The Last Minute

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:51 pm

he headbutts a DJ in a club and takes over the mic to sing

That's our Percy!!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Well......I got to the end but after the halfway mark I had to fast fwd to just see Jason. I couldn't make heads of tails of the plot.
There seemed to be an interview with Jason but I saw his introduction and then the screen went black and there was nothing else. I've been robbed.
I liked Jasons singing and dancing but thumbs down on the rest of the film. Maybe someday I'll try it again. Until then I'll just file it.

fruitbat

Re: The Last Minute

Post by fruitbat » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:09 pm

After watching one of Thunder's videos, Image, I was motivated to buy this.

Well, first off, I sort of liked Max Beesley after having seen him in Bodies and Hotel Babylon, so I was looking forward to this film. However......there were a lot WTF moments, some bits of it being too cute for itself, (never finding out what exactly what Billy's talent is) and overall it was just damn depressing, though Tom Bell (from Prime Suspect) was great as Grimshanks.

Jason's scenes were, to quote the Ninth Doctor "Fantastic!" The dance scenes, brilliant, and I will rewatch them again and again. But, as others have pointed out above, I couldn't help but notice the similarities in characters he's being offered, especially as I have also recently watched Divorcing Jack.

I watched a lot of the film a second time with the director's commentaries and I must admit, I enjoyed it much more with his input. I understood it more, for one thing, and he sounded, this will seem strange, kind of sweet, in his obvious pride in the finished product.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Glad I could inspire you :D

It's so long since I watched it, I only remember JI's scenes... :oops:

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Me too. I'm not a fan of this movie but I like the dance scenes.

"I've got you under my skin..."

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Fruitbat, it's plainly not the work of a master, but you're right, it does have moments.
I wasn't really troubled by the absence of explanation re Billy's talent, though--the story wasn't about his talent or what he did with it, it was about Billy's desperate pursuit of fame and its effect on him. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing in line at the grocery store and looked over the magazine covers and asked my child, "who the hell is that??" about someone like a Kardashian sister whose only claim to fame is, well, their claim to fame. :scratch

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm

I purchased a VHS copy on ebay for... 2 dollars, or something today. I figure I've already seen the best parts of the movie, but it'll be interesting to find out what actually happens.

I have to say though, the sections with Jason that I've seen, he's absolutely hilarious, and I have a feeling those will be the only parts I even pay attention to.

That and what the hell is that hairless cat looking thing? I saw it in thunder's video... :dunce Of course, that just makes it even funnier, hahaha.

I'm sure it won't be anywhere as weirded out as Romeo is Bleeding...

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Ok, my VHS copy came in the mail yesterday, and I watched it last night.

It's definitely all over the place, but I liked the time lapse photography quite a bit and if you think of it in terms of art, it's really cool.

Parts of it had a reminiscent quality of Peter Pan to me, so I wonder if that means Jason has played Captain Hook twice, in a sense. His parts were still my favorite, and the parts that I paid attention to the most. He definitely made the movie funny in a dark way, I just wish he'd been in it more.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”