Articles and interviews

Jason plays Archibald Alec Leach in this TV series about the man who became the famous Hollywood actor, Cary Grant.. The four episode drama will premiere on ITVX in November 2023.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Articles and interviews

Post by thunder » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:28 am

Milling about with Jason Isaacs, audio interview:
https://www.ivoox.com/milling-about-wit ... 961_1.html

(I don't think we have posted this yet) :scratch

Edit:
Video of the same interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMz5RndyUpU

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:45 am

Fandomwire interview with Jason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sef3vsDuXX4

Fandomwire roundtable (just audio):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwJnyVUd4Ic

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:15 pm

Is there a second part to the audioo round table interview as it sounded like there was more of it.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:03 am

They haven't posted anything more, I think it's just edited?

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:13 am

Thank you for the reply.

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:39 am

Working podcast from Slate, How to portray a Hollywood legend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6MyLXK24Uo

Jason talks about "his process", and how he researched Archie.
I don't think there's a lot of new info in there, but it was interesting none the less. :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:33 pm

I listened to this podcast and it was fascinating. Always fun to hear Jason's natural Liverpudlian accent. He was spot on about Brittish accents denoting social class, economic status, and authenticity. I find it fascinating that we are such a small country but our accents change dramatically within 20 miles of each other.

One thing he missed was that our language and accents have also been influenced by centuries of interaction with other nations who have either settled, traded or invaded. I live in the North East of England and a great example comes from around 1,500 to 1,300 years ago (approx) with the many Viking invasions hitting out area. Many invasions were short due to the purpose being raids for treasure and at times people. However the Vikings started to settle and become part of the community and this I feel had many influences on accents and language in the North East.

A great example is that if you visit the North East you will hear people talking about their 'Bairns'. That is a local colloquialism for the word child/children. Interestingly the Danish word for a child is 'Barn', so the Viking language is still part of our everyday.

Another issue in the North East is that their are more than one accent. If you saw Jason on Inside No 9 he did a perfect Geordie accent. That accent 'lives' along all the urban centres along the River Tyne. However if you live along the River Wear (which I do) you are referred to as a Mackhem. Our accent is slightly softer and more lilting. I think it has more Celt in it. I would prononce the word School as Schoowel and Film as Filem.

I love accents. All of them are beautiful to me. You can hear all our histories. Which invaders of over 1,500 years ago settled where and how they left their mark.

I do struggle with Old English such as the that spoken in Beowolf. That feels utterly alien but even listening to that the lilt is just beautifiul.

I wonder if people who have the gift of speaking other languages find picking up accents easy.

The interview was a great listen.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:01 pm

I've noticed that some Northern English accents and Scottish accents have some Norwegian sounding slang. :D

servalan

Post by servalan » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:48 pm

thunder wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:01 pm
I've noticed that some Northern English accents and Scottish accents have some Norwegian sounding slang. :D
I lived in the Netherlands for 9 years, and some words are very similar in different northern European languages - I could understand the signs on the ferries in Norwegian or Swedish because they were so similar to Dutch (they had English signs as well, but the local ones made sense to me).

Scots has a lot of similar words in it, that are also often used in the north east of England where Annie lives (I have lived in both Durham and Newcastle). Some Scots words are similar to Dutch, such as kirk.

I was told by Dutch friends that Fries or Frisian, which is spoken in Friesland in the north of the Netherlands, is more like English where Dutch is more like Scots. The Fries for cheese is very similar to that English word.

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:48 pm

[/quote]
Scots has a lot of similar words in it, that are also often used in the north east of England where Annie lives (I have lived in both Durham and Newcastle). Some Scots words are similar to Dutch, such as kirk.
[/quote]
It's kirke in Norwegian. :D

Although, the first k is pronounced with kind of a ch sound.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:59 am

Zoom interview with Jason, that had gone under my radar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBA2msm0rFU

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:10 pm

That's a long interview - I think she's a fan! :cool:

Jason said much more about Cary Grant and Dyan in that interview too.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:18 pm

Really great interview. Thank you for the link.

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:34 am

This isn't an interview with Jason, but a short (4 min) radio piece about Cary Grant/Archie in Bristol. I found it very interesting, especially the bit about Bristol bricks being used to build New York.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0h61rcz

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:43 pm

Thanks, Servalan, that was very interesting. :D

Return to “Archie”