What are the odds (for TSG to be picked up)?

Jason Isaacs landed the lead in this new American series from CBS. The pilot wasn't picked up.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

What are the odds (for TSG to be picked up)?

Post by Chari910 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 pm

A nice summary from Kathryn Morris UK Website:

http://www.kathryn-morris.co.uk/2013/03 ... /#comments

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: What are the odds (for TSG to be picked up)?

Post by thunder » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:38 pm

Here's another take on it.
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... t-cbs.html

I think it's based on what they think of the script. So there's some new info in there...
The potential is there for a strong new program that combines the best of a medical drama and a political show. (...) There was one twist to the first episode that has us very intrigued as to the on-going relationship between Sherman and the vice president. More nuances like that will help and we would imagine they will happen as characters are fleshed out.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 pm

So... I saw this last night and then debated about posting it, but now perhaps I will. I don't know if this has been posted yet. I don't think so...but?

Did you see this from Rod Lurie's Twitterfeed from April 12? I'm not sure how many TV series he's working on. Tried to sniff around on imdb, and it seems that Himself's series is the most current, so perhaps this is SG. Good news for Himself?
Rod Lurie ‏@RodLurie 12 Apr
Please RT. I will soon announce new TV series and mini-series - studios wanna be first out the gate with the news - but I'll be hiring soon.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 pm

All sounds positive - I hope CBS gives it a green light!

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 pm

LadySekhmet wrote:So... I saw this last night and then debated about posting it, but now perhaps I will. I don't know if this has been posted yet. I don't think so...but?

Did you see this from Rod Lurie's Twitterfeed from April 12? I'm not sure how many TV series he's working on. Tried to sniff around on imdb, and it seems that Himself's series is the most current, so perhaps this is SG. Good news for Himself?
I don't think this is TSG... He tweeted he had completed the "director's cut" 3 days before that, and I don't think CBS would have had time to make the final cut, let everyone that's supposed to consider it, see it and arrange focus groups etc. yet. Awake had a different director for the pilot as well. I can be wrong, of course.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:01 am

Mm...Yeah, you're probably right (which was why I hesitated), but (just to play devil's avocate) that zap-it blog person seems to have seen a version of the pilot from his review, which means that some folks are seeing it for some reason.

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:29 am

The Zap2it review is based on the script...
... we're also going to take a closer look at pilot scripts from each of the networks. While a lot can change between now and a series premiere, and these are by no means full reviews, we hope to offer some insight at some of the projects the networks are considering this spring.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:16 pm

May Upfronts for CBS is Wed May 15th! We should know something then.

The odds are not good: Not sure out of the 3 canceled series which one is comedy/drama.

CBS Renewed (20): 2 Broke Girls, 48 Hours, 60 Minutes, The Amazing Race, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Elementary, The Good Wife, Hawaii Five-0, How I Met Your Mother, The Mentalist, Mike & Molly, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Person of Interest, Survivor, Two and a Half Men, Undercover Boss

CBS Canceled/Ending (3): The Job, Made in Jersey, Partners

CBS Fate to Be Determined (4): CSI: New York, Golden Boy, Rules of Engagement, Vegas

CBS Pilots Ordered (23): The Advocates, Anatomy of Violence, Bad Teacher, Backstrom, Beverly Hills Cop, Crazy Ones, Ex-Men, Friends with Better Lives, Gaffigan (a.k.a. Untitled Jim Gaffigan Comedy), Hostages, Intelligence, Jacked Up, Mom, Mother’s Day (a.k.a. Untitled Rottenberg & Zuritsky Comedy), The McCarthys, NCIS: Red, The Ordained, Reckless, Second Sight, Super Clyde, The Surgeon General, The Unauthorized Greg Garcia Pilot, Untitled Tad Quill Comedy

CBS Series Orders: TBA

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Fri May 10, 2013 5:04 pm

I don't know how this all works, but Robin Williams just tweeted that The Crazy Ones is going to series. Was this competition for TSG? In which case does that mean the odds are looking more dodgy? :-( And how come they know already?

It's all so bloody complicated and frustrating. :tchuh:

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Fri May 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Well...

It ain't looking so hot at the moment. :^< According to this, they picked up two dramas already, and neither are SG.

http://www.tvovermind.com/cbs/cbs-picks ... men-213336

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Looks like CBS replaced the 3 canceled and the 4 to-be-determined series. And Surgeon General isn't among them. :bawl

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sat May 11, 2013 10:01 pm

If it's not picked up in the fall, perhaps it could be considered later as a possible mid-season replacement?

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sun May 12, 2013 4:50 am

Whoa ... so ... it that it then? No more chance? :-(

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun May 12, 2013 5:03 am

We don't know until it's official.

But with Awake, there were a lot of buzz even before it got picked up. It's been almost nothing about this, even less than Pleading Guilty, I think. And that wasn't picked up either. I'm not too optimistic. :-|

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun May 12, 2013 8:07 am

Isn't May 15 the official announcement date? If so, that's the day that we will know for sure if it's been picked up. But CBS didn't have a very large number of empty spots to fill in the first place as they seem to have a pretty strong rotation of dramas, comedies and things. (Meanwhile NBC seems to be struggling to find good shows, which is why they are picking up so many new shows.) So, LL, technically we have a few more days of fretting...but yeah, I agree with thunder. It's looking grim...

Return to “The Surgeon General”