DVD News

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Anniemouse

Re: DVD News

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:16 pm

I watched the episode where Evelyn had a stroke and sadly died after being removed from a ventilator. What struck me afterwards was there some kind of row in the hospital while Michael was in a coma between family members as to whether to switch off Michael's life support and his mother not letting the Dr's talk them into it. You wonder if this would make Michael's rejection and wanting kath even more a problem. I obviously have overthought this but it was an intruiging scene.

Just wondering your thoughts.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:14 am

I don't remember that... which episode and season is it from?

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:15 am

Evelyn dies season 2 ep 6 I think.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:00 pm

So I have now completed season 2 and boy the final scene in the kitchen between Tommy and Michael floored me. I am still processing the season but I glad to have found this series.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:05 am

Another thing I noticed from watching the show. Jason is left handed.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:23 pm

Actually. He writes left-handed. Everything else, right-handed.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:47 am

Thank you for the information Helen. :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:51 pm

When he signs photographs, he takes care not to smudge the signature, as lefties have to drag the hand across where they've just written. He's like that. :adore

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:18 am

Aw Helen that is so thoughtful of him :D and as you say a common problem for people who are left handed.

By the way I only have three episodes to watch and the tension is getting to me, what is going to happen to them all. I certainly have some opinions of the programme (especially season 3) but will wait until I have completed watching it.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:13 pm

The last episode has a scene with Kevin Chapman that has really stuck with me. Sad and horrifying.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:22 pm

Ok I finished the whole thing and am still processing the actions of the characters. Yes Marie the scene with Freddie was shocking and that Tommy was linked made it even more horrifying.

Not sure why Michael as a character ended up as he did. There seems to have been so many 180°turns that actually made little sense.

Michael turning abusive towards Kath seemed false/a mis step. This from a character who cut Moe's ear off for assaulting the girl who became his lover in season 1. Also he tried to save the life of the women who unfortunately walked in on him and the assassin in season 2.
Michael took "Benny's" on top of his meds despite his mantra "Cafee's don't do drugs" and the near shooting of Pete who fell off the wagon.
How was Michael not arrested for the killing of the slimey DA. That crime scene was a bloody mess; surely his footprints (amongst other evidence) would be everywhere. Can't see me eating sausages for a while.
The brain damage excuse for his increasingly eratic/violent behaviour seemed unnecessary. I was also uneasy of the "He's Nuts" throw away line from the gang.
And poor Eddie; that felt so out of left field.

All the female characters seemed to take a back seat in season three. Rose was such a fiesty character, Kath just seemed to be there to take what ever Michael said to her, Mary Kate as the sister seemed to have so little narrative compared to her brothers, and Eileen seemed to be a shadow of the previous seasons.

However all across the show the acting was staggeringly good. I actually felt really sad that I have completed watching it as I have become fascianted by the stories and lives of the characters. Jason was immense although his character seemed to have no light in season 3. Thunder I think you are 100% spot on about painting him into a corner. One great season one good season and a slightly sub par season but boy I am so glad I watched it.

Jason is such an underated actor. I think a lesser actor would not have been able to keep Michael watchable. A great performance.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:59 am

Anniemouse, I think I know the childhood images of JI that you mentioned, and I think he posted them himself on his Instagram or Twitter accounts. Have a scroll through and see if you can find them! (IG: https://www.instagram.com/therealjasonisaacs/; Twitter: @jasonsfolly)

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:18 am

I found the one of him in the velvet jacket and big hair with the gold chain. That look was sort of in for the older lads I knew as a kid (apart from the chain :lol ) Great insight into the young Jason.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:16 pm

I found the images and wondered if the dog in the kitchen pretending to use the computer is Missey the dog. Any idea's? :cherub

Thank you in advance.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:17 pm

In Brotherhood? :scratch I think they got Missy when they lived in USA when he was in Awake. I don't think Missy is as old as Brotherhood.

Return to “Brotherhood”