I'm 4 sixths of the way through....

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

AussieJo

I'm 4 sixths of the way through....

Post by AussieJo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:01 am

....and loving it!

I got the DVD from Amazon UK (noice crisp clean PAL video - not that nasty NTSC Merkin video for me!) last week, but have only got around to watching it now.

Great stuff! Its good to see Jason in a nice meaty (and rather sexy!) role.

I found the first ep rather confusing beacause there was SO much to follow, but I was glad I presevered. I ended up sitting through 4 hours straight.

I just have a few minor quibbles:

* What is it with the ambassador doing all this heroic running around??? Saving people from burning cars (or not), doing detective work, saving death row prisoners (or not), looking after the welfare of little kiddies, etc......and without any sort of a security presence. AND he has his eye on No 10 Downing Street. If he was a REAL ambassador, he'd be some RETIRED politician given a cushy job as a reward for serving his party, and spend his time sitting on his fat arse not giving a shit about anything. I was half expecting Sir Mark to rip off his suit, and there be a Superman costume beneath it.

* "Wow, wasn't watching a guy get the lethal injection INTENSE. Let's shag!"

* Lots of panning + tracking + flashing + heaving drinking = puking! :D

* I've read of this compared to 24, but I think it's more like "Spooks Lite". (I think "Spooks" was renamed "MI5" or similar in the USA because of the racist connotation of the word "spook"....)

That being said, I'm loving it! I just wouldn't be happy if I couldn't have a shot at a couple of thing that annoyed me about it...

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:57 pm

I think Sir Mark did have that fat, cushy job, in the first episode we see him returning from London, with Phil asking him who would be his replacement, and Nicholas asking when he was going to leave..
Even Caroline knew he would be leaving, as in Sir Mark saying
"Does everyone know?" and she replies, "This is Washington"...

The plane crash and subsequent events is what turns Sir Mark into that superhero, a very Reluctant one, I might add...

His past comes back to haunt him, and he has a "change of Heart", he can no longer just sit back and see innocent people hurt or countries taken advantage of situations. He sets out to make right his past wrongs..
He was a haunted man, and I dont think he knew how much until his safety world came crumbling down around him...then not only does his past come back, but everyone starts to die...and he is left to care for a god son he never knew (I still think, IMHO, that is his child)...

His security guy is Nicholas, and that is explained in episode 5, when he goes to his apartment and confronts him about all the goings on..

Any who, I have no idea about the getting his kit off after watching an execution, but some people need comfort in that way...

I do like Sir Mark and Jane together, they have a chemistry, even though the actress Eva B is alot younger than Mr Jason...she is/was 31.
But you dont seem to notice it...

It must have been good for her, cause she went back for more...LOL
Was there any doubt? LOL Sorry, became off track there....

Please sit back and finish watching, episode 6 does make you go
mmmmmm...., ok, now that makes sense....
ENJOY

'

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:01 pm

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Aussie! Like Kim says the story really doesn't start coming together for the audience till episode 5 & 6 - and even then there are still a few plot twists thrown in for good measure.

I have to admit being utterly confused the first few ep's myself, but it was worth it to persevere.
"Wow, wasn't watching a guy get the lethal injection INTENSE. Let's shag!"
I suppose it beats going out, getting drunk and getting the mother of all hangovers.

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:34 pm

kjshd05 wrote:I think Sir Mark did have that fat, cushy job, in the first episode we see him returning from London, with Phil asking him who would be his replacement, and Nicholas asking when he was going to leave..
Even Caroline knew he would be leaving, as in Sir Mark saying
"Does everyone know?" and she replies, "This is Washington"...

'
No - he's returning to London to take up a political career. Most pollies become ambasadors after their career is over.

And thanks for the spoilers - I only finished up to the end of ep 4! (_|_)

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:36 pm

sorry AJ, when you said you sat thru 4 hrs straight, I thought that was after you watched the first ep, meaning you watched eps 1 thru 5.
Dont worry, not much spoilers

I dont know much about politicians and ambassadors, but it seemed like Sir Mark was cruising along until he could leave.

Sir Mark's Bio:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/thestatewith ... ydon.shtml

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:07 am

I lent it to my mother, and she LOVED it.
She watched it all the way though.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:40 pm

One sitting? That's a hell of a marathon!

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:37 am

Well, two sittings.....but in under 24 hours.

Return to “The State Within”