Republicans to flee D.C. for Inauguration

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Republicans to flee D.C. for Inauguration

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Nursing their wounds very expensively . . . because they can . . . during a recession.

. . . they're heading out to greener pastures, with better temperatures, less hassle and more agreeable company. . . . Others will usher in the new era from the slopes, the islands, the NFL playoffs and even on a serendipitously timed honeymoon. Full Democratic control of Washington may be a bitter pill, but it’s easier to get down from a lodge, beach, 50-yard-line or, especially, honeymoon suite.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200901 ... tico/16987

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:21 pm

Wow, I don't know what to say. Yeah I kind of understand, but then again I don't. *sigh*

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Well, kids, I gotta say, I get this.
At the FINAL and long-awaited conclusion of this 27-year election activity, I was prepared to levitate the 30 miles down to the inauguration.
But since then, all we've been hearing is hysterical forecasts of crazy mob scenes: there have been no hotel rooms (NONE) available in or around D.C. for over a month; people are renting out crappy studio apartments in West Virginia for $1000s for the weekend (okay, I exaggerate slightly); CraigsList is awash with ads from people offering space in the trunks of their cars etc. etc.
This is the best, though--the transit system officials have essentially thrown up their hands and set up a cot in their bunkers somewhere. The subway is reportedly capable of handling something like a maximum of 1 million riders when they've pulled in every carriage they've got; officials are anticipating something in the neighbourhood of, like, FIVE million people to attend the inauguration.
Not everyone gets the day off or anything either--people who are expected to be at work in D.C. were urged by Metro to WALK if they lived within, like, two miles. And you can forget driving--parking is impossible under the best of circumstances, which, um, this doesn't sound like it's gonna be.
It's not as if we're gonna be in any way involved--they do the ceremony in front of the Capitol building, at one narrow end of the long skinny Mall, so most people will, perforce, be decamped as much as a mile away. I imagine there'll be big video screens and such . . . but add all that up and throw in the fact that while it may be 50 degrees that day, it could also be stinkin' freezing and miserable, and I'm definitely losing my enthusiasm . . .
Last edited by Hilary the Touched on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Nursing their wounds very expensively . . . because they can . . . during a recession.
If they're footing the bill themselves ... hey, no prob.
However, if it's the taxpayer picking up the tab, well, that's a different story.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:34 pm

Gillian, I guess we'll find out about that later when the bills start coming in from the lodges, beaches, Ticketron, and honeymoon suite hotels.

Return to “Political Material”