Thoughts on Episode 10? (Wow! There better be a season 3)

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

RaveGyrl

Thoughts on Episode 10? (Wow! There better be a season 3)

Post by RaveGyrl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:05 am

That look on his eyes when Tommy told him almost made me cry. I had no idea Tommy was going to be the one to tell Michael. It was like someone sucked the life right out of him. I was speechless when it went off.

Loved the way Eileen handled that woman. I don't even remember her name, that's how much I hate her character. Thank god this is the end of her and that storyline.

I felt so sorry for Mary Rose, as kids you have this vision of who you parents are and their marriage and then you find out that your vision is not the case has got to be heartbreaking.

Nice to see Declan clean again. (in the hygiene sense), haven't seen him smile like that in a long time, good to see someone's marriage might work.

Nice to see Colin and Rose bonding. Maybe they can finally work on a relationship for Colin's sake, he has spent his whole life being a dirty hidden secret, he found what he was searching for and is finally making his peace.

Side note-In the beginning Michael looked so hot standing against that car.

HEY SHOWTIME-ANOTHER SEASON, YOU CAN'T LEAVE US HANGING!!!!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:37 am

Indeed, Ravegyrl, that scene with Michael waiting outside for Moe,
was fabulous...the look on his face when he was talking to Moe, and then Moe shaking in his shoes, oh how I loved 2C Moe afraid of Michael again..
MC making sure he still had Moe's and Silent John's loyalty, in that if they heard from Freddie, to let Michael know...

My fav scene was the ending...that entire interaction between Michael and Tommy was the best acting from the entire season...

Michael rushig to Tommy's side, to find out Tommy blames him for his political problems, again...Tommy tried to get physical with Michael, and Michael did stand up for himself.
Tommy told Michael he knew Freddie would try and kill him at the wedding, and indeed, the look on Michael's face, he almost fell over..
So much was said on Jason's face, without a word being spoken.
Although sutle, this was a very powerful scene...

Tommy has delivered the ultimate betrayal, and gosh, I hope Showtime will renew, I want 2C how this scene plays out...

we see Tommy and Michael, months later, not talking to each other...

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:54 am

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:35 am

I found myself very confused by a lot of this episode--I'm gonna have to go back and watch it again.
From behind, from a distance, the little ritual of pouring Judd's remains into the river looked very solemn and appropriate, but when Eileen tossed in her lily, you saw how dirty and litter-filled it was. Probably a bigger metaphor there.

I will also be plenty glad to see the end of the Blonde Bint. I thought she brought nothing to the show. I thought Tommy's having an affair was an important turning point, but it was as if the writers couldn't figure out anything else about the relationship. Straight up annoying, beginning to end.

I have NO clue what Tommy's motivation was in revealing that he knew about Freddie's hit on Michael. I *hope*, for Michael's sake, that he was remembering Tommy urging him to get out, but what was Tommy trying to do? Demonstrate to Michael the depth of his loathing for his brother? Was he just lashing out at Mike because of his frustration with the way things were going with the Speaker?

Is Eileen ever going to back to the social services office? Because she's quite right, if she's ever going to gain back any sense of self-worth, she needs to get involved in something.

malfoygrandma

Seaon's Finale?

Post by malfoygrandma » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:25 am

:bat Well, I'll analyze Tommy! He is so self-involved, he never sees anyone else! Remember how he said Michael had no feelings in Ep 9? That is dumb as dirt! He is actually a cold, self-involved non-father-non-husband-non-brother! Very interesting, writing a character like that, and leaving him that way. He only seems to slide down to worse depths. And why must his wife defend herself against his lousy taste in broads? Why must poor daughter put up with his same as above? Listen, my dad played the game, and did not care who knew it! It is a sorry state of affairs, and not only the fault of the women involved! Altogether, I found this a very satisfying ending, showing us the water-glass with Michael's fingerprints on the murdered cops table! Nice! And yes, the trash in the river with the ashes was very, very good! Well, I have already told Showtime that if they do not renew Brotherhood I am gone along with my fifty bucks a month which my retired husband begrudges them!

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 am

MG, Michael does not touch the glass of water that is offered to him, by Ralph..Michael also does not touch the table...
Watch closely, he keeps his hands in his pockets until he does the dirty deed on Ralph, then he picks up the money, and leaves...
Michael was very careful not to touch anything...smart man..

