Case Histories locations

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

CaseHistories

Case Histories locations

Post by CaseHistories » Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 am

Hi all, I will in Edinburgh for 4 days this June. One major reason I want to revisit Edinburgh is because of Case Histories and a certain brilliant actor.
I am also a Sherlock fan and there is a good website detailing Sherlock locations in London and beyond - places you can visit in connection with the show.
How about Case Histories? Anyone know of any place I should visit?

This series 2 picture of JI sitting with his dog at the bottom of a flight of stairs, for example, anyone know where JI was?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... s-ep1.html

Or what about this from series 1. Where was he standing?
http://www.steffanhill.co.uk/#/casehistories/1

Series 2 is airing soon. For those of you who are so lucky to be able to watch it, please let me know of any relevant places I should visit.

Thank you!

fruitbat

Re: Case Histories locations

Post by fruitbat » Sun May 12, 2013 1:28 pm

CH, steps like those are all over the place. I took a pic of the Guthrie steps because I'd been assured that they appeared in the mini North and South. These steps look less steep than others I recall. In any case, I posted the pic with Jason and pooch in my facebook page asking if anyone could identify them. :D

As for the second pic, he might just be standing in front of a backdrop.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun May 12, 2013 4:53 pm

The steps with the dog look like the ones that lead from beside the Bank of Scotland headquarters at the top of The Mound down to Market St. They are called The News Steps (because the building next to them used to be a newspaper office). I am not 100% sure they are the ones, but the big clue for me is that the steps are wide enough to have a central handrail. There are lots of steps in Edinburgh, as the place is very hilly.

Your second link gives loads of photos! If you mean the one with the clock tower and castle behind Jackson, it is taken from Calton Hill (which has the Nelson Monument with the time ball controlling the castle's One O'Clock Gun, a building that looks like an unfinished Parthenon, and an old observatory). The clock tower is the Balmoral Hotel next to Waverley Station. The hotel used to be called the North British Hotel, and was owned by the railway company. Traditionally the clock is 3 min fast to allow people to catch their trains.

HTH.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Don't miss Victoria Street. Jackson's office is there. There are a few units with the bay window so you kind of guess which one it is.

CaseHistories

Post by CaseHistories » Sun May 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Wow, a big thank you for answering my questions.

Fruitbat: North and South locations are on my to do list. Can you imagine JI playing Mr. Thornton??

Servalan: News Steps? OK, I've got to see those! And yes, with my second link, I meant the one with the clock tower and castle.
Carton Hill – North and South shot from there also.
I will be staying near Waverley Station. Interesting tidbit about the clock!

Chari910: Victoria Street here I come.

Please let me know if anything relevant comes up in connection with Series 2.

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 am

Another location is the building they use for the police HQ where Louise works. It's actually Edinburgh City Council's offices on Market St, behind Waverley Station. Through its windows on interior shots you can see the Balmoral Hotel clock. IRL the building has a weird piece of art outside, a man standing on top of a piece of freestanding scaffolding - so you will know that's the right building. The best view of it is from Jeffrey St, which forks off from Market St towards the Royal Mile.

As Char says, Jackson's office is on Victoria St, which is a steep hill down to the Grassmarket from George IV Bridge. If you are standing at the top of the hill, the office is on the LHS. Shots in series 1 played with the location, showing Phil Davies walking to it on the upper level above the street on the RHS, which is actually opposite the office location as shown by the view through the office window.

CaseHistories

Post by CaseHistories » Mon May 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks Servalan, with more digging, I found this picture for filming on Victoria Street. Thanks for clarifying the RHS, LHS part.

https://twitter.com/Robin_Mitchell/stat ... 44/photo/1

With Google Street View, I was able to see the man on scaffolding you mentioned. Nice tip about the view from Jeffrey Street.

I have got to rewatch Series 1. Have preordered Series 2, with some luck, it will arrive right before my trip :D

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey servalan, I regret not hooking up with you when Susan and I went to Edinburgh last Sept! You know all the locations. :D

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Mon May 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Go and see the pandas in the zoo! Very cute even when asleep, which they inevitably will be. I was last up when they were filming, but I couldn't impose my fan girling on my friend. :bag: It is the most beautiful and beguilingly intimate city. And, yes, there are a lot of steps, especially in the Old Town.

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue May 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Yes, Char, it's a shame we didn't meet up.

Princes Street Gardens was used a few times for filming too.

The cafe with lots of plants, where Jackson met up with the sisters in the first episode, was actually one of the Royal Botanic Gardens glasshouses - I believe it was the one where you now enter and pay for the glasshouse tour (the actual gardens of the Botanics are free - and indeed years ago the glasshouses were free too). It used to be the Palm House, but some of the trees got too big and had to be cut down. You can go into the very first part without paying. If you like gardens, the Botanics is a lovely place on a fine day. You might even see a wedding there!

Re the pandas - I have to admit I haven't been to the zoo since they arrived, mainly because the zoo is now so expensive. But I have seen real live pandas, in San Diego Zoo, before the Edinburgh ones arrived. :D

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:32 pm

With some pausing of the Case Histories DVD and lucky google map searches, the address of Jackson Brodie's offices are at 6 Victoria Street, Edinburgh EH1.

Jason's Mews address is No. 30 Carlton Terrace Mews, Edinburgh EH7, down the end of the Royal Mile and turn left at Holyrood Palace.

I loved the view from Calton Hill when I was in Edinburgh and caught up with Servalan a couple of years ago.

Here's a good site with locations from North and South (another favourite of mine). http://northandsouth2004.com/?page_id=1072

Hooroo,
Carole

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:47 pm

A little visual help.

You can see Jackson thru the first window from the left.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 am

servalan wrote: Your second link gives loads of photos! If you mean the one with the clock tower and castle behind Jackson, it is taken from Calton Hill (which has the Nelson Monument with the time ball controlling the castle's One O'Clock Gun, a building that looks like an unfinished Parthenon, and an old observatory).

HTH.
How did I miss this? I loved Calton Hill. I shall bookmark this thread in case I ever get to Edinburgh again.

CaseHistories

Post by CaseHistories » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:40 pm

I think I have the name of the steps where Jackson Brodie sat with the dog. The Vennel Steps!

http://www.edinfilm.com/news/Case-Histo ... PageSize=1
http://rightprofilephotography.wordpres ... 03/vennel/

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:39 pm

It looks like you've cracked the steps, CaseHistories. Well done. :hands The surrounding buildings all look right, and the Vennel leads into a normal street at the top, where you can see the row of houses at the back of the photo. If you google for other photos of The Vennel, it all looks good. The Vennel goes from one end of the Grassmarket to Heriot Place, next to George Heriot's School. I think the photo was taken near the top, as there are a lot of "landings" along the steps.

The last episode had some filming in North Queensferry, north of the Forth.

Return to “Case Histories”