Short message from Jason Isaacs to Wilmer Valderama

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Short message from Jason Isaacs to Wilmer Valderama

Post by thunder » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:36 am

From a TV show, it's mostly in Spanish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Gn8GSSkEQ

:D

fruitbat

Re: Short message from Jason Isaacs to Wilmer Valderama

Post by fruitbat » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:31 am

I understood nothing, but I'm impressed.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:27 pm

Anybody willing/capable/brave enough to translate?

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:15 pm

I don't speak Spanish, only know a couple of phrases...

amy223

Post by amy223 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:20 pm

I speak Spanish! I speak Spanish! (I speak Spanish really, really badly!) Actually, I speak it awesome...yet remain stupendously BAD at comprehension (I've been told this officially makes me an anomaly; most people comprehend better than speak) (being an anomaly: par for the course with me ;-) ).

So. Loosely (LOOSELY) (and really badly) translated, this is what he's saying (I've bolded the Jason parts and put my 10,000 bad translation apologies in regular type) (and I apologize about that if it's annoying) (I did my best!):

He starts with Hi, Wilmer, my friend. And then he apologizes about traveling? working? all the time
(I think he's saying 'viajando' which is traveling). And apologizes for his beard and his Spanish. And then he tells him he's happy to be able to have an opportunity to be in front of the world doing this and about how proud he is of Wilmer for something--I'm not sure what's being celebrated (what is going on? what is going ON?? I hate being out of the loop!). Some type of award or recognition for something? At any rate, he's really proud of him, and that he knows so many other people are proud as well--Wilmer's family and friends and some other people (I have no idea what word he's using after he says "personas") and something about children (does Wilmer have kids? Did Wilmer do something sweet and magnificent for children? I don't know) (I'm so sorry, I do realize how incredibly unhelpful this "translation" is).

And then he says he knows this is too fast, that one minute isn't sufficient enough to talk about Wilmer's good work. And something else, but he's forgotten (Wilmer and audience laugh at that). Then he tells Wilmer he loves him and wishes him a lot, a lot of luck tonight, and that he's sure about something (couldn't make out what he was sure about). And then he breaks back into English and says he has to go, he'll miss his flight.

(FYI: this is why they no longer let me translate my own parent-teacher conferences) (ha, no. I actually do translate my own--it's just that I only understand about 50% of what is being said to me and I'm sure I sound like Colin Firth's character proposing to the Portuguese girl in LOVE ACTUALLY.)

I will note that I'm super impressed with his Spanish--I had no idea he spoke it so fluently. I like dual/triple/etc language people--I think it's a talent. Plus, I've been pretending to speak it since 9th grade, have a minor in Spanish on my bachelor's degree, and taught a bilingual Kindergarten for a year and a half on the Arizona/Mexico border and he speaks far better than me. At any rate, he'd definitely be the person you'd want with you in an Apocalypse if you were in Mexico/Central or South America/Spain...not me that's for sure.

In conclusion: if I ever run into Jason, I've decided to say "Hola a Jason Isaacs," just to throw him a curve ball and test his response.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks, Amy. :hands

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks, Amy! It really, really helps!

amy223

Post by amy223 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Oh, you're very welcome. I wish I could have done a less crap job. Clearly, I need a refresher course. :D

revenante

Post by revenante » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:47 am

Wow - that is super-impressive (yes, really!) - thanks Amy! :hug

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks, Amy. :D

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 pm

One of my nurses in the office is from Puerto Rico. She understood every word and even said Jason's Spanish accent was excellent. She couldn't believe how good he was :D

So she transcribed it for me:
Hi Wilmer
My friend excuse me, I'm working excuse my beard, It's nice to have this opportunity to tell you in front of the world I'm Proud to be your friend . I know you are a special guy that you do a lot for your family, friends and others. But never forget to have a good time. I know that you are fast that in 1 min you can do your best work, Well that is what I have heard ( all Laughing ). I love you and wish you lots of luck.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:39 am

Very cool Char! Please thank her for us. Wonderful to have a translator - and to know Jason's accent is good!

CaseHistories

Post by CaseHistories » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Oh Jason, so talented! I have taken my share of Spanish classes, but I can't talk like that!

amy223

Post by amy223 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:05 am

Que excelente y mucho mejor! I couldn't figure out what/why the audience was laughing at that one spot--it sounded to me like he was saying Wilmer was forgetful. Ay ay ay--I need a refresher course. (In the Mexican Riviera, preferably.)

Thanks for getting the way more concise and reliable translation. :D

Return to “Awake”