For What It’s Worth

Good Sam is a new series for CBS, about a young top surgeon who ends up as her dad's supervisor after he comes out of a coma. Jason Isaacs plays the arrogant dad and former top surgeon.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hot Wheels

For What It’s Worth

Post by Hot Wheels » Sun May 22, 2022 5:31 pm

The next air date for GS supposedly was to be Wednesday, 6/1/22 (UPDATE: CBS will now be showing a rerun of S. W. A. T.!) If all 13 eps are then rerun with no (more) interruptions, it looks like the final air date could be as early as 8/31/22.

While I didn’t like 100% of the show—and certainly not all of the things some of you disliked—I really wanted CBS to get behind it, instead of treating the *diverse cast* and *female-driven crew* the way they did, in their gross mis-promotion of the show. I’ll also miss doing the synopses…and—of course—seeing Jason on TV every week…. :bawl

#RIP_GoodSam. :heart
Last edited by Hot Wheels on Thu May 26, 2022 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: For What It’s Worth

Post by thunder » Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 am

I don't think CBS treated them badly. They aired the whole season even if the numbers were bad. Just didn't appeal to enough viewers.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Mon May 23, 2022 8:17 pm

thunder wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 am
I don't think CBS treated them badly. They aired the whole season even if the numbers were bad. Just didn't appeal to enough viewers.

For me, it wasn’t whether or not all 13 eps aired. Instead, my issue with CBS was that—as far as I could determine—other scripted shows used actual clips from the next episode in promos for the corresponding episode, during the week preceding the airing. OTOH, until the Finale, CBS chose to use stock footage (IOW, clips from previous eps) to “promote” upcoming eps. That drove me crazy!

Also—and I’ll agree that many of Griff’s moments wouldn’t be tolerated for two seconds in a real hospital setting—I’m going to miss the ways Jason showed viewers so many sides of himself through some of Griff’s antics (especially Jingle Bells in German)!!! 🛷

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue May 24, 2022 1:16 am

Well, it clearly wasn't a show of high priority for them. Still, a lot of people gave this a chance and then gave up on it.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue May 24, 2022 5:48 am

I am so sad that the crew lost a regular gig and that all that effort came to nothing. Did it also fall between two stones? somewhere between House and Grey's Anatomy. The acting across the board from the clips I watched looked really good. So much of the acting profession seems to come down to luck.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Tue May 24, 2022 6:43 am

thunder wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:16 am
Well, it clearly wasn't a show of high priority for them. Still, a lot of people gave this a chance and then gave up on it.
By the numbers: Pilot was the most-watched episode (2.72 million viewers). Sadly, Family/Business, the ep Jason directed, was the least-watched (1.74 million viewers).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Sam_(TV_series)

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue May 24, 2022 9:16 am

I think the premise of rivalry between father and daughter might work better if they weren't doctors. It was so unrealistic, the whole thing. Maybe a daughter quitting the family firm and starting by herself, and then compete woth daddy's firm for clients/contracts would have worked better?

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Tue May 24, 2022 5:14 pm

thunder wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:16 am
I think the premise of rivalry between father and daughter might work better if they weren't doctors. It was so unrealistic, the whole thing. Maybe a daughter quitting the family firm and starting by herself, and then compete woth daddy's firm for clients/contracts would have worked better?
Yeah…Sam should’ve headed to Cleveland (although another hospital in Detroit would’ve been more fun)!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue May 24, 2022 8:49 pm

LOL - they should have been lawyers in a very large multi partnered Wall Street Law Firm. Then I could understand the behavior.

CBS did some things which did not help the show. The 10PM time slot, the skip starts because of basketball, the mid-season gap (for a really popular show that does not seem to be a problem but if you are trying to attract an audience - well a lot of people just did not come back.)

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Wed May 25, 2022 3:41 pm

Marie wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:49 pm
…CBS did some things which did not help the show. The 10PM time slot.
True!
…the skip starts because of basketball…,
Actually, most of the “March Madness” games were played from Thursday-Sunday….
…the mid-season gap (for a really popular show that does not seem to be a problem but if you are trying to attract an audience - well a lot of people just did not come back.)
Apparently, CBS doesn’t want to air the reruns (at least not in a timely manner): While TV Guide’s website had originally shown GS airing at 10:00 PM EDT on 6/1/22, that time slot is now occupied by a repeat of S. W. A. T.. 😡

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 pm

I don't blame CBS for the time slot, they probably save the good time spot for the better shows. Still baffled this pilot was picked up in the first place.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Thu May 26, 2022 10:01 am

thunder wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 pm
I don't blame CBS for the time slot…,
I do, and I’m disappointed the network didn’t try at least one other time slot (although I’ll admit I’m not sure what other slot might’ve worked better).
Still baffled this pilot was picked up in the first place.
There seemed to have been some questions/issues raised in Pilot that the network thought could be addressed…even if they weren’t completely answered/dealt with by the end of the season.

One glaring error from Ep. 1 was the contradiction of Sam’s statement (in the opening scene, no less!) that her father had done her heart surgery as a child…which we learned was untrue in Keep Talking.

I’m still up in the air about whom Sam should be with….

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu May 26, 2022 1:21 pm

CBS is a company trying to make money. The get paid by how many watch their shows. They are not giving away the good time slots to shows that people don't want to watch. They don't want people to change channels or turn off their TVs, because that lose them money.

Have you read the IMDb reviews? I thought I was harsh... :shock:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11055882/r ... =tt_ql_urv
I think about 15 % gave it a somewhat good review, the rest are mostly slaughter.

Maybe CBS would have moved it to a better time slot, if they thought Good Sam would bring in more viewers than the porgram they already had in the slot. People were leaving the show because they didn't like it. Not everyone are like us, watching even if we don't like it much, because we like an actor in it. CBS have their own competition to think about.

They gave them the whole 13 episodes to try to fix their issues, but it just didn't work out. The show got more than it deserved, CBS had a lot of patience with it.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue May 31, 2022 2:56 pm

thunder wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:06 pm
I don't blame CBS for the time slot, they probably save the good time spot for the better shows. Still baffled this pilot was picked up in the first place.
*ouch*

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue May 31, 2022 4:36 pm

That was pretty nice compared to some of the things I’ve said about the show. :-|

Return to “Good Sam”