304 Pictures and Discussion

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

304 Pictures and Discussion

Post by Chari910 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:41 pm

It's hard and painful to see how Michael is slipping! Jason nailed the emotions perfectly. The frustration, paranoia, anger and desperation.
Kudos!

I know it won't happen but I like the old Michael much better. He's gone forever..

Some eye candy

LOL to how he didn't even 'appreciate' Molly's effort to dress up sexily for him.

Hilary is right, the shamrock tatt is new.

Not so pleased when the lady talked about his less-than stellar performance in the past..

A kiss in desperation..

Poor Michael, he has no one he could trust.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:46 pm

no worries Char...FABULOUS CAPS...:woot..:woot...:woot

Written by Henry Bromell, this episode lasted approximately 56 minutes,
the longest episode, so far, of the third season...

Michael's character is becoming down right pathetic...
He is a time bomb waiting to go off.....

http://therehearsalstudio.blogspot.com/ ... sland.html

nice article about this episode....

Kath and Colin are playing with grenades..they were in that motel room for so long, I kept waiting 2C Michael come busting thru the door...

Cass and Declan, OK, it's over, let's move on....

Tommy and Eileen, still trying to escape the Hill, as Michael tried
last Season....

Freddie, can't Michael see he is being played for the fool?? Freddie is only after one thing, the demise of Michael, and being re-established as the
Irish Mob Boss...why else would Freddie put the thought into Michael's mind about Kath and Colin, not being together, or could they??

when Kath finally comes home the next morning, the scene with her and Michael is fabulous...especially after she walks away from Michael, so much emotion being held back , and body language, without
not a word being said...KUDOS MR JASON....

No, Michael has always had the Irish flag tattoo on his right shoulder, and the Shamrock on his left...at least the Rose and Dagger look better positioned this time around, sometimes his tatts look shiny...which is
kinda weird...

I totally agree, the Michael from Season One is long gone...DAMMIT...
Last edited by kjshd05 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Thanks for the photos, Miss Char. Gives me something to look forward to.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:31 pm

Great screencaps, thanks Char! :hands

~me

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Oh God, that scene with Kath and Michael was amazing. I could watch it over and over and over again.
It's so amazing how he almost starting crying, almost out of desperation. He cheats on Kath, but yet he does love her a lot. Methinks he was crying because this was the first time Michael actually felt Kath was leaving Michael. Like I said before Michael loves Kath, and the idea of Kath leaving him is unbearable.
What a complex character this Michael is. This is the best episode, Jason-acting-wise, he was absolutely amazing. It's really sad how the Michael we knew in the first season, is not there anymore. Now we have this paranoid Michael. The way Jason handles this new Michael is amazing.
Like the aforementioned Kath/Michael scene. You could feel the desperation in Jason's voice and how he moved (body language amazing!) and how his eyes started watering it was....oh so amazing.

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:09 pm

That was some top notch acting by Kath and Colin in that hotel room. It was great back and forth exchanges between the two.

It's very scary and disheartening to see Michael feel himself losing control. This is the man who is used to controlling everything and everyone around him and that power is slipping away.

I agree that scene with Kath and Michael was explosive. The way they showed the close up of his arms and her trying to pull away was great. It was showing how both are going through a struggle but neither party is saying anything.

Again I will tell Kath to leave Colin alone, do you want your kids to be without a mother. No man whether it is Colin or Michael is worth that. Because you know Michael will kill you, especially in the frame of mind Michael is in any thing can trigger something. That's one thing about Kath that irritated me. A man is always the center of her universe. She needs some "me" time and focus on providing a positive environment for her kids.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Of course, Michael's paranoia is the result of a combination of things, but I think Tommy's admission last season that he was willing to allow Michael to be killed and didn't warn him, has pushed him over the edge. Although they were often at odds, Michael believed Tommy loved him. Now, if his own brother would betray him like that, who can he trust? Poor guy! :-( And he's pushing away the one person he can trust (Kath). Really excellent episode!

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:23 pm

wolfsaver, that's a good point of how Tommy's admission put him over the edge that he was already on.

But Tommy is paying for it, because people on The Hill" are starting to freeze him out...Karma does not play around.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Ravegyrl, you are so right in saying that Kath needs some "me" time. Kath also appears the type of girl that never had female friends. Every girl needs a friend they can sit and talk with and let it all hang out. I've found that your girl friends are always there for you while your male friends are gone with the wind. I think Kath has always had male friends and now has noone to turn to.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:26 am

wow, that is a great point...Freddie states that maybe Kath is out with a girlfriend, and Michael replies that Kath doesn't have any girlfriends...

If she did have friends, they would tell her to get away from Michael ASAP...LOL

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:03 pm

I noted that, too, Kim--a lot of abusive relationships involve the abuser "freezing out" good friends, leaving the victim really isolated and dependent.

