*Spoilers* Movie Discussion

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

*Spoilers* Movie Discussion

Post by Chari910 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:46 pm

Talk about it here :)
I'm going tomorrow.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:42 pm

OK I'll say something and you can all yell at me. I was bored. OK I know they have to set the story up but I was bored. I was bored during the woods trecking in the book and I was about just as bored during the movie. That being said the acting and photography was wonderful. I think I will enjoy part 2 much more.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Oh I meant to also mention that I was very disappointed to discover that I'd already seen the pictures and video from ALL of Jason's scenes. Damn - I was hoping for more Jason screen time. He was quite whipped and trodden upon - poor Lucius!
Last edited by Marie on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks for opening this thread. Nice idea of putting a spoiler warning on the title.

Went to see HP today, it was super cool. Some parts may be a bit hard to follow if you haven't read the books, because little details are missing. I know it's weird, but I think this movie didn't fit well with the tone and pace of the previous movies, hard to explain. It was very dark and adult and scary. Loved it and didn't want it to end, can't wait for the 2nd and final part.

Now...Jason Isaacs. Awww, he was amazing, just perfect. Lucius' emotions (his vulnerability and feeling of impotence) were portrayed incredibly well. His character didn't have much dialogue and screen time but was noticeable.

And Ron destroying the Horcrux was a great scene. :D
I will definitely watch it again!!!

~me

LadyLucius

Post by LadyLucius » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Hello to Jason Isaacs!!!!

Can't believe how little screen time he had - and how long did it take to shoot this thing? He was the best thing in the room every time he turned up. Woof! Even though in the part with Harry he kept getting blown off his feet. Hilarious.

I quite liked the movie, but they made so little of the thinking process that lead up to figuring out about the deathly hallows - and killed only one horcrux - must be my ever shortening attention span. I did snivel at the end, it really was quite sad.

Lets get to part 2 already.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:53 am

I'm not gonna yell at you, Marie... I sort of agree with you. I thought the movie was OK, but nothing more than that.

If you all are thinking I am just saying this because I want more of Lucius, you are wrong... But: I think the biggest mistake they did was to not decide where to split the movies before they started writing the script. There's a lot of build up to a climax that never comes. It's OK, to say that it's a two part movie, and the second part will have a climax, but his movie needs one too. There's no reason to make a movie that needs the second part to feel like a movie. (The Lord of the Rings, managed to give us a big climax towards the end of the two first films, and that is why we felt satisfied after seeing the first two movies. Not that we didn't need to see the third one, but after leaving the cinema after seeing 1 and 2, we felt that we just had a full movie experience)

The climax in this film should have been Malfoy Manor. That scene has the possibility to be a great climax with all the tension going on character wise and plot wise, but they decide to focus on Dobby and a bit of comic relief instead. I don't mean that they should have cut Dobby, but that scene is way to short, and there's too little tension going on (even if the tension that is there is great), and it's over before we have time to get really into it. The Malfoy Manor scene should have been at least twice as long, and instead they could actually have cut some of the camping scenes where nothing special happened.

I can handle a lot of build up if it culminates in a great climax. But this movie just feels incomplete.

I probably sound too negative now, I liked watching it (I even got to see the beginning twice because some funny guy thought it would interesting to test the fire alarm). But it's so much more fun to be Miss "The glass is half empty". :mrgreen:

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:37 am

Can't believe how little screen time he had - and how long did it take to shoot this thing?
6 months, I think...(to film his part for the movie)

~me

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:02 am

I have just watched a DH special on The Box [A music channel] Daniel Radcliffe has just said both movies took 18 months.

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 am

Going to see it tonight! :D

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Saw it at the brand new Cinebistro in Richmond ( They serve foods and drinks in the theatre, the seats are 'luxurious' leather rocker). We really enjoyed the experience. I am spoiled now :D

One thing that bothered me, the Trio could defeat the likes of all the Malfoys plus Bellatrix during wand battle, so why couldn't they blow away Fenrir and the snatchers in the woods??

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Saw it twice on Friday. :cool:
I was dreading the forest scenes because of how long they dragged on in the book. But it appears they compressed a lot of what happens in those scenes so that they went faster than I'd imagined. So I was okay with them.

The scene in the Ministry and getting to it--"kidnapping," polyjuicing, flushing--and getting out of the Ministry was fabulous. btw, did anyone recognize the actor who played Albert Runcorn, Harry's person? I recognized him from Braveheart, starring He Who Must Be Named Either . . . Stumpy.

