Is the DVD worth buying?

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

RedHandedJill

Post by RedHandedJill » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 am

see that came out when I was on my mission....

is the DVD cheap?? and where can I buy it???

Red

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:19 pm

there are 2 versions of this DVD
Region 1 =USA
Region 2= UK
be careful when buying which one you get...
there are a few on ebay, I bought mine from Amazon, cause I
couldn't find it in any stores...

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:00 pm

Depending on how big a store it is, some bookstores like Barnes and Noble etc. may also carry it.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:40 am

Reading this thread made me wish I lived somewhere else. I found the State Within in DVD in two internet stores. And the other store had sold out this DVD (which is a good thing... if you watch the bigger picture.) No finnish subs, only in english. If... no, WHEN I buy this movie, I think I will have to watch it many times, no just because Jason's in it, but because it takes time to get use to the rhythm of the speech. English is not my mother tongue, so it takes time. But I promise you I'll do my best... and watch the DVD few ore times, just to make sute I got it right. :orangface

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:50 am

Your English is marvelous, Sandman--but yes, a lot of native English speakers confess that it can take them some time, as you observed, to absorb the cadence and accent of one of JI's characters.
I think you'll enjoy this one!!

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Thank you. They aired the show few months back. We taped them all, well we missed the firts one, but the darker side of the internet helped with that one. I am just now watching them for the first time. The ones we taped are easier to watch because of the finnish subs, but the first one took time and I am still not sure about it. The show moves so fast, so many thing happens and so many plotlines intervenes with each other. So while I was trying to concentrate in the rhythm I also had to concentrate on the happenings... confusing. It got easier towards the end though. :mrgreen: This is why the DVD with english subs helps.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Me, too. That's one of my "gotta have" items this Christmas. Along with Seasons 1&2 of Brotherhood. ;-)
~M'L(C) :cool:

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:08 pm

And TSW is so worth having....Sir Mark is fabulous!! :D

I found that I needed to watch it more than once to understand all that was going on and of course to watch our handsome Jason!!

Hugs,
Kate

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:14 pm

Turn on the Closed Captioning and it will help you understand it better. After the first couple of times I was used to the speech ad didn't need it anymore. That also helped me understand the shows on BBC and now I don't need it at all.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Good news, I finally got the money to buy this series on DVD. Thanks santa for that. *giggle*

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:18 pm

Santa rocks! He's ma man! <3
I've seen TSW three times and I loved it more and more.
It's so good, and Jason does an AMAZING job!
Great acting! and Sir Mark is.....damn....so sexy.
And generous!

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Well the DVD isn't here yet because it is well weekend, but thank goodness we still had those recordings. I watched TSW for the second... no wait third time today. And it still surprises me. And it makes me wish that guys like Sir Mark really excisted.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:04 pm

This is the show that introduced me to Jason and to me its the tops. I love him in Brotherhood which to me is one of the top TV shows ever but it's nice to see Jason as one of the good guys.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:42 pm

I hope to find this one on DVD somewhere......perhaps I can order it through Target, and have it delivered to the house.
Oh goody,goody, goody! *dancingupanddownwithjoy*
~M'L(C):adore

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:31 pm

DEFINITELY worth searching out on DVD.

It's so densely plotted (hard to follow) that I couldn't imagine watching it in one-hour-a-week doses.

I imported the DVD from the UK and watched it in 2 sittings. (It should be widely available now though.)

Return to “The State Within”