Michael's claddagh ring

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:15 am

Me too, Angel. Some people in Corpus look like walking tapestries.
Walking tapestries...or walking comic books. :lol

Yeah, If it's done in moderation, it's cool. I myself have ...hmmm....5 small tatts...and I'm not going to get more. :shock:

~me

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:24 am

angelofmusic wrote:
Me too, Angel. Some people in Corpus look like walking tapestries.
Walking tapestries...or walking comic books. :lol
Yeah, If it's done in moderation, it's cool. I myself have ...hmmm....5 small tatts...and I'm not going to get more. :shock:

~me
I guess it depends on if it's graphic novel or not. :lol
I don't blame you. If I were to get one, it'd cover this uber-ugly birthmark I have on the inside of my left ankle. Always wearing socks to cover it up, but it's sandal weather,so I can't cover it up, save for a band aid. And, I don't always have those on hand either. (can't seem to get the emoticons to viewed in full. Dagburnit! :bat ) ~marilaine :oops:

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:43 pm

I don't blame you. If I were to get one, it'd cover this uber-ugly birthmark I have on the inside of my left ankle. Always wearing socks to cover it up, but it's sandal weather,so I can't cover it up, save for a band aid.
I have a small tattoo of a cat on my right ankle.
(meeeoooooowww)

When I'm not at work, I don't cover my tattoos because they're small and discrete.

~me

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:47 am

This was submitted in our Parish bulletin at St. Patrick's Church:
THE LEGEND OF THE CLADDAGH

There are many stories about the Claddagh ring. Claddagh itself refers to a small fishing village just near Galway city. The Claddagh ring supposedly originated in this area. The ring has a design of a heart being encircled by a pair of delicate hands with a crown above the heart. The original Claddagh ring is generally attributed to one, Richard Joyce of Galway. Joyce departed from Claddagh, a small fishing village where the waters of the River Corrib meet Galway Bay, on a ship enroute to the plantations of the West Indies. That week he was to be married, but his ship was captured by Mediterranean Algerian pirates and the crew were sold as slaves. Richard Joyce was sold to a Moorish goldsmith who trained him in his craft. He soon became a master in his trade and hand crafted a ring for the woman at home he could not forget. In 1689 he was released after William III came to the throne of England and concluded an agreement whereby all his subjects who were held in captivity by the Moors were to be allowed to return to their homes. The Moorish goldsmith offered Richard his only daughter in marriage and half his wealth if he would remain in Algeirs. He declined and returned to Claddagh to find that the woman of his heart had never married. He gave her the ring and they were married and he set up a goldsmith shop in the town of Claddagh. (Claddagh is said to be the oldest fishing village in Ireland).
The earliest Claddagh rings to be traced bear his mark and the initial letters of his name, RJ (Richard Joyce).
By tradition the ring is taken to signify the wish that love and friendship should reign supreme. The hands signify friendship, the crown loyalty, and the heart, love.

~ML :hug

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:25 am

It was an interesting read, but where is Galway city located? Does anyone know?
By tradition the ring is taken to signify the wish that love and friendship should reign supreme. The hands signify friendship, the crown loyalty, and the heart, love.
Beautiful meaning behind it :))

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:13 am

:obvious answer

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:47 pm

...but it doesn't hurt to ask

~me :oops:

Return to “Brotherhood”