TV Ratings/Numbers

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

RoseannaLara

Re: TV Ratings/Numbers

Post by RoseannaLara » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:52 pm

[quote="inamac"]Still no news about foreign sales. I can hardly 'friend' a FB account if I'm not even being given a chance to see it. What on Earth is NBC's publicity and marketing department doing? Certainly not their jobs!

I'm wondering whether a few enquiries from the UK might bear fruit.

13 episodes is an ideal number for the UK networks.

I did wonder when/if we would recieve it here in the UK. :shock: Obviously not doing their jobs very well.......

VittoriaZ

Post by VittoriaZ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:52 pm

If the "news" outlets are told, as a ruse, that Jason is being treated for "exhaustion", he might get a bump in the ratings because the tabloids might erroneously hint that he is secretly being treated for substance abuse. :idea:

The thing is, it would be understandable if Jason is actually exhausted at this point.

Oh well. As H.L. Mencken said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

I could participate in a campaign to show support for Awake, if someone who's more knowledgeable about such things than I am advises as to the best way to go about it. :?: Thanks.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:24 pm

The best way is for everyone to watch each episode at 10pm EST. spread the word, and tell family and friends about the show and ask them to tune in at 10 pm. Unfortunately seems like the network is interested in Nielson Ratings. Twitter and Facebook are great Social Networks to help "Spread the Word" about Awake. Sorry for those who cannot see the eps live.....I watched Case Histories (before it aired here in the US, yes legally). The eps are available on iTunes, and HULU...

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:03 pm

It would be great if the Neilsen ratings systems could be fixed to reflect the changing times. I don't know if they've updated it since they started it. Grr... :tchuh: Well, I sent in my plea for what little good it will do & joined the FB. :^/

It would also help if they moved it away from the Mentalist - one of the other few good dramatic shows on tv. Sigh...

edit: I saw this article this evening (see link below). This one is slightly more chipper (if you read the whole thing):

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/awake ... 012-22317/

(apologies if I accidentally reposted it...)

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 am

I was given a chance to participate in the Neilson's Ratings, but since I live in an apartment I couldn't get the system installed! How unfair is that?

I've added my 2 cents to a couple of the sites. NBC sure wants to know a lot before you can submit a comment. I couldn't find Awake in the ComicCon FB page.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:30 am

Hello, one and all,

Haven't been around for a while, but have been lurking ... :bag:

Bummer about the ratings, to put it mildly. Cannot quite fathom it. Are those figures across the whole of the US or just based on a particular time-zone?

How does the broadcasting of shows work? If something is due to go out at 10pm EST, does that mean it goes out earlier in the other time zones? ie Is it broadcast at one time across the States or do they stagger the show and show it four times so that it shows at the same time in each zone?

What are regarded as 'winning' viewing figures? Over here it would be somewhere around and upward of 8/9 million, I suppose, but we have a much smaller population than you, obviously. I think Case Histories got around 5 million on average, which was respectable for the nature of the show.

Hope you are all well. Hoping for better news of Awake. I so hope to see it over here, but ... :-(

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 am

Hi,

Well, the Nielsen ratings are an antiquated way of trying to see who watches what over here (see link below to get a more in-depth definition). Only certain participating households are counted (!!), as the idea is that the selected households represent the viewing pleasure of the entire US, which of course is total...errr...bollocks. Traditionally, the ratings seem to favor white males in a certain age bracket. You would think that with today's interconnectivity that cable companies, Fios, and Direct TV folks would be able to count who's watching what in real time. I guess not. :tchuh: So if no households in the NR system are watching Awake, it means that those of us who DO watch Awake don't count. Seems rather pointless, doesn't it? :dunce I mean...they might as well pick 3 white men between the ages of 18 and 35 and ask them to pick the entire viewing schedule for the US. (Oh wait... I think they do...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

I've had the pleasure (?) of living in three different time zones, but my memory of tv programming in Cali is a bit hazy. I seem to remember (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that EST and Central (the Midwest part which is one hour behind the East Coast) generally see their prime time viewing together, except for certain things. So a show on at 10 pm here is on at 9pm in Wisconsin. I think (?) that PST (California time, which is 3 hours behind us) and the time for TV shows is adjusted accordingly, so we here on the East Coast may know the results of things before they do -such as the primetime viewing for the Olympics if they're in Europe or some of the big championship games on this side of the country. And shows viewed at 8pm on the East Coast will show at 8pm on the West Coast. I'm not sure about Mountain time, which snuggles up against PST. They may do a similar thing as CST does with EST viewing, but they might partner with the PST folks. This may not be gospel for certain shows, like national morning shows that start at ungodly hours normally. And across the board, generally, the last tv show for primetime viewing starts at 10 pm. And who knows about the folks in Alaska, Hawaii, and places like US territories like Guam!

Hmm... this explanation seems to be a little unwieldy, but maybe Char and Kjshd and some of the other ladies might be able to explain the system better as they seem to be more savvy about TV things. :D

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:32 am

I left a message on the NBC site - can't do facebook until tonight - it's blocked here at work.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:58 am

I left my comment yesterday. Let's hope they take what we say seriously.

BTW, Scandal premieres on ABC this Thursday at 10 p.m., from Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice). That'll probably have an impact on Awake's ratings. :roll:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Just read this on Inside TV (Death Watch 2012: Our fall TV survival predictions)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/29/shows ... fall-tv/3/

"Awake: 2.1 rating. Status: Stronger than The Firm and Prime Suspect, but that’s not saying much. Jury’s still out."

justme

Post by justme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:11 pm

'USA Today' today already has 'Awake' on their 'Cancelled or near dead' list. They didn't even put it in their 'on the bubble' list. I remember that their television critic wrote on March 1 that it should be canceled!

belladisordine

Post by belladisordine » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am

justme wrote:I remember that their television critic wrote on March 1 that it should be canceled!
I absolutely loathe critics (and regular TV Viewers) who do that after only seeing the pilot episode (if even that) of a TV Show. Sometimes it takes them an episode to really get going. Whenever I see something coming out that catches my eye, I always give it at least three episodes before I make a determination on whether or not to keep watching.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:46 am

Please go & vote for Awake to return at CinemaSpy:
http://www.cinemaspy.com/spotlight/whic ... ary-13157/

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:07 am

I'm quoting this from Leonard Chang, one of the writers.
Many of you are watching this on your DVR’s, which I completely understand. However, did you know that the ratings that the advertisers look at, and therefore the networks tend to focus on, are the “live” viewings? Since many DVR watchers often skip commercials, advertisers want you to watch the show live so that you see their commercials. This is important for the show because whether or not a network keeps a show going depends on these live viewings. It makes sense, since the show is essentially being funded by advertisers.

So, if you’re a fan of the show, and really want to prove it to NBC, then try to watch it live.
Does it matter if you don't have a Nielson box at home? I do not believe they got the 18 millions viewers count from American Idol from those boxes, or hundreds of millions from The Superbowl, there can't be that MANY boxes out there!!

Awake had a very good Live+7 days rating before but I can't find one for the subsequent episodes, can anyone try?
I think the first one was on SpoilerTV.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:25 am

Please go & vote for Awake to return at CinemaSpy:
Done! Awake needs more votes. Can we vote more than once?

~me

Return to “Awake”