Peter Pan...AAIIEE!

The projects that don't have their own subforums, because they are older than The Lost Girls, but still deserve a special place on the board..

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

LadySekhmet

Re: Peter Pan...AAIIEE!

Post by LadySekhmet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm sorry, too. *scuffs foot along floor and gives sad puss in boot eyes*

Don't worry, ln, I'll try to be good so that I won't have to resort to pms.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:03 pm

:soap No one wants to deny you the right to be goofy. You are free to start new threads. Just stay on topic in the threads that are for information and discussions about a certain movie, TV-series, appearance or interview. Is this so hard?

This forum is one of the best places for information about Jason Isaac's career on the web. It won't stay that way if all the threads goes goofy. If you are searching for information or opinions about a movie or TV series, or you want to reread a certain interview or find an old picture - then you don't want to have to read through pages of bulls**t before you find what you are looking for. The reason the mods here try to remind people to stay on topic, is for this message board to remain the useful resource for all Jason Isaacs-fans to enjoy.
If you want to go goofy, start a goofy thread if you think others would like to be goofy with you. Or if you think it might not be fun for a lot of people, take it to PM. Thank you!
Now, let's talk Peter Pan.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:30 am

I would just like to point out that I never actually had any intention of starting a thread of that name; I know full well that would not be allowed. I was simply drawing attention to the fact that the title of this thread is at odds with the commentary which now takes place on it. And, yes, I thought what I said would raise a few smiles, which can surely never be a bad thing. But I may well, when there is indeed something valid and meaningful to say, start a new PP thread with a different and entirely tasteful name, have no fear.

We made a few comments, which were relatively articulate and which did have references to PP other than the masculine pulchritude of the adult lead (ie splitting infinitives). I do apologise again, however, for my perceived bullshit.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:05 am

My comment wasn't to criticize anyone, but to point out the importance of staying on topic. I know it's easy to go a bit off, and I enjoy a bit of silliness as well. A couple of silly/off topic comments isn't a problem, but it gets a problem when there are pages after pages. It would be nice if after a mod has tried to rein in the conversation (when she sees a discussion about to take off in the wrong direction), that people actually get back on track, and not continue as they used to before. It has happened on more than one occasion lately - usually along with some comments like "Oh, we are off topic again, thunder and Marie will come and tell us off again". Try to help out the mods a bit, it's not that fun having to be the party killer - but someone got to do the job.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 am

Thunder does an excellent job as a mod...lets support her and try to listen to the advice she is giving...

My suggestion is for anyone with a question, please read the Rules...
General Forum: forum rules

now back to the wonderful discussion this thread began.... :woot

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:58 am

I apologize (again) lest anyone believe that my first apology was not sincere. It was sincere, but it was also laced with a little bit of lightness in order to keep everyone (silly people and mods alike) from feeling like we had just committed a horrible crime against humanity & perhaps I was wrong with that tact. I am sorry for that. That is my absolute last word on this issue.

Here is the title of that Centennial Edition in case anyone wants it (it was lurking in one of my bookcases):
Maria Tartar. 2011. The Annotated Peter Pan. New York, W.W. Norton & Company.
ISBN: 978-0-393-06600-5
One or two of you have already seen my reference to this book elsewhere (on a different website) on the interwebs, so please ignore if it will bore you.

The book is very handsome and has some really nice things in it, as CaseHistories has very thoughtfully pointed out. I suspect this must be the same book about which she was talking. It has the original story (but the narrative, not play), as well as some additions to the story that were Barrie's, but -alas- not his Eton address about Hook. *sad face* It also has a chapter on movie adaptations from the first until most recent (but not Syfy's Neverland). She's a proper academic and so there is a fine list of bibliographic references at the back (10 pages!) of everything from spin-offs to secondary literature about the story and Barrie. Also, she gives a bio about Barry. She's at Harvard and is a Dean there - so no silliness for her. It also has some wonderful reproductions of the Victorian illustrations, as well as photos of various productions and announcements. I think that it might only be in hardback. I can't remember how much it was, as the Christmas Elf gifted it to me, but it did come from Barnes and Noble, but it is also on Amazon. It really concentrates on Pan, and there is very little about Hook, except in the annotations, and some random statements. So...if you are looking for Hook, you will be disappointed. If you adore the tale of PP - then this is the book for you! I think that the book would have been stronger if she had included the Eton address (although she does mention it in a footnote), but she did not, and I am still not exactly sure why. In fact, she doesn't even mention it in the section on primary sources in the bibliography. It can be a little hard to find, but if you have the patience of a saint and the ability to sort through all sorts of Google garbage then you can find it. Perhaps it is owned by Barrie's estate and they didn't want to allow someone to publish it or perhaps it is Eton's property now and ditto for them? Or perhaps she figured that it was Hook, not Pan? Who knows...

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:14 am

I must try to get a copy of that, LS. Thanks for detailing it here.

As for discussion, I've done an awful lot of that on this thread already, going back to p4. But, of course, with regard to Jas. Hook, there can never be enough.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Sorry, relatives at my house and I've not had a chance to check the boards. Good gosh I hope no one thinks sending Private Messages to other Lost Girls is a bad thing? I use them all the time! Should not be looked at as a punishment but when people want to go off topic - why not PM or IM each other - great way to start a friendship.

Remember - if your conversation starts looking like a transcript from a phone call and/or has little to do with the thread topic then that conversation needs to take place via email, PM or IM.
BTW I have honestly been very interested in the discussions about the Barrie books - they have been very informative to me - I didn't know very much of the history of the books or plays.
Ty - Marie

marilaine

Re: The Patriot

Post by marilaine » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:21 pm

They are playing a Peter Pan themed storyline on Once Upon A Time this season, but the Peter Pan is so annoying that I keep saying, "I DO BELIEVE IN PIRATES. I DO! I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" nuke.gif :rave :tchuh: :finger:
The actor portraying Hook is good looking, but I still prefer Jason as HOOK! :adore
~ML :loco :brows :cool:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:15 pm

I agree with everything you said, marilaine. :cool:

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:19 pm

No one will ever surpass Jason in any portrayal of Hook. Perfection. Mr Barrie is most pleased.

However ... :cool:
Should our Isaacs fantasy of Hook be unavailable (for some inexplicable reason), Killian Jones is quite diverting.
And, after all, one can never have enough of Capt. Jas. Hook.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Just realised I said much the same thing before. Ah well. I must mean it.

Did I mention that we can never have enough of Hook?

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:09 am

laurielove wrote: Did I mention that we can never have enough of Hook?
I'm not sure ;-)

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:31 pm

And lest we forget how charming and handsome Capt Jas. Hook can be in either the Jason or Killian versions, Disney continues to up the ante. Tom Hiddleston is voicing a young Hook in the new Tinkerbell cartoon movie coming out. Hook is a young, finely drawn (sorry, a little Who Shot Roger Rabbit joke 'I'm not bad. I'm only drawn that way') sailor with both hands. Clearly we can see the (backwards) evolution of our charming, handsome captain, which I would like to credit to Himself's version. :) (No more Dustin Hoffman Hook!)

lol. Happy Thanksgiving all!

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:31 am

OMG, I hated the Dustin Hoffman version!

Return to “Older classics”