Pilot

Jason plays Peter, an FBI agent who investigates the murder of an archaeologist in Jerusalem. While doing this, he uncovers a 2000 year old conspiracy. The event series was filmed on location in Jerusalem, before the production had to move to Croatia and New Mexico.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

LadySekhmet

Pilot

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Lol. She's a UPenn grad student in archaeology? lol. Priceless. (says the UPenn Phd alumna in archaeology) I don't know if this will make me more lenient or less lenient while watching it.
Edit:
Well, that was great fun! I won't say mich because spoilers, but I'm very happy to see Jason back on tv. Geesh, I've missed him on tv. Truly, I do wish there was more archaeology-maybe there will be more next week. I did have a laugh at her encouraging him to sneak onto the archy site, as well as the moment of dalliance (always a romance on excavations). But archaeology, mystery, murder, and spies go well together-after all Lawrence of Arabia was an archaeologist, and Agatha Christie was married to an archaeologist (& went on digs with him). Murder in Mesopotamia was written as a result of her time on excavation. So, i do hope they do more. But that's just me, and I'm sure you all are tired of me banging on about it. They definitely got the feel of the Mid-East with their locations.

oh, and a Big Name Archaeologist who excavates in Israel was also watching the show (he's also a Penn alumn) and commenting on twitter. So the show did attract archaeologists! lol.

Great job, Jason! Thank you! :cherub :yip

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Re: Pilot

Post by Chari910 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:06 am

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks, I think I found a way to watch it now. Will be back ;-)

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm back, and have seen it. :wheee

Thanks for expert archaeology comment, LadyS. :D

I don't care if you are interested or not, here comes the Norwegian on the Norwegian spoken:
It was perfect. Either a Norwegian person reading the line, or a very good language coach. Strange choice of word when the man adressed the boy. "Guttebass", is sort of a cuddly name for a little boy/man (my dad calls his dog that sometimes), made me wonder how they paid for that calf... "Gutt" (boy) or the boy's name, would have been more neutral. It's not a big deal though, and it made me smile.

Spoilers! just in case...

It's not hard to follow, as a lot of critics has said. It's also very obvious that the stories are connected too. The man with the calf in the beginning and the American psycho cult leader was even talking on the phone! (Some critics complained that they didn't understand how the stories was connected to each other :dunce )

I thought the characters were interesting, and a very good cast. Hope i find a way to watch next time too.

Here's "inside the episode" from Dig on USA on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQFshBEwJzU

I may write more later, think I need to digest a bit more (or watch it again :mrgreen: )

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:18 pm

During the live tweet, Jason said the nude backside shot was not him but a 'Russian stunt buttocks'.
He said the pool was shallow and very rocky they didn't want to risk injuries (of their star).

Excuse my ignorance but UPenn must have a well known Archaeology Department, LadyS?

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:43 pm

For anyone who (somehow) missed all of the first 4 showings of the DIG pilot (3 times last night & once this morning), people have downloaded it to YouTube...over 20 times!!! :!: :woot

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks for reminding me, Hot Wheels. :D

I forgot about @jasonfolly tweeting:
For anyone that balks at cable fees, was out pillaging or can't live without a second look: The Dig Premiere. Online. http://usanet.tv/1BaToSW#DigDeeper
It's region blocked though...

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:17 pm

One thing that disturbed me and lots of others on the IMDb message boards was Peter hooking up with someone who looked like his dead daughter, seems incestuous.
The following is Jason's explanation:
There was no best argument. Grief and lust and confusion reign. He doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

That's why I like it!
Reminded me how I actually rooted for Walter While in Breaking Bad even though he was VERY bad!
Peter is not your usual, stereotypical hero. He's damaged and lost. Pretty sure he will redeem himself later though. :roll:

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Hot Wheels wrote:For anyone who (somehow) missed all of the first 4 showings of the DIG pilot (3 times last night & once this morning), people have downloaded it to YouTube...over 20 times!!! :!: :woot
Well, that sounds encouraging. The more ways to see it, the better. (I mean, everyone should subscribe to USA channel. ;-) )

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:02 pm

http://deadline.com/2015/03/dig-ratings ... 201387808/

Ratings of 0.6 for adult 18-49, total of 1.83 million viewers.

It was up against American Crime Drama on ABC and Vikings (my fav too).

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:52 pm

LadySekhmet wrote:.....I did have a laugh at her encouraging him to sneak onto the archy site, as well as the moment of dalliance (always a romance on excavations).
I am chicken. Even the possibility of a dalliance with Jason would not get me down those tunnels at night. Or even during the day.

