Jason Filiming Harry Potter

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Anniemouse

Jason Filiming Harry Potter

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:26 am

I have just seen a photograph of Jason and Dobby the Elf and it looks like they are in Durham Cathedral. (I could be wrong) Did Jason do any filming at Durham Cathedral?. If so he was on 7 miles from me :wheee . I do know that some of Harry Potter was filmed at Durham Cathedral.

servalan

Re: Jason Filiming Harry Potter

Post by servalan » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:10 pm

The first two HP films used Durham Cathedral for part of Hogwarts. If you watch the films and you know the cathedral you will recognise the cloisters, where Jason was thrown to the ground by Dobby. The grassy quadrangle in the middle of the cloisters was also used for scenes with the kids.

Aerial views showed the cathedral towers. So when they built the model of Hogwarts you can see at the studio tour at Leavesden, it incorporated the shapes of Durham Cathedral's towers.

The Durham Cathedral Chapter House was used for McGonagall's classroom.

(I went to Durham University, and we used the cathedral as a short cut sometimes!)

They also used the exterior of Alnwick Castle for some scenes, especially learning to fly a broomstick with Madam Hooch. All those statues round the edge of the roof are really there.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:40 pm

I know the Catherdral and have walked those cloisters many times. I know the scene regarding Jason and Dobbie so am staggered I was 7 miles from Jason when he was filming. I actually interviewed for Durham for a Social Science degree in 1998. However I did not get in at St Cuthbert's.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:59 pm

Susan brought me there - I was visiting the UK and she was there visiting her Dad. I took the train and met her and we had a lovely day. It was amazing seeing the cathedral (and Stonehenge too!)

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:53 am

When I was a kid I sang at a school choir festival at Durham Catherdral. It is such a cool place and full of it own stories. Went up the tower to the roof once, and considering my fear of heights I do not know how I did that. The view was spectacular. The Castle is also amazing.

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”