Tennis Anyone? at Woodstock

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Sarah

Tennis Anyone? at Woodstock

Post by Sarah » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:04 pm

I saw Tennis Anyone? at the Tinker Street Theater on October 2. The theater was small--only about 50-70 people could fit--it reminded me of a college lecture hall.

Donal Logue and Kirk Fox were there, and they were frieken' hilarious in the Q&A after the film..spoke highly of Jason's ability to play the nasty characters. They all aparently met on the set of the Patriot. Bill Paxton was actually supposed to play Johnny Greene, but DL found himself in multiple TV projects and the shooting date got postponed (a few times), and thanks to the allignment of the stars, Jason got to play the most disgusting character to date. It was awful--even though it was Jason, I still wanted someone to let him have it.

The film overall was funny and entertaining, and I would have to agree with some of the comments in the previous thread regarding editing and the gratuitous use of the word pussy. Overall it was a rather enjoyable. I didn't hear anything about release or distribution.

Hope you guys get a chance to see it!

Toodles,

Sarah

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:11 pm

Thanks for the frank appraisal, Sarah! Appreciate the review, and it was very groovy that you got to see them other two lads.
(*Don't tell Aussie that Bill Paxton was supposed to have the role of Johnny Green!*)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:39 pm

It was awful--even though it was Jason, I still wanted someone to let him have it.
Yeah but that's half the fun -- knowing what he's like, then seeing his polar opposite. Makes me cackle like an idiot. :D

Thanks for sharing your experience, Sarah. Especially the Q&A. We don't get to hear near enough about those.

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:39 pm

Thank you so much Sarah; only hope we get to see here in the Chicago
area!! :D Lucky girl, even though our Jason is nasty, it's still our Jason!!

Love,
Kate

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:44 pm

You're very welcome. Some other little bits that have since surfaced in my memory regarding the Q&A:
-The film originally had a budget of somewhere around 220,000, but ended up somewhere around 400,000+.
-The entire film was shot in 18 days (!!)
-Someone on the crew's stepdad was someone important at Panavision so they got all their camera equipment for free (I think it was just on loan).
-When asked how much improvisation there was in the dialogue, DL responded by explaining that most of it was scripted (written by Donal Logue and Kirk Fox), but because of the casting change with Johnny Greene, Jason got to tweak things a bit (he didn't really elaborate though).
-This was Donal Logue's first shot at directing, and he said it was a great experience because he had complete creative control.
-And Kirk Fox said that "Ria" is a real thing.

:D

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”