I thought it was a dumb place to end Part 1 as well. Stop it at the end of the fight scene in Malfoy Manor; but Voldie taking Dumbledore's wand? What's the point of that?

I also thought it was pretty true to the book, which is all we can ask. Not much was left out. Too bad we can't say that about the previous movies.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Helen8 wrote:I thought it was a dumb place to end Part 1 as well. Stop it at the end of the fight scene in Malfoy Manor; but Voldie taking Dumbledore's wand? What's the point of that?
I personally really liked where they ended it. I think it leaves the viewer with a sense of dread that Voldemort has gotten what it takes to beat Harry. A sense of the tides turning. And it leaves the viewer with a 6 month wait to see how it turns out. It's a cliffhanger. I thought it was a great ending, personally.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:43 pm

I think the ending was good too. The whole movie was about Voldie trying to find s wand that can kill Harry, and he did. So it's a closure to this part.

About the Malfoy Manor scene, this was what Tom Felton had to say:
(From Feltbeats)

There’s a scene at Malfoy Manor where Draco seems unwilling to unravel Harry’s secret identity…
Yeah, it was fantastic.

It must have been complex to shoot…
Yeah, it was great! Because, again, it’s not actually answered in the book specifically why he does it. It never even says, you know, if he’s looking for a stroke of redemption so he does this. He just does it. And it’s the same with David – we did it several ways, so I don’t know which way it’s gong to end up. But generally the idea was that he doesn’t even know it himself, he doesn’t even realize it himself, what he’s doing. He just knows somewhere deep down he doesn’t want to give up or he doesn’t want to kill Harry right then and there. I think it’s almost against his will. As hard as he would want to be, he would want to be like his dad, as much as he could, but he can’t; he has too much of his mother inside him. The idea being he chooses not to recognize him but at that moment it’s very hard to tell whether he’s choosing to or [not]. This is an interpretative thing, whether you choose to think that he knows or he doesn’t. I’m endlessly intrigued… I know we spent a day and a half, about this far away from each other’s faces… and it’s very hard not to laugh!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Voldemort has gotten what it takes to beat Harry.

But we all know that it's not just the Elder Wand; it's all three Deathly Hallows that make the possessor master of death, which we know he doesn't have the other two. So, that shows the viewer that Voldie is unwittingly vulnerable, not that Harry's in trouble.

Of course, it is what it is.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 am

Chari910 wrote:I think the ending was good too. The whole movie was about Voldie trying to find s wand that can kill Harry, and he did. So it's a closure to this part.

About the Malfoy Manor scene, this was what Tom Felton had to say:
(From Feltbeats)

There’s a scene at Malfoy Manor where Draco seems unwilling to unravel Harry’s secret identity…
Yeah, it was fantastic.

It must have been complex to shoot…
Yeah, it was great! Because, again, it’s not actually answered in the book specifically why he does it. It never even says, you know, if he’s looking for a stroke of redemption so he does this. He just does it. And it’s the same with David – we did it several ways, so I don’t know which way it’s gong to end up. But generally the idea was that he doesn’t even know it himself, he doesn’t even realize it himself, what he’s doing. He just knows somewhere deep down he doesn’t want to give up or he doesn’t want to kill Harry right then and there. I think it’s almost against his will. As hard as he would want to be, he would want to be like his dad, as much as he could, but he can’t; he has too much of his mother inside him. The idea being he chooses not to recognize him but at that moment it’s very hard to tell whether he’s choosing to or [not]. This is an interpretative thing, whether you choose to think that he knows or he doesn’t. I’m endlessly intrigued… I know we spent a day and a half, about this far away from each other’s faces… and it’s very hard not to laugh!
Well, I'm not saying it's a bad scene in itself, I'm saying it doesn't work as a climax of the movie, and that makes the movie's structure incomplete; it feels like half of a film, instead of a full film. ( I know it's a part 1, but it should still have the structure of a full film) Malfoy Manor has every possibility in to be a great climax, the way they chose to do it, makes it a random scene (even if it is a good scene). The lack of climax in the movie is the reason the guy behind me went: "Are you f***ing kidding me?!" :bat by the end of the movie.

...And that's the reason why the movie is getting much more of the really bad reviews than the other HP films. Critics who want to slaughter this has a feast, because the lack of structure in the movie. I think they aren't being fair though, it's not that bad and it has a lot of great things in it to weigh up.

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”