Review

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Angel Tavington

Re: Review

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:48 am

I luv him as Lucius, but I think he looks better with darker hair -it gives a nice contrast to his gorgeous blue eyes.

~me

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:24 am

Those DS comments are hilarious. I should imagine that after this series, that is exactly what that phrase will come to imply! :cool:

Yeah, I think the hair colour thing was a reference to him being so associated with Lucius. I don't think even the reviewer seriously thought he was blond (Really!!!!??? Are people that dim? Who the hell would have hair like that!!??) but to a large portion of people who know anything about him - he is Lucius in their minds.

I always thought he brought new meaning to the phrase/song 'Long Haired Lover from Liverpool' ...

aaa.gif

If you do not know this song, I would recommend NOT finding out. :shock:

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 pm

ScreenWatch website:
Case Histories ended with the sixth episode at 9pm on BBC1. The Ruby Films production, which stars Jason Isaacs as novelist Kate Atkinson’s private detective hero, Brodie, launched to 5.4m (20.9%), but has averaged 4.3m (17.1%) over the first five editions. The final programme was watched by 4m (16.6%), giving a Performance Index of 78.2.
Performance Index Apparrently a figure below 100 is below average. What???? I thought it did really well with that many audience.

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Love this link from a tweet by 'pauseliveaction' Jo the Hat.

http://pauseliveaction.wordpress.com/20 ... on-isaacs/

Great seeing Jason as an object of lust LOL. Something we've all know for ages, right? ;-)

Hooroo,
Carole

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:53 pm

I thought it did really well with that many audience.

Unfortunately, it lost audience with each showing. That's not viewed as favorable.

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:02 am

Case Histories wasn't well served by its placement opposite another ITV detective series, and the fiasco of the Canadian Grand Prix which creamed off a lot of viewers who would have been delivered by 'Antiques Roadshow'. A lot depends on how the BBC decided to interpret the figures - in fact it's done a lot better than the other new shows in the 'British Drama' season (The Shadow Line dropped viewers and ended up with 1.9m for the last episode and I've seen that considered a 'success').

4m still puts it at the top of the non-soap BBC dramas. And the i-player figures aren't yet in.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 am

Great seeing Jason as an object of lust LOL. Something we've all know for ages, right?
Yep. However, I don't like the expression "object of lust" LOL. Maybe it's just me. I hope he gets more recognized for his amazing talent and outstanding acting, not (only) for his looks.

~me

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 am

The BARB ratings are now out for the first three episodes (they run 8 days behind), and their position in the BBC chart.)

Ep 1 = 6.42m (Number 6)

Ep 2 = 5.56m (Number 9)

Ep 3 = 4.91m (this is the episode affected by the Grand Prix overrun - still at number 12 in the BBC weekly chart though).

Over on ITV Scott & Bailey (directly opposite CH, and the only drama series in the ITV top 20) got 6.99 against Ep 1 and 6.11 against ep 3).

Of course the BBC doesn't need high viewing figures to justify advertising revenue - but these are good figures for a non-soap drama.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks for that, inamac. You said
Of course the BBC doesn't need high viewing figures to justify advertising revenue
Why is that? not many competitions?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:58 am

but these are good figures for a non-soap drama.

Thanks for your interpretation, inamac. I guess I'm looking at the numbers through jaded, U.S. TV eyes, where if a show is not a hit right out of the gate or if the ratings don't stay the same (not losing any of the audience) or don't increase with each showing, then it will be short-lived. Your comments bode well for CH. Time will tell.

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Chari910 wrote:Thanks for that, inamac. You said
Of course the BBC doesn't need high viewing figures to justify advertising revenue
Why is that? not many competitions?
There is no advertising on the BBC - it's funded by a licence fee paid by viewers - and is required to provide programming to satisfy those viewers - including minority interests. Viewing figures are used to assess how well the organisation is meeting its remit.

A BBC programme with high viewing figures is likely to be looked at favourably by BBC Overseas sales where advertisers will be interested in those figures - but they're relatively unimportant for the domestic market.

The important phrase for British viewers and programme makers is "This programme justifies the licence fee." (As far as I'm concerned Case Histories has justified this year's licence fee - and that for a couple of years to come...)

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks for the great statistics, Inamac. I think the numbers are pretty respectable for a Beeb drama. I know I was an iplayer viewer and will probably watch the remaining episodes a few times before they're gone from the website.

Let's just hope it's enough to get a second series greenlighted!

Hooroo,
Carole in Oz.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:43 am

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:13 am

Always good to see a positive review...fingers crossed for a second series. I'm in love with Jackson Brodie!

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 am

"Isaacs can do it all: hard man, sensitive man, funny man, bruised man."

That's what we're talkin' about.

Return to “Case Histories”