Displaying Osama bin Laden

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Displaying Osama bin Laden

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Okay.
Obviously everybody on the planet is grateful that we don't have to be concerned with bin Laden any more, and I can't imagine there's a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth at his passing. But I am absolutely down with President Obama's decision not to publicize photos of his body.
First, I concur that doing so presents a security risk: if I were a follower, that would be a hell of an incentive to additional frenzy.
Second, eeeewww!! No matter how you felt about the guy, how can it be a good thing to make a gruesome global spectacle of his mutilated corpse?? Nobody needs to be exposed to that. It smacks of bestiality.
And lastly, the American people need proof?? Really?? And a photo would provide that to the entire nation, who watch enough CSI that they could positively identify the subject, determine absence of life, and date the event?
Uh, I have photographic proof that I am a flesh-eating zombie and also that I've flirted with Col. William Tavington.
*psst--neither is, in the clinical sense, actually true.*
And there's a certain segment of the population who simply cannot be convinced, even if they were there at the raid and ObL personally introduced himself before the proceedings. For some people, it makes no difference what Pres. Obama does, he cannot be right.
But I am in total agreement with this one.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Re: Displaying Osama bin Laden

Post by Marie » Thu May 05, 2011 8:53 pm

I just wish they had not kept changing the story. First he resisted and had a gun and used a woman as a shield. Then he had no gun but resisted. Then he did not hide behind a woman. Then he did not really resist but he did not surender. I'm not going to second guess those Navy Seals. At this point in time I don't mind them saying - we went in and shot the target. Fine - but I wish they had not changed the story so many times (and this is the White House I'm talking about - or whoever was releasing details to the press.) If you wanted groups to not believe the guy was really dead - this is a perfect way to fan those flames. I think they Seal Team did an excellent job - I wish the person(s) handling the press did a better job. I agree they should not release the picture. If you don't believe that he is dead now - a picture will not convince you. I agree with you Hil - releasing that picture would be BAD.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 pm

I hear people say that they shot an unarmed man.

Phooey!

He didn't care when he killed all those unarmed people on 9/11. He got what he deserved.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:43 am

I'm kind of 50/50 on this one....I totally agree with Grannybear, the people he killed on 9/11 were not treated as well as he was
treated in death....but, seriously, I don't want to see a foto of someone with their foreheard blown away...

As much as I want to see a pic of this world Bastard dead, I do think it would do more harm (especially to our military personnel)
than good...

I also think the news should stop trying to get every little piece of info that they can, trying to stretch out this story.
Over, done with, lets move on and help the folks down south who are dealing with the aftermath of the tornadoes...

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri May 06, 2011 7:05 am

I agree with all of you. My sentiments exactly. It's time to put it to rest as a job well done.
But we'll have to be on our guard. His followers will be out for revenge. It may not be today or tomorrow but it will be coming.
I'm afraid we're in for a long ride. His followers will not forget easily.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 am

Here's hoping they'll just disband and go live the quiet life. :pig

~ML :ninja :shh :uhoh

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:06 pm

But we'll have to be on our guard. His followers will be out for revenge. It may not be today or tomorrow but it will be coming.
I'm afraid we're in for a long ride. His followers will not forget easily.

And that's what terrorism is all about. Terrorists want you to be fearful and live your life never knowing what's coming next.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri May 06, 2011 7:14 pm

As much as you go on with your life there's always a little bit in the back of your mind.
For example - I still go up to the top of skyscrapers because I love the view, but in the back of my mind there is still the twin towers.
You can't help it, the thought is still there.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sat May 07, 2011 3:25 am

It's very interesting to hear the differing reactions of people in the States. I live in the UK and on the whole, we have met news of his death with, yes, a certain sense of closure - no one really disputes that this was the best of what was a minefield of scenarios - but largely great trepidation and anxiety.

I think the decision not to issue a picture of his body is largely due to the specific nature of his death. Without mentioning the details which we all know anyway, I think any picture would be exceptionally gruesome and possibly even lead to further dispute about the identity of the body. And, yes, it would further incite aggression and retaliation, although that is inevitable now anyway.

Al Qaeda is a more disparate group now, but not due to Bin Laden's demise; they have been for a while, it is clear they have moved beyond him. But that more diffuse nature does not mean they are not well-organised and equipped, both in intent and means.

This episode thankfully shuts one door on a corridor of the past, but sadly does not close it onto pathways of the future.

Return to “Political Material”