THERE'S your legacy. Right there.

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

THERE'S your legacy. Right there.

Post by Helen8 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Touting New Security Deal, Bush Makes Final Iraq Visit

. . . his appearance at a news conference here was interrupted by a man, apparently a journalist, who leaped to his feet and threw one shoe at the president, who ducked and narrowly missed being struck. Chaos ensued. He threw a second shoe, which also narrowly missed Mr. Bush.

That says it all.

Full article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/world ... ml?_r=1&hp[/i]

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:36 pm

I guess that shows what they think of us in Iraq.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:50 pm

grannybear, I like to think that their opinion of the majority of Americans is that we don't share his views, and this year's election showed that.

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:19 pm

He also called the incident a sign of democracy, saying, “That’s what people do in a free society, draw attention to themselves,” as the man’s screaming could be heard outside.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Is it me, or does anyone else find this quote disturbing? The man is being beaten outside the room and Skippy is making jokes and comments on Democracy?? My heart is pounding over here (maybe it's my caffiene intake), but I find this frightening.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Helen, I don't think they really care what our views are. That we're all the same. They just care that we are in their country and they don't want us there.

JScarlet

Post by JScarlet » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Ok I have totally stayed quite from this website 'cause of heated "discussions" long time ago. So this will also be my last for quite awhile.

Why the Hell do y'all keep posting hate mongering comments about President Bush and other conservatives/Republicans?

I noticed you have not even mentioned the Democratic Governor of Illinois trying to sell President-elect Obama's senate seat.
Do you consider that action so small that you don't mention it ? It was somewhere way down the list on Reuters also. This action pollutes our system of government as much as thing on the national front.

This is the kind of thing that boils my blood*** not that dishonesty isn't everywhere in politics but that you shout so loud about the right you forget
(conveniently I might add) about this crap going on in your own party.
Maybe Democrats should clean up their own back yard first.

My opinion is this is why there will never be compromise between the 2 parties. Bad comes from both parties and most politicians. Not only one.
I find this more disturbing than comments from others of other countries.

Just my humble opinion of course***one of those terrible redneck
Rebublicans

Janet

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:47 pm

You're absolutely correct, Janet--if I hadn't been gearing up for tonight's geology final, I would have posted a huge rant about Blagojevich, who makes Tom Caffee look like a model of integrity, not to mention discretion.
"Hey you, I don't care that I'm already under suspicion--I've got nothing to worry about! Go ahead and tap my phone!"
That guy's an embarrassing dickhead, no matter what letter comes after his name.

But ya know what, if I ever find myself withing throwing distance of Shrub, I'm taking my shoes off too.

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:00 am

Janet,
So true, as much as I hate Bush, he's a politician. As happy that I am that Obama won, he's a politician. Whatever my political slant, personally, I feel that electing politicians to office is a necessary evil. That being said, for my part as a Naturalist/Ecologist by trade, I have a personal vendetta against Bush - and all leaders - who don't take enviromental issues seriously. I've watched all the research that we've done for years be ignored, or worse, accused of having been made up! I put my heart and soul into my work because I believe in it, completely, and these Conservatives have the gall to call us liars???

As I type this, I'm looking out into my garden and seeing plants coming up and trying to bloom, because the weather is too warm, here in the North. Of course, why this has to be a political issue at all, is beyond me. Why, if I want to discuss ecological issues, I have to do it in "political" forums, will always be a mystery to me, but there you go. The same could be said of many issues; genocide, birth control, religion, ad nauseum.

:!: Or, a man so obviously being beaten outside of a press conference with 2 world powers in attendance :!:

Anyway, for what it's worth, there's my 2 cents. From my POV. As a Natural Scientist. Which really shouldn't have anything to do with who ever sits in the Oval Orifice - :oops: Ooops, did I say that?? I meant OFFICE, Oval Office! :oops: ;-)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:30 pm

Why the Hell do y'all keep posting hate mongering comments about President Bush and other conservatives/Republicans?

Here's why: Blagojevich trying to "sell" a senate seat versus:

1. No WMD
2. "Mission Accomplished"
3. 4,200 soldiers killed in Iraq
4. Abu Ghraib
5. "Duck" Cheney
6. Alberto Gonzalez
7. Donald Rumsfeld
8. No Child Left a Dime . . . er . . . Behind
9. Clean Air Intiative—increasing "acceptable" arsenic levels to twice what Pres. Clinton had previously lowered them to
10. Signing a nuclear arms agreement pact with the United Arab Emirates (???) whose largest trading partner is . . . wait for it . . . Iran

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:16 pm

. . . his appearance at a news conference here was interrupted by a man, apparently a journalist, who leaped to his feet and threw one shoe at the president, who ducked and narrowly missed being struck. Chaos ensued. He threw a second shoe, which also narrowly missed Mr. Bush.
Saw it on CBC news. They just kept playing it over and over.
IN SLOW MOTION.
It was quite obvious how our media feels.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:34 pm

You're right, Gillian. The media had a heyday with it. On Countdown last night, Keith Olbermann had the shoe-throwing incident looping endlessly onscreen behind him as he discussed the topic.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:42 pm

I think it's funny. I know I shouldn't feel that way because it's serious to have our President attacked but I still think it's funny.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 pm

When I first saw it, I did think it was funny. I laughed, but I don't think it was a like a funny laugh, it was more like a "WTF laugh"
As much as I dislike Bush, I dont think throwing a pair of shoes is a good way of showing your dissapointment.
What did that guy achieve? Broken ribs and jail.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Sea Lion Woman wrote:I dont think throwing a pair of shoes is a good way of showing your dissapointment. What did that guy achieve? Broken ribs and jail.
But at least it wasn't as violent of an attack as it could have been. It could have been a lot worse. And throwing shoes may not be a bad insult to us, but to the man who threw it, it was the height of insult, and a good way to express his anger. Not that I condone it, but maybe he just lost his head and didn't know how else to express himself.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Foodie wrote:
Sea Lion Woman wrote:I dont think throwing a pair of shoes is a good way of showing your dissapointment. What did that guy achieve? Broken ribs and jail.
But at least it wasn't as violent of an attack as it could have been. It could have been a lot worse. And throwing shoes may not be a bad insult to us, but to the man who threw it, it was the height of insult, and a good way to express his anger. Not that I condone it, but maybe he just lost his head and didn't know how else to express himself.
Oh I agree with you, but still...I dont see the point of throwing shoes.
It's not like we don't know that we are all discontent with Bush's administration...
See Bush, what you do to people!

Return to “Political Material”