Sweet November; how did it end? Spoilers!

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

fruitbat

Sweet November; how did it end? Spoilers!

Post by fruitbat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:20 pm

I started a new thread as I require spoilers and didn't want to interfere with the general discussion on the other Sweet November thread.

I taped this movie last night, and even though I programmed my vcr to begin five minutes before it started and to end five minutes after, I still missed the last bit.

I checked on the imdb board and there was one thread with a couple of posts that suggests a different ending to what is discussed in the other "ending" threads.

I don't trust imdb-ers; I trust you guys. Can anyone tell me what happened after the Xmas scene? My recording ended in the middle of that.

Thanks

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Excuse me but I have trouble remembering names.
Girl says goodbye to Boy at end and leaves to go home to family so they can take care of her. I don't believe they say what happens to Boyfriend, little boy or neighbor friend.
I guess that's not much help. Sorry!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks grannybear. That seemed to be the consensus.
There was one thread which discussed how the girl's "suicide" wasn't realistic. Other posts on that thread discussed it as well, with no-one refuting that that was what happened, at least not the replies that I read; I didn't read all of them.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:17 am

I didn't answer yesterday because I wasn't certain of details, but I'm with Grannybear--it wasn't really suggested, I don't think, that Sara actively committed suicide per se, more that she had accepted that her time was up and she was going away to die. (Though she damn sure had enough drugs to take out the building, if that was her desire . . . )
I didn't remember that she went to her family though--I hope that's correct, because it really bugged me that she wouldn't allow Nelson to be with her. It was Sara's assertion that she wanted Nelson to remember her as a "Force of Life", that she didn't want (see, I thought the report was anybody) to see her . . . what, losing? Slipping away? Whatever, she thought it was somehow better for Nelson to keep the image of her running on the beach with other people's dogs or whatever.
And I have to say, I thought that was a real cop-out. I thought Nelson demonstrated maturity by expressing the desire to be with her and care for her when their roles were exchanged, and he was now the force of life and change; I thought Sara deprived him of something far more important than the opportunity to have no-strings sex with her when she refused his company.

But then I hated that movie anyhow. :evil:

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:06 am

Hilary the Touched wrote:
But then I hated that movie anyhow. :evil:
Me too. :oops: Although Jason, was usual, very good.
A great actor's talent is somehow more obvious when he/she is in a bad movie. They are able to rise above the script and give a real performance.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I went and pulled the DVD and rewatched the ending.
They spend one last night together. She runs away, out of the building. He follows her. She tells him "I'm going home. They know I'm coming"
This is why I thought her family was going to take care of her. (Since Chaz had been keeping them informed). Now I see what she says can be taken two different ways. Take you choice.
She tells him she loves him and for him to remember her. etc.etc.etc..
Not Jasons best movie though he was excellent as always. The plot was rather lame. It was worth watching just to see Jason in a sequin dress and high heels. He's a much, much better as a man. Sigh!

Mistress

Post by Mistress » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:52 am

Can't agree more. When I first watched it I was flicking through channels repeatedly and watched the start and thought 'lame' then turned back on a Jason scene. I had to do the whole 'He looks familair' thing. It was the eyes people, the eyes...*spaces out*
MM

SaraR

Re: Sweet November; how did it end? Spoilers!

Post by SaraR » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:52 am

I rented this back in... probably 2005 or 2006, only for Jason. I watched it once, and it was kind of sad. I just wish they'd changed it around some and made Keanu less of a part. I honestly can't stand him, and if I hadn't been watching it with my mom, I probably would have fast forwarded through most of the movie.

*shrug* It was a good story, but Keanu really makes me want to run screaming from any movie he's in. At least he wasn't faking a British accent in this one... :uhoh

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:13 am

OMG, Sara... You just reminded me of Keanu Reeve's British accent in Dracula! :lol

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 pm

At least you can kind of stuff Jackie in a box and forget about him. You do that to Keanu and girls come out of the woodwork bawling like NOOOOOOOOOOOOO KEANU, I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seriously NEVER had a thing for him, even all the way back to Bill & Ted. Everyone I knew had a thing for Billy the Kid. It just goes to show that Keanu = forgettable.

And yeah, that accent in Dracula was unforgivable, ugh. I don't get how half that movie had some of the most amazing British actors they could have found, and the rest was just... :???: Oh well.

I have a theory though, the minute I'm a fan of an actor, they always get either supporting roles or killed off all the time, so hey, at least Chaz didn't die. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Angel Tavington wrote:I still prefer Keanu Reeves over Jackie Chan :roll:

~me
What the heck is the name of that movie that Jackie Chan was in with Lee Evans? That was a REAL stinker.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:55 pm

After some effort, I managed to locate The Medallion. Never heard of it before!
Not much surprise that it's awful, though--it also featured Julian Sands, whom Dr. Kermode has described as a sucking black hole of charisma.

and I thought Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure was the movie Keanu was born to appear in. Unfortunately it was the only one.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm

have a theory though, the minute I'm a fan of an actor, they always get either supporting roles or killed off all the time, so hey, at least Chaz didn't die.
So that explains why Jason always gets killed in the movies LOL! Just kiddin' :hug

~me

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Hahaha, basically, I think, lmao. I just carry jinxes around me everywhere :lol

Course, the good thing is, when you get killed off in a movie, you still get to go home at the end of the filming and have a nice meal and a few days to noodle and toodle. Can't be all bad. :mrgreen:

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Well I watched this movie today and am left rather confused.

At the begining I genuinely hated the lead charaters. Found both so irritating and as this was the begining of the movie I was left wondering if I could get through it, plot seems to revolve around some kind of domination of a idiot by a very annoying woman. Then Jason arrived as the next door neighbour and immediately wishing he was in it more. Then we see his alter ego and Jason I must say looked spectacular. Jason had the best line in the entire movie when he talks about his dress been a sequined sensation. Chaz is the best character in the movie by far.

We then find out Sarah is terminally ill, the ill fated lovers part twice and then it ends. It is not a bad movie as such and I liked how they played with the normal expectations of the romantic comedy format and you feel like Jason had a lot of fun but I felt depressed at the end. I lost my Dad to Non Hodgkins Lynphoma so maybe it was that. San Francisco seemed lovely.

I also hated Nelson's friend and the ad man he went to diner with who was a giant *******.

I think I would have loved seeing Chas's life on screeen.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”