Regarding the episode, I liked it. It was really well-made show. Not difficult to follow at all. You do need to pay attention; it's not an episode of The Simpsons. I wonder if we will notice the move to New Mexico?

Spoiler!

I'm afraid I will be freaked out by whatever happens to the other Joshua. And I wonder how many of them there are.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:00 am

Hi,

If anyone needs an extra fix tonight, it's also playing on the Esquiretv channel, too. They are the complete opposite of Awake as far as promotion!

Thank you, Thunder, for the Norweigan viewpoint! lol Yeah, that whole red calf thing seemed a bit...questionable... I want to know who that gun is really for that the calf keeper was given.

Somehow I missed (at that moment) that the archy girl looked like his daughter, but I've been a little remiss in following all of the extras, since late fall and winter have kept me pretty busy, so maybe I'm behind on some background because I wasn't reading wattpad? :oops:

I enjoyed it. I agree; I didn't think it was hard to follow. They definitely used the first episode to build the background. And the cult leader totally creeped me out - way more than J skinny dipping with a younger woman!

I have this bad feeling that there is a herd of mini-Joshes in that cult building.

I liked the show. I liked it because, unlike other conspiracy theory types of shows, it didn't squick me out (well, so far!). Dan Brown makes me so annoyed I want to shake him. I did not want to shake Jason. lol.

Thanks for encouraging me to comment on the archaeology. Sometimes I get a little too excited about it, and I suspect I can be annoying (perhaps like a very cute annoying puppy -lol), and I'm always worried that I will annoy you guys.

UPenn has several archaeology programs, plus Penn is Ivy League- so the archaeology tradition is very strong, well-known, and many big name archaeologists have graduated from Penn (documentaries on ancient Egypt are often filled with either Penn alumni or Penn professors). There is the archaeology program in the Anthropology department. There is the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World. There are also the folks who do archaeology in the Near Eastern Languages and Cultures department. AAMW and NELC birth a lot of the archaeologists who work in Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, Syria, and other Middle Eastern countries. Those of us who graduate from AAMW and NELC are also required to do ancient languages in addition to the archaeology, which is why I have ancient Greek and ancient Egyptian. The Anthro folks can also do all of those, but many of them tend towards the New World (Maya archaeology is very strong), Southeast Asia, and elsewhere. And there is also lots of crossover as far as taking classes between all of those departments- if one is inclined. I had friends in all of them, so while there might be some competition between us, there was never any of the horror stories of students doing horrible things to other students that we hear about in other grad programs. We also have the Penn Museum, which has excavated some important sites in the Middle East, and all of the archaeology grad students spend a lot of time there.

It was a little odd to hear a graduate student dig participant called an "intern,' and, I'm not entirely familiar with the typical sizes of Israeli digs, but all of the digs that I have been on or have seen in action, the dig director knows everyone's names -even the undergraduates. But, perhaps Israeli excavations are so big that the dig directors don't know their participants' names - I just don't know. However, I have seen some experts in the field behave like Richard Grant. I think that I might have experienced a little twinge of inner horror at his tone. There wasn't really any archaeology (to be honest - none), so I guess we'll see if there is more next week?

I am curious to find out who their archaeological consultant was. I am assuming it must have been someone attached to the Israeli Archaeological service, but perhaps not.

I hope Jason feels really good about the premiere of his show.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:59 am

Thanks for the inside info for the archaeology world, LadyS. I wonder if Emma made a boo-boo by making a graffiti of her initial inside the tunnel. Shouldn't that be a no-no?
Pretty sure the professor is hiding something. He definitely knew Emma. He signed the book for her and put 'My favorite student'.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:50 am

After what I understand, the ratings wren't that bad compared to USA's other shows? Some tweets I read had me worried, but when reading this, it doesn't look too bad (even if maybe they hoped for higher?) It's a strong competition.

Thanks for the archaeology input, LadySekhmet. I wondered about Emma's scribbles on the wall as well. And are important artifacts just left on tables during the night so people can go in and help themselves? Looked like low security on such an important excavation.

And I am glad this PR department so far seems to know what they are doing, and doing their job. It wasn't easy trying to be helpful fan during Awake when they didn't give us any to share or talk about. Gonna stop myself now before I go into a 3 paragraph rant about the promotion of Awake...

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:04 am

Their mistake was to cancel Jason's visit to Orlando. That would have tied in his link to the HP world and get more eyeballs.

Return to “Dig”