Hils, Tommy was trying to hurt Michael, and he was also drunk. He has almost a six pack of empty beer bottles on the table...
Tommy always blames Michael...
I was glad 2C Michael stand up for himself, and not let Tommy push him
around...

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:56 pm

malfoygrandma,

I've said it before, I am so sick of Tommy's holier than thou attitude. He acts like he is void of any blame or responsibility as long as Michael is around. and again Michael was right, him and Tommy are the same , but Tommy is more of a threat because he hides behind a suit and a fancy job title.

kjshd05,
It was so nice to see Moe scared of Michael again, Moe probably got a flashback from the first episode when Michael cut off his ear.

malfoygrandma

"doesn't touch the glass, etc."

Post by malfoygrandma » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks for your closer look! I always watch at least four times! So might have seen it correctly or not! But that's the way the eyes go..... Now you have me trying to figure out WHY they did that extreme closeup of the glass! Is somebody else going to touch it, and leave a wrong traitl? Who? Thanks again, K.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:40 pm

I think Decco isn't long for this world. He had his epiphany, he has his wife back(ish), and he's back to being a flat-foot. It won't be long before Michael finds out who bashed in his skull. Sad to see him go, tho', if I'm right.

. . . what was Tommy trying to do? Demonstrate to Michael the depth of his loathing for his brother? Was he just lashing out at Mike because of his frustration with the way things were going with the Speaker?

All of the above, Miss Hils, and then some. Wow! Didn't think I could hate Tommy any more than I already do. He proved me wrong.

Nice touch from Colin, taking the candy dish for Rose. Good move, Boyo!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:34 pm

Now that Michael knows it was Freddie that put the hit on him he'll figure it was Moe who beat him up. Whether Moe has a chance to tell Michael it was Decco before he gets whacked is open to question. Decco may get away with it. Would Michael really hurt his old friend Decco?

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:22 pm

Well, Decco sure as hell hurt his old friend Mike!!!

(oh, and welcome, Grannybear!)

Would Mike believe word one that came out of Moe's face?? Not sure I would.
BonnieKate and I were talking this over, and we agreed that this season wasn't especially cohesive--there were a lot of concepts raised, played with, then seemingly forgotten about. Michael's head wound one case in point. Remember how nearly every episode used to include some focal moment about his injury?? And then he apparently went back to the doctor to see about medication, and presto change-o, that was the end of that. No more seizures or anything.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:24 am

from a different perspective, I was tiring of seeing Michael having problems, due to the head trauma. I realize it had 2B part of the plot,
but glad once he took meds, it got better with each episode.

I realize, in real life, as Mr Jason stated from his research, people who suffer head trauma do not get better, in a sense, they need to adjust their lives to deal with the way they are afterwards...

Michael is now back with a vengeance...good 2C his character back to his bad, old, manipulative ways...happy he is standing up to Tommy, and keeps putting him in his place. We've never seen Michael do that before.

Exactly, would Michael believe Moe if he told him about Declan? I had never thought about that...

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:38 pm

Hey kjshd05,

I was so glad to see Michael stand up to Tommy too. Last season he took the abuse Tommy dealt him, but he's tired of being Tommy's whipping boy and the blame for all that is wrong in Tommy's world.

I love the way he told Tommy to take his hands off him at the kitchen table. That was the voice of a man who was fed up with his little brother's crap, and reminding Tommy I'm older than you and don't forget it.

We know that they had a crappy father and Michael of course took on that role, and whether Tommy likes it or not Michael played a big role in his life.

side note-love seeing Michael have his confidence back.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:59 pm

I'm looking forward (hopefully) to next season. Now that Michael has his confidence back I want to see him take on Nazzolli. I want to see Michael and Kath make a go of it. Mostly I want to see Tommy get what's coming to him. To be fair it must be hard to have a Mom that is so partial to your brother. Especially after you were there for her the whole time.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:07 pm

It's true that Rose is straight-up to blame for most of the miserable dynamics at work in this whole clan, from Tommy's seething resentment of Michael's status as golden boy to Mary Kate seeking out a useless whimp of a husband, rather than an equal help-mate.

Return to “Brotherhood”