Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:22 am

Helen8 wrote:Not just the number of elected officials, but the supposed holy men who could do this!

The neurotic-must-be-precise Jew poking her head in here ...

To be precise, rabbis are not "holy men." Rabbis are lawyers. Experts in Jewish law. The "holy men" idea of clergy is *not* a Jewish one. Lawyers. No more, no less.

They are, in Jewish tradition, no holier than any other human being. Who are all supposed to be holy (human beings), at any rate.

I'm distressed because, as their dress indicates, these particular rabbis self-identify as "very religious," or "ultraOrthodox" ... which their alleged flouting of the law obviously renders suspect. Breaking the law of the country where you live is equal to breaking Jewish law (according to a very specific Jewish law).

(Full disclosure: I self-identify as "very religious," too. But I try not to break local laws, as well. Sigh.)

'K, neuroses satisfied. LOL Now back to the thread.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:29 am

Marie wrote:I just can't believe the number of people involved...........

From what I've read, it seems like the two groups (politicians on the one hand, rabbis on the other) engaged in two different scandals, but they're connected by the same informant 'giving up the goods' on all of them. But I might've missed something in there ...

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:45 am

From what I've read, it seems like the two groups (politicians on the one hand, rabbis on the other) engaged in two different scandals,
Quite probably correct - I find it hard to believe the same group is trafficing in both human organs and fake handbags. I'm not an expert but I'd say the markets are a bit different for those items!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks for that elucidation, APK--I didn't know that.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:21 pm

Me, too, a.p.k. Sorry, I thought that rabbis were the "equivalent" of priests and pastors.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks, a.p.k.! You learn something new every day!

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:00 am

Helen8 wrote:Me, too, a.p.k. Sorry, I thought that rabbis were the "equivalent" of priests and pastors.

Well, they're treated that way in general society, as the closest thing to "clergy" we Jews have got. But their position in Jewish society is entirely different.

Return to “Political Material”