Reviews

Jason Isaacs is slated (mystifyingly) to portray Taylor Lautner's father in this suspense thriller.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Reviews

Post by Helen8 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Just saw it. As belladisordine said, Jason is in it more than we thought. And, the movie isn't the stinker most of the reviews made it out to be. Luckily, Lautner has seasoned supporting castmates that make the most of their roles. But it does get a little slow when it's just him and the girl. It was worth the $6 each for DH and me.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Guess I'll take in an early show next week when all the young ones are in school.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:44 am

I saw it yesterday too and I must say that I enjoyed it. Not the best movie I've ever seen in my life LOL but it's not bad. I don't regret seeing it.
Love the kick-boxing scene between Jason and Taylor- the best scene in my opinion. ;-)

~me

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:07 pm

I too saw the movie on the weekend. Paid my $17.50 to see it (not showing at my $6 independent family cinema due to school hols).

On the whole it's not a bad movie. It's not great and I have to say that poor Taylor Lautner may be a kick-arse action guy, but he doesn't have much charisma IMHO.

Like everyone has said, I was pleased at the amount of screentime Jason has in the movie. Not only does he get to fight Taylor Lautner in the main "fight" scene. He does a handy job despatching one of the bad guys, being all macho and action hero himself, as is Maria Bello.

I stayed til the end of the movie as it was OK enough to keep my attention, if not my credulation.

Here's the best review I've seen so far (and it's not that good). Not sure if it's already been posted.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/09/26/abduc ... w-swimfan/

But the best part was listening to the young girls up the back of the cinema, gasping and screaming at certain scenes, poor things. ;-)

Hooroo,
Carole

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Another interesting review. I loved the way they referred to the "wonderful Jason Isaacs".

We all know that.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Okay. Some of the technology stuff unnerved me.

I didn't know that if a smart phone is in use that anyone can listen to both ends of the conversation. Is that really possible? If so, I'm sticking to my clam shell phone (AKA cell-asaurus).

Also, it appeared that the Russians had a backdoor into the CIA computer network. Man, I hope the actual CIA has 50 levels of passwords to prevent that.

I know that new laptops come equipped with internal cameras, so it's possible for someone to turn it on remotely and "see" you. Guess if I get a new laptop, I'll have to comb my hair and apply some makeup while surfing the net. :razz

inamac

Post by inamac » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:01 am

crawfoc99 wrote:Here's the best review I've seen so far (and it's not that good). Not sure if it's already been posted.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/09/26/abduc ... w-swimfan/

But the best part was listening to the young girls up the back of the cinema, gasping and screaming at certain scenes, poor things. ;-)

Hooroo,
Carole

That is a fun review! I like the comments - particularly the one about the heavyweight cast making the film sound like an awards contender (I think every great actor should appear in at least one contender for the Razzies...) ;)

I doubt I'll have the time or opportunity to see in the cinema - I may even wait until it turns up on TV -

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:49 am

Oh my gosh, each review gets funnier and funnier (sadly). I am glad that all of the big gun names have good reviews connected to them (yay, JI!).

Erm...It's vaguely disturbing that the best thing that they said about the lead female actor is that she has nice eyebrows... :shock:

I think that I am going to have to Netflix...errr...Qwikster it- this way when TL's scenes become unbearable, I can put it back into the envelope and send it away. Who knows maybe it will become one of those guilty pleasure movies that I *must* watch everytime it comes on TV (like Cutting Edge) and stay up until 3 AM to watch, but...

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 am

It's not in theatres here before Oct. 10 (or 7?). But I saw JI's scenes yesterday. (He had about 10 minutes screen time - the way I count it). I liked what he did with the little he had to do. But this is not my type of movie... I'll buy the DVD though. (In case I want to make a video from it :oops: )

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:55 am

Finally we see a nice review! (well, it's better than the others we've seen...)
Abduction is OK, but I won't get the dvd when it comes out. It's not a film that I would watch over and over....

~me

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 am

Helen8 wrote:
I know that new laptops come equipped with internal cameras, so it's possible for someone to turn it on remotely and "see" you. Guess if I get a new laptop, I'll have to comb my hair and apply some makeup while surfing the net. :razz
I'll leave myself as I am. Maybe that will scare them off and they won't come back.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Never thought of that, grannybear. Hmm. :gah:

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:50 am

Great mention of Jason.
http://www.cine-vue.com/2011/09/theatri ... ction.html
Isaacs, in particular, is as brilliant and fascinating as ever in his rendition of Nathan's all-American, strict-but-loving 'father', yet Singleton's Abduction could have definitely done with more of Isaacs' irony and screen presence.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:14 am

Well shoot Char - we say that about all of Jason's movies. More Jason! :D

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:34 am

Absolutely..."ALWAYS MORE JASON!!" :D What is wrong with these people and when will they EVER learn... :roll:

Return to “Abduction”