Possible clue as to which is the dream and which is reality

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Possible clue as to which is the dream and which is reality

Post by Helen8 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:23 pm

While watching, I noticed that mentioning this "Kate photo" was a backtrack, but didn't stop to think about it till I saw this. Very interesting. :scratch

So, wife is dead . . . how will Rex grow up without her constancy and influence. Hmmmmm. I always felt that the blue tint in Rex's reality was real life and the yellow tint in the wife's reality was the "dream glow"—Britten's subconscious making the nonreality bright and cheerful to be in.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... stake.html

LadySekhmet

Re: Possible clue as to which is the dream and which is real

Post by LadySekhmet » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:15 am

I noticed it, too, but put it down it simply being a flashback. Those two docs are always messing with him, so I figured it was just more of their little machinations. (They also seem to be upping their competition with each other through him.)

And *they* (the tv gods) seem to be setting up the tennis instructor to be "someone important in some way," which will really put Britten over the bend if he has to fight any type of attraction to a woman who is not his wife. If Rex was a dream, would he really start to incoporate another woman if his wife was still alive? (hmm...maybe if she's the replacement mother-figure to rex-who knows what the mind is capable of in times of stress (she says answering her own question))

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:36 am

Ok, here is my guess:

"Rex lives" is the true realilty.

1. In the Hannah-is-alive reality, Britten, who we have seen has not been around too much for his son before the accident, is learning things that help him help Rex deals with the loss of Hannah.

2. The Hannah is alive dreams are the way Michael himself copes. Despite losing their child, they have a loving relationship; they go out to dinner, they have sex etc. This, despite the fact that it is actually denial of reality, gives Britten the strength to help his son.

I agree with Lady Sekhmet's point here:
LadySekhmet wrote:.... If Rex was a dream, would he really start to incoporate another woman if his wife was still alive?

MTA: I just want to add that I have no preference. :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:47 am

Another point: In Rex's reality, Michael's partner is his long-time partner; in his wife's, it's a new partner, created by his subconscious.

If Rex was a dream, would he really start to incoporate another woman if his wife was still alive?

That also plays into Rex's reality being real in that Michael's getting nookie with dream wife but not so much in reality, so he's attracted to the tennis coach. For a long time, when all we'd seen was the pilot episode, it bothered me that he was showing her some attention. But back then I felt that the wife's reality was the real one.

Of course, according to Gordon and Killen, deciding which reality is real is not the point of this season, but instead what was the cause of the accident, who was behind it, and why. :tchuh:

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Ladies,
I have to admit that I had to laugh today at how everyone else (i.e., non-Lost Girl folks) is busy dissecting the show in every way possible on FB and elsewhere, but we come along and simply break it down to if Michael's getting real nookie or dream nookie. :lol
I'm not quite sure what that says about us...but I think that we're the first for that line of argument. :ninja

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Okay. So you don't like the nookie argument. How 'bout this:

So far, we've only seen his boss, Laura Innes, in Rex's reality. :razzlite

:D

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:13 am

Oh, no, Helen, I LOVE the nookie argument. I think its great that we are the only ones (so far) who have sunk to ...err... come up with it. :mrgreen:

And the idea that we've only met her in the son's world (is it the son's world or is it the wife's world? Which world is Vega in again?) sort of rolled through my head (like a tumbleweed in a ghost town) at some point while watching the show and talking to someone at work the other day, but it never clicked (and then I was distracted by...errr... other arguments).

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:25 pm

In Episode 4 Rex was kidnapped and when he was found he made up with his father. In the next episode about the tennis racket he's back to not being close to his father. He won't tell him why he's so upset with his best friend.

Another idea could be that Michael is in a coma and both of these realities are going through his mind and his wife and son are alive. Does anyone know what goes on when people are in comas?

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 pm

I'd say Rex is going through a grieving process and on some days he will be warm and loving and on other days he will be silent and full of anger. Plus he is a teenager..... so one would expect a certain amount of independence seeking! Due to Dad's occupation he has probably never felt that close to him - much closer to Mom!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree... Even if Rex said what he said when he was kidnapped, and in the situation he was in, he thought it could be the last chance he had to say anything to his father, It doesn't mean it's easy for them to change their realtionship. The emotions are still there even if he has talked about it and said that he wants a change. He may want to try, but we shouldn't expect miracles at first. (That would be bad writing)

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Did anyone else see this?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/02/awake ... sive-clip/

Stirs the pot a little bit regarding theories/realities...

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:32 pm

The "Awake" Poll was interesting.

ln419

Post by ln419 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:28 am

Hi ho everyone, and a happy Thursday to all, if anyone saw the Dr notes on FB this week from "that's not my penguine" (GREAT episode in my head anyway), you will-or could ir ya want note that Dr Lee is oh SO proud of him (and how unlikely is tht?), while Dr Evans (who has had her office broken into and files either rummaged through or taken, I forgot by the Gemini killer), SHE is thinking deep and hard about what she is about to spill to the PD about Michael's condition (ie WHY he helped Gabe the way he did, and wasn't really honest with him. SOOOO, if only 1 shrink is thinking about what they're going to tell the PD, and it's Evans.....dum dum dum....ln

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 am

And Dr. Evans is in "green" world . . . giving more credence to "red" world being the dream. Maybe I really am on to something. :wheee

Return to “Awake”