WashPost offers 8 "Green" uses for your Hummer

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

WashPost offers 8 "Green" uses for your Hummer

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:53 am

This is perfectly silly, of course, but some of the suggestions from the Washington Post newspaper are rather appealing--they include converting your Hummer from a gas-guzzling conveyance to

"2. A radio. Roll down the windows and turn the key to the car's electronic setting. Blast music during a basketball game or barbecue. When the truck's battery dies, use an actual radio."

They also suggest turning your Hummer into a sauna . . .
read the rest here!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:47 am

Oh. I especially liked Hummerhenge. Then, centuries from now, anthropologists can try to figure out why man was so stupid as to think that owning one would be a good idea.

9. Battering Ram. Used at construction sites for demolition, and way faster than the real thing because of its girth.

10. Underground Bunker. Should there be a nuclear holocaust, you and your family can hold up inside it until the All Clear.

11. Media Room. Convert your basement into a Hummer Multiplex, or leave it outside and bring back the fifties' Drive-In.

12. Tagger's Ladder. In the middle of the night, taggers can drive their Hummers below the roadsigns of choice, stand on the cab, and spray-paint to their artistic hearts' content.

13. Statuary. Forget the regal and stately lions flanking the steps of the New York Public Library. Heave a couple of Hummers up there and show historians what we really worshipped.

Okay. I'll stop. :evil:

I hex Hummers everytime I see one, and there are plenty of them on the roads in SoCal.

Helen

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Geez, Helen, them're brilliant!

Um . . . emergency housing for hurricane victims? It would still be expensive to get them where needed, but they might off-gas less formaldehyde than the trailers now offered . . .

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:35 pm

7. A garage for your SmartCar.

HAHAHAHA!! Perfect!!

I see Hummer's all the time now. I'm also seeing a disproportionate number of Land Rovers. Even the price of gas hasn't deterred buyers.

I guess there are still people out there with more money than brains.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Fri May 01, 2009 2:03 am

Just visiting this thread, almost a year old ...

Wondering how Hummer dealers are doing. Not that I have any sympathy for 'em, but just wondering.

If all the folks in the States who threw all that money into their Hummers had bought a Chrysler instead ... then who knows, maybe all the jobs that are about to be lost with Chrysler might not have been lost.

Maybe.

:-(

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:52 am

All the car companies are suffering, a.p.k. My fear is that, since the price of gasoline is half of what it was last summer, (dumb, stupid) people will think that now is the time to buy the Hummer that seemed so expensive to run last year. :XXX

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri May 01, 2009 1:07 pm

I don't think it stopped people even when gas was twice as expensive. There are more vans and SUV's on the road now than there are cars.
What really kills me is you only ever see one person driving around in them. Talk about wasteful excess.

Return to “Political Material”