Reviews

Creation Stories is a biopic about Alan McGhee. The movie tells his life story from childhood in Glasgow to big music mogul. Jason plays a small, but memorable part in this.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Reviews

Post by thunder » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Here's one, and it's not so good.
Beware of spoilers too. It's one of those film reviewers who think they have to retell the whole movie to get their points across.
However, overall, Creation Stories misses the mark by a long shot. It’s a messy, mildly offensive exercise in arrogance that isn’t brave enough to make one honest statement.
https://www.thefilmagazine.com/creation ... eview-gff/

nuke.gif Ouch...
British actors and comedians such as Ed Byrne, Paul Kaye, Perry Benson, Jason Isaacs, Steven Berkoff and Rufus Jones filter in and out of the proceedings in an attempt to add some much-needed spice, but the payoff of their presence isn’t enough to carry the movie.
Well the review mentions Jason a couple of times, and has nothing bad to say about him. But spelled his name wrong:
An obscure night out in Los Angeles with Jason Issacs serves as McGee’s rock bottom
That's what Jason does in the movie, it looks like.

EDIT!
I found another one, and it's much better. It's behind a pay wall, though (but for some reason I was subscribed to them... :scratch)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/cre ... ony-blair/
4/5 stars
Quote about Jason:
Finally, a Rule of Cinema is now etched in stone: there’s no one we’d rather have rock up for five minutes, do a horribly persuasive sketch, and skip off than Isaacs, whose hilariously camp (but also terrifying) performance as Ralph revives a Withnail spirit of clammy aristocratic debauch. There are a million Ralphs in LA, Alan explains. The film plucks this one at random, and you wouldn’t want it any other way.
:mrgreen:

Anniemouse

Re: Reviews

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:28 pm

Thank you for the links. Oh and we now know his character is called Ralph.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:05 am

Just listened to Ewan Bremnar being interviewed on BBC 6 Music about the movie. No mention of Jason but the movie is being released on Sky Cinema on March 20th.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:28 am

Good news that it gets a release. Thanks for the info, Annie. :D

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:22 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/m ... vine-welsh
The Guardian is underwhelmed: "It’s not unfun, exactly, to watch McGee going on an ill-advised coke bender with a sleazy film producer played by Jason Isaacs . . ." I get the impression that maybe, and I hate to even ponder this, but they think Irvine Welsh is simply too old to render this compelling?

https://film.list.co.uk/article/124544- ... n-stories/, 3/5 black spot thingies: "Instead, supporting players are reduced to a series of cameos, which can at least be entertaining, with Jason Isaacs' film producer a highlight"

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:07 pm

with Jason Isaacs' film producer a highlight"

Isn't that always the way?

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 am

Thanks, Hilary. I have seen several reviews of the movie that says jason's couple of minutes is the best part of the movie. :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:36 am

Jason always seems to get great reviews for his work even in so so movies. The more I think about it the more I think the movie is 25 years to late to have traction in the UK. Never got the laddish Cool Britania Britpop (always hated those terms) scene and the best bands never really managed to get their careers going. Then the bands sank in to celebrity and were destroyed by the press, digital came around and our vital music scene has never been the same since so I have mixed feelings about this musical era.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:57 am

Oasis was the soundtrack of my late teens. I shared room with an überfan, during one school year. I wasn't a huge fan myself, but I could tolerate it. :lol

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:04 pm

A review from The New York Times. Jason isn't mentioned, but there's a picture of him:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/24/movi ... eview.html

Return to “Creation Stories”