I really felt that the writers were losing their direction in this one.
I mean, did the Kath 'n Colin episode not go on about 12 times as long as it should have?? (tho' I couldn't repress an "awwww" at his quiet plea to kiss her tummy.)
And I'm afraid I was just hoping they'd go ahead and hop in the sack--lying to Michael to sneak off and sit around drinking wine in a hotel room with Colin was more than enough to set Michael off. She might as well have a few minutes' enjoyment outta the deal.

Not so sure I'd concur on Michael loving Kath . . . what's our definition here?? I think . . . I think maybe he took up with her again not so much because of how he feels about her now, but maybe more to recapture how he felt those seven+ years ago, to recapture a part of HIM, not her.
He seldom has much good to say about her (he denigrates her cooking), he doesn't defend her to his mother, he doesn't take her anywhere (though he did threaten, like Tommy, to buy 'his woman' a McMansion). He impregnated her and then not only couldn't accept fatherhood, he even let her down when she went to get an abortion. He cheats on her relentlessly (and, worse, condomlessly, as far as we can see) and is psychotically jealous of her.
This is LOVE???

Michael's frenzy: so cliched. Punching himself in the face?? Why, to stay awake? And why was he in his car--doesn't he live with Kath? Why wouldn't he go inside and wait? AND WHY THE FUCK ARE KATH'S MISERABLE INVISIBLE CHILDREN NOT IMMUNIZED AGAINST WHOOPING COUGH??? That shit kills people.
I get that paranoia is an important plot point this season, but maybe we could have some progress, a little development.

Declan and Cass: pointless. Do they have a relationship or don't they?? And if they don't, it's up to the writers to convey that; so far they haven't shown us anything different from any other couple in the show--they're employing the same lousy shorthand that usually indicates the strongest, most loving relationship. Though Cass' breakdown into drunken shrieking hysteria at the end knocked me out. Entirely believable acting.

Tommy and Eileen: um, this is the same couple who keep blowing out their window air-conditioning unit because they can't afford to update their wiring. But now all of a sudden Tommy's buying a lake- or seaside house, first of all, and declaring his intention to tear it down (!! it is adorable!!) and build a McMansion in its place, and Eileen's response is, "okay hon, don't let me down"????
Have the actors who played their two youngest been replaced or something? I don't think we've heard, literally, a word out of 'em since the season started.
And what's the deal with Rose's Medical Condition????

marilaine

Re: 304 Pictures and Discussion

Post by marilaine » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Chari910 wrote:
It's hard and painful to see how Michael is slipping!
Jason nailed the emotions perfectly. The frustration, paranoia, anger and desperation.
Kudos!

I know it won't happen but I like the old Michael much better. He's gone forever..

Poor Michael, he has no one he could trust.
Oooh, those screencaps......*swoon*. Chari, thank you, thank you, thank you. :hands :woot:
I agree we've lost the old Michael.....can't help but wonder if the pills he's taking for the seizures aren't causing the paranoia. (Stupid Freddie. What'd you have to go and bring up the fact that Michael can't get a hold of Colin and Kath, for. If I knew insulting Italian words, I'd use 'em on you, ya putz!:razzlite) But, don'tcha just love it when his goatee is showing? :adore
Cassie, and Declan.....D-I-V-O-R-C-E.....is all I can say......I wonder how long she's going to keep the fact that she knows it was Declan who nearly beat Michael to death. The hint was in the dialogue. (Declan ought to move in with Moe.....they're made for each other.)
The humor regarding the lack of game sets was so welcome.....even my sister had to comment on that.
Jimmy: Well, we can't play cards, cuz we don't have a full deck, and we can't play Chinese Checkers cuz we're missing most of our marbles.
(my sister's response)Gail: We?:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
[Yup! I've got her "emotionally involved" in the Caffees. Thank you very much!]
Tommy wants to give up the game, but some people will be pulling him back in. (Can't wait for that rat-bastard Donatello to kick the bucket.)
All my best to Jason for an extraordinary performance. :kiss Love ya, Michael James. ;-)
~M'L(C) :cool:
Last edited by marilaine on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Yes, I believe Michael loves Kath, but, his version of love is different then everyone else. He confuses possessiveness with love As long as he lives with her and supports her, to him this is love.

He probably waited for her outside because his mind is confused and he wants to confront her as soon as she gets out of her car. You can tell he's off his medication by the seizure he had in the car. He looks calm in the scene with the Feds in the promos for next week so maybe he goes back on them.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:22 pm

He had a seizure in the car? I thought he was venting anger and frustration. It didn't look like usual seizure activity. Besides, I thought he took his meds in the car.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:46 am

it's not explained, but Michael took an illegal drug, and it seemed to make him hyper....usually, when Michael has a seizure, he zones out and is very still...he was bouncing around that car, banging on everything, including his own face....

Last year, when Declan was taking drugs, he bought them in the same small brown envelope....

Yes, Michael is a very possessive fellow....

Return to “Brotherhood”