Reviews

A movie about an American tank crew during the last days of World War 2.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Reviews

Post by thunder » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:39 am

I just realized it's been reviewed a lot of places. I'm too lazy to post all the links, so I'm posting the link to Rotten Tomatoes instead: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fury_2015/
56 % so far. Variety didn't like it, but they never like anything. Otherwise, it looks like they think it's mostly OK.

It won't premiere here before October 24, but I will go and see it even if he's not in it that much. It's not that often I get to watch Jason Isaacs in a cinema... And I've managed to talk some people into come and watch it with me. :mrgreen:

thunder

Re: Reviews

Post by thunder » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:23 am

Here's a review that mentions Jason Isaacs, so I'll post it:
The ensemble cast is uniformly excellent, from Jason Isaacs in a small role as a war-weary US army captain...
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fury/32 ... z3GImrVAwq
:D
Rotten Tomatoes is now up on 79 %, I guess "the glass is half empty - people" saw it first :scratch

It won't premiere in Norway until next weekend, so I'll see it after that.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Jason tweeted this review:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/16/fu ... -wwii-epic

with the comment:
FURY reviews coming in fast and, er, furious. This guy is clearly a genius…

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:16 am

That is too bad about the music comment. It is so important to a movie!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Saw it last night with my DH. Toughest movie I had to sit through . . . ever. Practically broke DH's arm with every gun burst and explosion. They left out none of the gore of war. This'll be the first Jason movie that I won't see a second or third time.

Jason's scenes (all three of them) were a respite for me. Hearing his voice and seeing him were the breaks I needed to continue watching. Note: In his last scene, his back is to the camera, and had I not recognized his voice, I would have missed the scene. Pay attention after they take the village.

I must say that Brad Pitt was pretty darned good as the tank commander. The other fellows in the tank were all very good, except for the troublemaker, who I kept sucking my tongue at audibly whenever he verbally attacked the "new guy." I gave a quiet cheer when he died.

This movie is not for the faint of heart. I had to look away from the screen at several points to avoid seeing unattached or detaching human parts. Surprisingly, during the 1960s, I watched 5 years of the show Combat!. Granted, it was sanitized for TV, but I don't remember bouncing around in my chair at the tommy-gun bursts and the grenades and 88s (big guns).

That said, I still recommend seeing it. Once.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Helen - Combat didn't have Dolby Surround Sound!!!!! :D

Sounds like a movie I will wait to see when it comes out on DVD.

Antoni Bandzior

Post by Antoni Bandzior » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi. I just came back from Polish premiere of "Fury". I have to say, that JI words on his Twitter were completely justified. You blink and you'll miss him. There are two scenes in which he appears for longer that few seconds, and another which is extremely short. If not for my sensitivity to his voice, I would probably did not recognize him in this one. :-(

I don't want to spoil you this movie, so I'll just say that the film is strong. It isn't easy piece of history, but I can't imagine war could be. It's definitely not for sensitive poeple. The whole story is filled with blood and death. Despite this, movie is still worth seeing, but In my opinnion, it would be easier to watch, if there was more of Cpt. Waggoner...

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Sounds like a movie I will wait to see when it comes out on DVD.

I think I just killed the box office take with my review. nuke.gif Let's hope Brad's and Shia's fan bases keep it afloat.

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:08 am

I'll see it in the cinema. It's not that often I get to see JI on the big screen, so I'll take the chance. Thanks for telling what to look for to see him, and for the warning. I'll just close my eyes if it gets too bad, but I'm quite used to watching that type of movies...

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:16 am

I saw it last night, and I think it was quite good. Wish JI had more scenes, but he made an impression the time he was there (he can't have had more than 5 minutes screen time?). The violence and brutality wasn't as bad as I feared. If you can take the opening of Saving Private Ryan, you can take this as well. The sound effects scared me the most. Loud explosions with no warning, and my local cinema has a very good sound system... I almost thought the theatre was gonna cave in on us (even if it's carved out of a mountain)..

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Haven't seen Saving Private Ryan . . . for obvious reasons (see my review of Fury above).

Return to “Fury”