Interviews

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

grannybear

Re: Interviews

Post by grannybear » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 pm

I went to Google and clicked onto our name and it bought me to the header page for the Website. I clicked onto the words Message Board and here I am. Don't know what has changed.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Too bad that interviewer did not know how much money those dolls have raised for wonderful charieties like St Judes Childrens Hospital. The dolls are not only well made, executed with a unique sense of humor, crafted perfectly to resemble the character they were based on, but they also were always sold using ebay auctions to benefit charities (in honor of Jason Isaacs.) Unfortunately I don't own one of the dolls but I have bid on several of them only to lose to one of my worthy fellow Lost Girls. I guess the interviewer was trying to be amusing - I'd be upset more about his blathering about biceps than a few fans who get a kick out of character dolls.

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Charlotte Johnson posted a pic on yfrog at the end of the Book Club with Jason.

http://yfrog.com/h4729txj

Hooroo,
Carole

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks for that spirited defense, Marie!
Laurielove, I am likewise somewhat bewildered by the assertion that you found this site first through the "dolls" page. Are you sure you wouldn't have gotten to that page via a direct link, one perhaps mercifully forgotten??
This is the message board OF the main website, the latter of which is increasingly neglected because you guys do a way better and more interesting job of updating stuff than I ever did. Can't be arsed, as Aussiejo would say. But to echo Grannybear, I'd expect that any self-respecting search engine would have taken you to the index page rather than the dolls. The official title of the action figures' page is "page 9."
Either that writer did do a bit of poking around on the website (which also, permit me to point out, includes a very comprehensive CV, a contacts page, and *coughpinchedfromCharcough* a gallery), or he may have started with an actual search for a JI action figure. Either way, it seemed like a lot of space to devote to a discussion of Jason Isaacs' totty quotient (especially for a male writer . . . :-| )

As Marie says, the dolls (or action figures) were a bit of silly fun. Those of you who weren't around when they first appeared may not even be aware that they were auctioned or raffled, with the proceeds going to St. Jude Children's Hospital. I don't actually have them all ensconced in my house, peering down at me as I eat my JIeO's out of my Jason Isaacs bowl while wearing my Jason Isaacs pajamas.

But I can certainly understand that they're easy to make mock of, and can give a misleading impression of this community (one reason they're on page 9!). I thank you for your candor, Laurielove, and will add something to that first page soon to explain about the auctions (imparting a thin veneer of sanity and respectability, I hope :mrgreen: ).

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:56 pm

as I eat my JIeO's out of my Jason Isaacs bowl while wearing my Jason Isaacs pajamas.

I've got those, too! :cool:

Bellatrixie

Post by Bellatrixie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:33 am

I have to admit that I also found this site because of the action figures. I was looking for "jason isaacs sean bannon" (because I'm interested in 1/6 scale movie figures and such) and there it was in the 3rd place on google.

I don't think the figures itself are the problem as they are extremely well made (I'm still fascinated by them and all the work that went into making them), I guess it's the stories and comics and so on. If there was just a simple gallery with pics of the figures, without much text and without the headline "The Travesties", everything would be fine I think. ;-)

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:29 am

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:36 am

He looks good; nice and animated.

Maybe out of fear of being eaten by them.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:00 pm

I cannot remember what it was I first googled but it probably had 'lost girls Jason Isaacs' in it. It certainly didn't have 'doll' or 'action figure' in it. I was looking for the message boards which had been recommended to me (which I did not find at first) but I came across that page pretty quickly. No, it probably wasn't the first link from google (I can't honestly remember), but I found myself there unwittingly (not that it mattered especially) pretty quickly.

I was playing devil's advocate. I understand exactly the tongue-in-cheek spirit in which they were made (extremely carefully and assiduously too) and I think the money they have made for charity is outstanding (which I've only just discovered). But I came across them relatively out of context (as did the journalist from the Guardian) and I admit that the initial impression was not one that appealed. And I adore Mr I.

This is simply to point out that if I felt that way, then perhaps a random journo from a widely read and respected newspaper would have a field day and hence explain why he put those comments. It's the sort of ammunition he would have loved.

Yes, I'm honest. You know I love this site and think you guys are wonderful and I love sharing my opinions and thoughts with you. I, as someone who has not been a part of this site for as long as some others, was simply trying to shed a little light on why that newspaper comment may have been written.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm

laurie, we're pleased you're here; don't ever think otherwise. We're just stunned by how the dolls and, by extention, we Jason fans were viewed by one strange journalist, and that of all the things on our site, he chose to disparage the dolls. nuke.gif

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 pm

If he thought the dolls made for disturbing fans can you imagine if he had found some fanfic???????? We don't allow fanfic on this site but other sites do - I can just imagine some of the comments he would make about that..... ;-)

laurielove, had I seen that page out of context I would have found it strange as well. I just blame the journalist for cherry picking our site and not really researching the fans of Mr Isaacs before making such a rude comment.

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Love high res pics from Jason's appearance on Loose Women on 16 June, Kim.

Pity it costs you to use the pics on Rex's service. But they are lovely to view, even if thumbnail format.

Hooroo,
Carole

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:05 pm

that came in a google alert...I posted it without reading it...sorry for not being able
to use the pics :-(

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:11 pm

kjshd05 wrote:that came in a google alert...I posted it without reading it...sorry for not being able to use the pics :-(
Hey, don't worry about it. We are always happy to look at pics of Jason, no matter how they come. :D

Remember ANY Jason, is GOOD Jason! ;-)

Hooroo,
Carole

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Carole, were you able to view the hi-res version at Rex?? I could only see thumbnails.

Return to “Case Histories”