe he has played Hook before, so he's flown on wires before...and he probably remembers most of the dialogue...I think he's going to be in Scotland doing some detective drama show until like November or something, um wait the name is coming-I know he loves to work with kids, he MIGHT be up for doing a week of charity work, oh yeah, Jason Isaacs, THATS his name, maybe someone here can put you in touch with him, maybe he'd be willing to help you out...worth a shot, nothing ventured and so on...good luck! LN

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:23 am

ln419 wrote:Laurilove, oh my gosh, there IS this actor, I forget his name, he IS quite famous. I'll think of it, I believe he has played Hook before, so he's flown on wires before...and he probably remembers most of the dialogue...I think he's going to be in Scotland doing some detective drama show until like November or something, um wait the name is coming-I know he loves to work with kids, he MIGHT be up for doing a week of charity work, oh yeah, Jason Isaacs, THATS his name, maybe someone here can put you in touch with him, maybe he'd be willing to help you out...worth a shot, nothing ventured and so on...good luck! LN
Oh, don't think this scenario hasn't crossed my mind. Dreaming ... But ...

*Reality check.*

We would have a lot of fun though, I could guarantee that. I always have epic fun when doing my shows. And I'd ensure he only needed to be there for tech, dress and performances (2). Somehow. And his girls could be in it too. More fun. And I live in a really nice part of England. Great for short holidays.

Ooh - slipping into dreamland again.

*Repeat reality check.*

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Hmmmm... I don't remember that LJ Hook discussion re: Mrs. Darling/Hook. I'll have to go back and look at the threads. :shock:

And... if you need a House Manager, I was the House Manager for our high school's drama club. Oh, I'm very organized and responsible. I'm sure I could keep any visiting ...errm...actors in line. You know...make sure they show up on time for the show, keep their dressing room stocked with fresh water...help them with their costuming... *cough*... things like that... :cool:

Hmmm... I suppose Mrs. Darling could also do Hook, but -to me- Hook is the antithesis of Mr. Darling. He's everything that her father seems NOT to be - dashing, brave, heroic, fearsome (rather than a perceived fearfulness), no sense of boundaries or propriety (hence, the pirate- we *all* know how scandalous they are!!), does not bow to any man (unlike her father and his boss), sensual (oops...wait...maybe that's one of my perceptions...). Mrs. Darling may be her heroine, but I don't know if she can create enough of a foil by being Hook. And I say that Mr Darling "seems" not to be, because as we learn from Mrs.D, Mr. D put all of his dreams away in a drawer, where he sometimes takes them out and looks at them. *snuffles sadly* :-( So, Mr. Darling is brave in his own right simply because he puts his family's needs and dreams ahead of his own. *pulls out tissues and blows nose loudly*

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:16 pm

I can't remember exactly where the Mrs D/Hook mention was. It's only as part of a longer post about ... discussion ... We've had some long discussions on there. Barrie would be proud.

The title of this thread depresses me and it is now sort of irrelevant to the discussion. I think Capt. Jas. Hook needs another thread, surely, entitled: 'Peter Pan ... YIPPEE!'

No, scrap that. More like: 'Captain Hook ... YIPPEE!'

When I am not shattered to the point of falling asleep in mid-step, I may come up with a coherent response to your comment about Darling Mothers and Fathers.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Hmm...or perhaps: "Captain Hook...WHOOOOT!!!" ? Or maybe: "Captain Hook...Yeah, baby!" :cool:

Don't be depressed about the title of the thread. If you try and read it while in denial about why the thread is titled that way, you can actually make is sound like this:
"Peter Pan- AIEEEEEEEE- WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!" :woot

Okay, I'll go look for that... ermm...discussion... :ninja Yes, he would & so might someone else. :cherub

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:59 pm

LadySekhmet wrote:Hmm...or perhaps: "Captain Hook...WHOOOOT!!!" ? Or maybe: "Captain Hook...Yeah, baby!" :cool:

Don't be depressed about the title of the thread. If you try and read it while in denial about why the thread is titled that way, you can actually make is sound like this:
"Peter Pan- AIEEEEEEEE- WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!" :woot

Okay, I'll go look for that... ermm...discussion... :ninja Yes, he would & so might someone else. :cherub
I think possibly just 'Captain Hook ... do me now.'

Sorry if that isn't permissible, but my life is so completely frantic and ennervating right now, that I don't really care.

*tries to find emoticon of someone so knackered that they are lying flat on floor and a herd of stampeding elephants careens over them and they don't even notice* Nope. Don't have that one.

You get the picture. I'm almost too tired to even split infinitives. Almost.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:03 pm

laurielove wrote:I think possibly just 'Captain Hook ... do me now.'
Oh yes, that one might be just the ticket. :cool: And if it can't be used here... well... it won't go to waste. :ninja

Too tired to split infinitives? :uhoh Oh my, that is tired. We'll just have to make sure that the elephants are kept at bay.

Sorry. It is so hot on this end of the world that I think my brain might be melting just a tad. I think that we need an icon of a little head with flames coming out of it, too.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 am

Sorry Gals - no do me now titles to threads on this Board. Perhaps if you want to continue in your current line of thought you might want to consider PMs to each other.

Thanks,
Marie

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Sorry.

ln419

Post by ln419 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Just so it isn't a TOTAL waste, FYI, I'm sitting here LMAO. I apologize, but sometimes when these things get "goofy" they're precious and to put them away to pms (surely that looks wrong), it doesn't seem quite fair to keep the chortles all closeted up, we're all entitled to a few laughs, God knows we ALL need them. I understand the need for propriaty, but laughter is SO important...LN

Return to “Older classics”