Reviews

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

LadySekhmet

Re: Reviews

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:18 pm

But, yet, they *still* keep us in suspense! (shakes fist at Awake/NBC) :bat

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Awake, which doesn’t have a premiere date yet,

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:10 pm

"Alias" actor to join "Awake" cast...
I have no idea who that man is (Don't watch a lot of TV - what's Alias???)

I think the "not setting a premiere date"- issue they are having is getting really ridiculus. It's like they are waiting for the perfect moment, but they will never know if a moment is perfect or not before they put it on the air. (So what are they waiting for?)
Wating until people give up on it isn't going to help.

...and also, I want to go from the "hoping I ever get to see this" to "looking forward to see it" state of mind. (Not like they care...)

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:07 pm

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ask-Matt-Smash-1043292.aspx
But first, you have to accept a premise that on paper seems like a downer: a man caught between two realities after a car accident, one in which his wife died and the other in which he lost his son. And yet somehow Awake finds uplift in this poignant existential dilemma, though as one of his shrinks wonders, how this situation can be sustained over the long haul is anyone's guess. Which is why it's so smart for the show to include an intriguing procedural element — thus, making it possibly more commercial than you'd think — because the hero (Jason Isaacs, who's incredibly compelling) is a detective, and the cases in each reality begin to bleed into each other (how very Fringe!) and help him solve the cases. It's a truly original series, which always gives me cause to worry, but it is exactly the sort of show NBC should be trying, even if it doesn't work. I doubt anyone is predicting an easy ride for Awake, but my hope is that the viewer isn't asleep at the wheel for this one.
The pilot has an 10* average rating on IMDb so far (9 votes)... Don't know how much that means, but if it means anything, it's positive. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942174/

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:16 pm

The pilot has an 10* average rating on IMDb so far (9 votes)...

I thought 8 of out 9 of those votes would be some of us helping Awake, but . . . 6 of the votes are from males! That means there are a lot of people besides us interested in the show.
That rocks! :hands

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:59 pm

In the new TV Guide, Matt Roush sings its praises and voices his doubts about its survival. Gee, thanks, Matt. :bang

Awake is the sort of show I would happily lose sleep over. Hauntingly, daringly original, a psychological mystery that teases the mind while tugging the heart, this brave new series is so unconventional it feels like a dream. It's the sort of bold experiment you only find on a network that has no choice but to take risks.

When one of his shrinks worries that Michael's situation "will eventually become unsustainable," it's hard not to project a similar concern toward something as offbeat and emotionally risky as Awake. Even if it doesn't ultimately work out, no one can accuse NBC of having been asleep at the wheel. And don't let that be your excuse for not giving this fascinating show a try.

http://www.tvguide.com/keywords/matt-roush

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Better be on at 9pm (CST) because otherwise I'm gonna miss it. :rave :finger:

~ML aaa.gif :heart

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:35 am

From Digital Spy:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/tubeta ... -hype.html
The dependable Jason Isaacs makes for a strong lead as Britten, though his most interesting moments come when the cracks in the detective's stoic demeanour begin to show.
:woot

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:45 am

thanx thunder :hug
another interesting article :hands

thanx Helen, rocking that Matt R has positive thoughts

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks!

I think he might be right about the procedural aspect, because that same thought struck me (& the only two criminal/law shows I watch are NCIS and the Mentalist). And, while I much prefer the personal story (and that is the whole point of the show afterall), some, who are expecting CIS, Law & Order, or insert generic law/criminal justice show here, will be very disappointed. And if the reaction is to try to beef up the procedural in order to appeal to those folks, then Britten's story will get lost. (frets) :-|

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:39 pm

OK one article I read gave me the impression that they definately know how it will end. This one says Kyle is unsure of how it will end. Hmmmmm

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 pm

I guess they're trying to keep us talking about it. Can't hurt.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Besides - even if Kyle thinks he knows how it ends - he can always change his mind.

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:52 pm

This review is based on the first 3/4 episodes, so it has a wider perspective than just the reviews of the pilot. Haven't really seen any bad reviews so far (that we should take seriously):

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/review-nb ... s-march-1/

Return to “Awake”