The Peacocks Are Back

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

grannybear

The Peacocks Are Back

Post by grannybear » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:10 am

About six years ago we got invaded by Peacocks. One day we had none the next day we had nine. It's as if someone dumped them there overnight.
Now, you're all going to say How Pretty. No, No, No. They are dirty. They s--t in big clumps all over the place. Streets, roofs of cars, roofs of the condo's, from the trees so make sure you don't walk underneath. You can hear their cry all night long. They sound like a wounded cat. You have to keep the windows closed.
They have a nasty disposition and will attack your car if they see their reflection. Some residents had to have their cars repainted.
Since no agency would help, we hired a private trapper to capture them and relocate them At $50 per bird.
Well they must have missed some eggs back in the woods because they have reappeared, Not many but like last time they will multiply.
Guess we'll have to relocate them again but I'm sure some will be missed and we'll always have them.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:32 am

I always imagined peacocks as these lovely, graceful things ambling around the lawns of some great estate, not the urban menace you've described, grannybear. Must be a hell of a sight.

Can't your local humane society remove them? It might be a lot cheaper.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:09 am

Ditto, Gillian, re: lovely, graceful things ambling around the lawns of some great estate,!

The San Diego Zoo is in the canyons right behind the Old Globe Theater here. During the evening performances on the outdoor stage, you can hear the peacocks calling, which always gives aural atmosphere to the plays.

grannybear, what you describe is a nightmare. Major sympathy. Look at the bright side, dropped tail feathers would make a lovely floral arrangement. Or are you beyond that?

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:34 pm

I do believe the birds you're describing sound a little deranged, GB. Make sure if they are picked up, that whoever is stuck with this dreadful task, be properly gloved up, and wash their hands thoroughly afterwards....just to be safe.

Not sure if that Bird Flu is transmitted thru peacocks, but you can't take any chances.

~ML aaa.gif
Last edited by marilaine on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:09 pm

Helen---the tail feathers disappear as soon as they're dropped. Residents grab them fast.
Gillian---The humane society won't touch them because they say they are not domestic animals and the state wildlife division won't touch them because they say they are not considered wild. And they both say it's a crime to kill them. Caught between a rock and a hard place.
There's a town about 40 miles south of us that has the same problem but there they've taken over a cemetery. They roost on the headstones and chase the mourners. And multiply like mad.
And definitely not native to the U.S. Anyone know where they were originally from?

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:57 pm

How bizarre, Grannybear! I've heard them call as well, and can imagine that's not a soothing nocturnal sound at all.
Around here we sometimes get vultures in big crowds, but they don't tend to hang around for very long--they move on of their own accord.
I wonder where "your" peacocks originated? They seem so ethereal, it's hard to picture them turning into "trash" birds like this and just multiplying willy-nilly . . . good luck with getting rid of them! :-|

(According to Wikipedia, both blue and green peafowl are native to India. Bet yours escaped from or were abandoned by some zoo or tourist park . . . )

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:15 am

Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Great! No one wants to take responsibility. This is probably a cash cow for the private trappers. Could explain why the birds showed up again, says the paranoid person in me. Why not leave a few eggs around to guarantee more lucrative work. :twisted:

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:53 pm

Oi, missy!! Conspiracy theories are my department!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:58 pm

grannybear wrote:Helen---the tail feathers disappear as soon as they're dropped. Residents grab them fast....
My grandmother told me that peacock feathers were bad luck, so let the neighbours take'em.

Not domestic yet not wild?
You can't kill them but can you do anything with their eggs so they don't reproduce?

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Like poach 'em and eat 'em on toast??? :twisted:

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:32 pm

I hadn't thought of that. HMMMM I wonder.
Now where do they lay their eggs?

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am

Hilary the Touched wrote:Like poach 'em and eat 'em on toast??? :twisted:

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Remind me to skip eggs from now on, fruitbat. :spew2

~ML :soap

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:57 pm

fruitbat, I love your emoticon. Hilary, can you add it to the repertory?

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:42 pm

When I was driving out this morning there were 6 of them down at the corner and one was pure white.
I've never seen a white one before. I don't know whether it was a pure albino because you can't get that close to see.
Sort of like a ghost.

Return to “The Bitch Box”