The Patriot

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, kjshd05, Marie, Gillian, Chari910, catloveyes, Helen8, LadyLucius

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:41 pm

I just now got round to seeing that, MG--I find it quite moving.

TavyTavyTavyTavy.
He was the first character I ever saw Jason Isaacs play, and I was just delighted with him. Like Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham, he seemed (unlike the earnest Yanks surrounding him) to have a sense of humour, to be aware of the ridiculousness of the story and just to be enjoying himself.

There are people whose doctorates derive from their analysis of the appeal of this sort of character--I think there are two components. One is that Tavington allows us to indulge in fantasies about aspects of masculine character that are just too frightening to contemplate in real life. There is a startlingly large number of women who fantasize about rape, for example, under circumstances when it couldn't possibly occur. Nobody really wants to be raped, but it can be stimulating to imagine it in complete privacy and safety. Among other things, as a 'victim' you can be totally submissive in a way that might revolt you in real life. You can indulge in behaviour you'd never permit yourself, because you're 'forced to'. You can even imagine, in complete violation of fact, that your 'attacker' is moved by intense desire for you, that you have awakened an undeniable lust.
And Tavington, as a fictional character who only exists when you turn your television on, is a very safe entity to include in that sort of thing.

The other primal attraction of such a character appeals to what my scientist friend calls the "lizard brain": this is clearly, from a biological stand-point, a good partner for perpetuation of the species. He'd plainly be able to provide for you--whatever you need he seems happy to help himself to; and he's plainly got plenty of, um, vitality. He's clad, like a cave-man, in plenty of fur and leather, and provided with any number of fetishist's accessories.
An iota of more evolved thought would send you screaming to the cellar while dialing 911 if you ever actually laid eyes on him, but the close-up shots of his face as he catches sight of his prey reveal such engagement, such arousal, that you can't help being caught up in his sheer animal energy.

Them's my thoughts on the matter anyhow.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:10 am

I thought he looked sexy and acted well, too.

And, lest Aussie Jo busts a gasket . . . or our gaskets . . ., it's Tavvy Tavvy Tavvy Tavvy!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:15 pm

Spoken like an editor! :D

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Oh boy...My sister went shopping today, and came home with this on DVD, so I borrowed it before she could even open it!! LOL

I wish I could tape it to tide me over until I get my own DVD copy, but I may be hangin' on to sis' for a while!!
:mrgreen:
Last edited by DhaniGrrrrl on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Ah, my fave movie. -smile- I never get tired of watching it again!!

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Just bought the extended version off of Amazon.com last night, plus sis asked for her copy back!

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Having your own copy is great, it's best. You can watch when you want, where you want, as many times as you want...

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:43 pm

Mmmmmmm, yes, especially when the extra Tavvie footage is incorporated in the movie... *sigh*

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:43 pm

I own 2 copies of the extended edition but I also want the single disc version, special edition. A deleted scene (the heart of a Villain) is not included on the extended one, grrr and I love that scene where Tavvie appears....well, I love every scene where he appears :oops: :oops: :oops:

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:59 pm

W00t! my copy of The Patriot arrived in today's mail!!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm

I must admit, I have not viewed the Patriot in a long time...
It was on HBO today, and still holds up well, after all these years..

Mr Jason's performance is still impressive as ever...

It's one of my all time favs...Tavvy... :woot

Soule

Post by Soule » Sun May 18, 2008 4:32 pm

I hadnt seen patriot for a very long time and tonight it was on, so purely for JI I watched it.

Tavington is gorgeous and the best acted character in the film, JI put everything in to this role. I could go on, those eyes, the hair you guys know the rest.

The film it self annoys me beyond belief, actually that isn't fair, Mel Gibson annoys me beyond belief, this is braveheart set in a different period, and part of the Mel Gibson period of boosting himself almost to a god like status, there are another 2 films I think after this which are Braveheart all over again but in differant periods.

Anyway back to Tavvington, he is a great character and although I don't like the film just for him it is well worth watching

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun May 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Soule, apologies if you've already read it, but my small response to Mel's grandiosity is here: http://www.jasonisaacsonline.com/page9.html

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun May 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Personally I think that Mel Gibson is good in the film, but (of course) I have to agree that Tavington is gorgeous and the best acted character.

~me

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon May 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Soule....I agree with you. Can't stand Mel Gibson. But Jason was fantastic.