Avatar: The Last Airbender - online episodes

This forum is for audio books, voice overs, radio plays and voice acting.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:18 pm

Am a bit confused as to why Fullmetal Alchemist involving resurrecting the dead is a bad thing just because Mary Shelly thought of it back in 1818.
I never said it was a bad thing, just that it wasn't anything new.
And it's not like Anime has a monopoly on the themes Moira was talking about, so to suggest otherwise, to me, is what seems limited.

Now I know that some anime is better than others, but the fact remains that it's very much become a victim of it's own success. The artform really hasn't moved forward substantially, and that formula has become the basis for what I call "mass-produced mediocrity" -- where quality has given way to quantity -- all in the name of a buck. Shame really. There was so much potential.
To me, it's like me watching the movie "Scooby Doo," and judging that all American films must be ridiculous drivel.
I'm not much for what our mainstream animation studios produce either, so on that we can agree. I prefer the up-and-comers, the independents, and studios that aren't afraid to take risks. Unfortunately, the business is a numbers game, so for now mainstream is where it's at. And like the goose that laid the golden egg, I doubt Japan OR America is in a race to pluck that bird.

BTW, I've never seen Scooby Doo, so I'll take your word for it.
I'm sure the kids love it though.

OTink

Admiral

Post by OTink » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:44 pm

I thought episode 16 was very good. Kids love this cartoon. It's also a video game.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:05 am

Coming late to this one. My kids went through the "Avatar" thing briefly last year, but have come back to it and addiction has set in. So it's part of their daily entertainment to call me over when he's in it, "Ima, Ima, come quick! It's Zhao in this one!" because they know I want to hear that voice.

(Yes, my kids indulge my midlife crisis issues. Oh The Therapy Bills I Will Owe Them. LOL)

So ... I honestly would never have known it was him. I suppose that when listening for him to "do American," my ears just naturally expect to hear that Michael Caffee New-England-variant-Brooklynese that I'm used to (and also from that recent BBC radio 'noir' piece a few weeks back ... which was solid NewYawkese). It was difficult to recognize him doing virtually accent-free American English. (Well, it's virtually accent-free to this former-Manhattanite's ears, anyway.)

Mrs Hook

Post by Mrs Hook » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:08 pm

I never even realised he was in this! :shock: Must watch again!

Hot Wheels

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender - online episodes

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:41 pm

For those who have CBS All-Access, this series was added to the streaming service’s line-up in June, 2020.

Just saying.... 😇

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Here's an article about Jason's role as Admiral Zhao.

https://dankanator.com/76810/this-harry ... airbender/

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:08 pm

Helen8 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25 pm
Here's an article about Jason's role as Admiral Zhao.

https://dankanator.com/76810/this-harry ... airbender/
Very interesting article! Thanks!

Return to “Voice Work”