Reviews

The movie is about a housekeeper in the 1950's who falls in love with a Dior dress, and decides she is going to do whatever it takes to own it.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Anniemouse

Re: Reviews

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:46 am

By the way i have seen the gag real and it is brilliant. Jason is in a couple of them. One he falls ups ome stairs, and in another Lesley calls him by the wrong name and he forgets a line in another. However the majority is Lesley giggling in scenes. She is just a sweetheart and a wonderful actress. I found an old series she did called MUM and I loved it and have no issues recommending it to you all.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:39 am

Thanks, Annie :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:19 pm

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/opinion-mrs-h ... 21575.html

Wow!! Sounds like somebody got up of the wrong side of the bed . . . :tchuh:

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:23 pm

I'm not sure the movie tries to be a comment on class issues, though...
Although I haven't seen it yet, I would think that the reviewer is attacking the movie for not being something it does not try to be? :scratch

...am I wrong? :bag:

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:20 pm

I think he missed the point of this movie.

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:13 pm

I have just seen this at last! (I tried to see it last week at a different location, and the cinema had gone bust, with stickers from the administrators on its doors, in spite of the website not mentioning this and having film times advertised as normal.)

Jason's screen time is sadly very short, at the beginning and end of the film - but he is in the last scene. I hadn't realised he does an Irish accent in this, although with a name like Murphy it all fits. He certainly scrubs up well in a suit.

It's very much a fairy tale, full of lucky happenstance that would be unlikely in real life, and beautifully filmed.You can see from the long list of credits with Hungarian names that a lot of it was filmed in Hungary, athough the real Paris features too, especially the illuminated Sacre Coeur and Eiffel Tower. The Dior dresses Lesley Manville wears are beautiful, although I could take or leave some of the others in the fashion show.

It's a real feel-good film and a great piece of escapism, as well as featuring an older woman who ceases to feel invisible. The reviewer above obviously doesn't like this sort of film. If they wanted to watch social realism, they should choose something suitably depressing instead of getting annoyed about Mrs Harris.

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:06 pm

Thanks for the review, Servalan. :hug

I may get to see it this weekend :D

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:13 am

I'm going to see it tonight :D

So far, the Norwegian reviews have been a bit mixed.

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:46 pm

I'm back home after cinema and Italian restaurant with my sister... Nice to make an evening out of it. :D
I liked the movie, I knew from everything that I've read that it wouldn't be a movie that I ususally choose to see. I liked the mood of it, and I liked Jason's character. He doesn't often get to play characters like that, and it's great to see different sides of him.

Rant! (Not the movie's fault!) Right after the movie started, two 11/12year olds by the look of them came in. They used the torch on their phone to climb pver everyone to get to seats in the upper corner of the theatre, even when there were plenty of empty seats they could have just sat down in. Then proceeded to talk loudly amongst them selvees when Lucas Bravo wasn't on the screen, and started to use their phone torch again to look for sweets in the over sized bag they had brought with them. Flashing up the whole theatre. Who the h*** thought it was a good idea to send them into a movie alone like that, and who paid for their tickets?! :razzlite :rave nuke.gif
About halfway through the movie, I almost exploded on them, but the woman in the row before me snapped before me. Then the brats wispered "how rude!" to each other. :roll: Where were their parents... or zoo keepers?!
End of rant! :bang :razzlite

The restaurant food was very good, and we had a very nice bottle of wine as well. So all in all, a very good evening. :D

servalan

Post by servalan » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:30 am

Glad you had a (mostly) good evening, Thunder.

Is Lucas Bravo famous in Norway? I must admit I had never knowingly seen him before, but he is very good looking, and certainly attracted my attention (even though he is far too young for me!)

Don't Norwegian cinemas tell you on the big screen to switch off your phone just before the main feature starts? That would give everyone else in the audience an excellent reason to tell the boys off.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:39 am

I am shocked that you had that happen at the cinema. Hope it was just a one off.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:50 am

If it's a children's movie, I understand that it can be a bit noisy, but this movie isn't for children. When we came into the theatr,e I noticed two 14 - 15 year old girls there, and I heard them talk about Emily in Paris, and Lucas Bravo. They behaved like they should for the whole movie. I didn't know Lucas Bravo had any Norwegian fans, but apparently he does...

The two 11/12 year old girls, came in after the movie had started, so they didn't see the "turn off you phone"- reminders that they send before the movie starts. I don't think that would have made a difference, anyway. When they weren't using their phone, they were constantly talking to each other. They probably thought they were talking low, but it was quite audible. They got up and left about 5 minutes after the women told them off, so the rest of the movie was quiet. Norwegian cinemas tell people to turn off their phones, and my local cinema is built into the mountain as well, so the reception is very bad in there. But sometimes, people look at pictures on their phones etc, and in this case, use the flash light to look for candy... So even if people don't talk or get phone calls, the phones can still be annoying. :razzlite

Usually, people behave quite well in cinemas here, I haven't really been as annoyed as I were on Friday before. It was clear that they were not old enough to appreciate the movie. I think some parents look at the age limit, and doesn't understand that even if it's rated suitable for all ages, it means that there's nothing scary, sex or violence in it. It doesn't mean it's suitable for kids. :D

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:19 pm

I forgot to say, that I really appreciated the atmosphere of the movie, and how much Jason danced in this. :D

servalan

Post by servalan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:54 am

Those co-respondent shoes we saw him wearing in photos released before the film were also mercifully out of shot, as we hardly ever saw his feet.

;-)

Return to “Mrs. Harris Goes To Paris”