Box Office

A forum for discussion of this Paul Greengrass-directed project, also starring Matt Damon and Sean Huze

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Box Office

Post by Chari910 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Not doing well at all :-(

In 3003 theaters-around $15 Mil for the first weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/char ... -12&p=.htm

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:45 am

Hey - I did my part with the DH. Really though it should not be altogether surprising. The Hurt Locker did really awful at the box office. It seems the American public is not ready for a war movie on Iraq yet. Plus I'd have to say the trailer they showed on TV as advert made me dizzy.

However I liked the movie for the most part and I'm glad I went.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:58 am

the Wall Street Journal, claims the movie came in 2nd behind Alice
in Wonderland, but you couldn't read the article, without joining, so I
didnt...that was the headline, GZ second after Alice....

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:32 am

the Wall Street Journal, claims the movie came in 2nd behind Alice
in Wonderland
and that's not so bad, is it? :((
I don't know but maybe the audience is tired of seeing war movies (this thought just hit me now)

~me

kate, again

Post by kate, again » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:05 am

Not great figures, but a good bit higher than Universal predicted.

This may sound silly, but a big factor in Green Zone box office was certainly the beginning of March Madness - NCAA Basketball Tournament opening weekend. The target audience - 18-25 year-old males - would certainly be torn by placing their bums on a bar stool, the comfy sofa or a movie theater seat.

Just food for thought.

Kate, again

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:07 am

Not being a huge basketball fan I did not even think of that Kate. Yup that could have had something to do with it. Unfortunately March Madness does not let up for a while.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:22 am

My theatre was pretty full but it had rained for a couple of days and I think everyone was stir crazy.
If it hadn't been for Jason I would not have gone. After reading all the postings I'd like to go again because I can see there are things I missed.
But guess I'll wait for the DVD.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:50 am

Slightly worse numbers from Box Office Mojo. Guess eveyone wants to stay in Wonderland.

The Iraq-set action thriller posted a mediocre estimated $14.5 million on approximately 3,400 screens at 3,003 sites, and it will ultimately gross only a fraction of its reported $100 million production budget.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2686&p=l.htm

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 pm

That really has to hurt after the ads they have been showing for it. Those had to cost some serious money. I'm also sure that Matt did not come cheap plus a ton of location shooting - wonder what the film cost to make?

blisster

Post by blisster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:18 pm

I've been reading all morning how it's this year "Land of the Lost" but even worse cause of the cost and marketing of the film :mad:

Anyway, I did see it, and IMO the theatre was 85% full. I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did (kudos to the guy who played Freddie) though I wasn't a fan of the photography/camera work.

Aww Jason, when am I going to see you in movie worthy of your talent?

m

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Matt Damon’s Green Zone got a lukewarm second place reception, banking only $14 million against its $100 budget. With only $9 million more from its international screenings, Green Zoneis looking to end up in the red.
:-( oh well

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Weekend- ... 17553.html

~me

Gillian
Site Admin

Re: Box Office

Post by Gillian » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Chari910 wrote:Not doing well at all :-(
Hmmm.
Perhaps Matt Damon has reached his saturation point.

blisster

Post by blisster » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Here's an OpEd piece from the LA Times

It's dispiriting to sit back today and soak in just how poorly "Green Zone" performed over the weekend, earning a meager $14.3 million. Depression sets in because the Paul Greengrass movie is legitimately great, a potent thriller and action picture that entertains no matter your politics (we're not the only ones who feel this way -- the movie is the second best-reviewed wide release of the year according to meta-review site Movie Review Intelligence).

But what's even more discouraging about the results is that they offer definitive proof that even the highest-quality filmmaking and the most palatable marketing hook can't save a movie set in a tumultuous Middle East. This was a movie retailed as a Jason Bourne-like thriller made by the director and the star of same, with all the double-crosses, chases and explosions one would want from such a union. And yet no matter deftly it was executed, audiences didn't see pass the topicality. The simple presence of Iraq kept people home, as it has before for films of so many different stripes, tones and budgets.

m

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Yup - that's prety much what I said yesterday. For a lot of people it is still too fresh.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 pm

I think a lot of people just want to erase Iraq from their mind.

Return to “Green Zone”