Student Finance!!!

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Mistress

Student Finance!!!

Post by Mistress » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:00 am

It's been on the news a few times but it's still going on. Many UK University students including myself still have not received their loan and grant money and the first semester has been and gone.

When I got my results I hoped that I was free. I started packing as I had applied for a grant to help me move out into a flat nearer to the University I'm studying. This idea was put on the back burner when I received nothing in September, October, November, Decemeber...nothing.

My mum had words with the local Cousel for me and I recently received a letter from the House of Commons with a copy of a plea for my loan from my local MP.

Things have changed since I enrolled at Uni, I've moved forward in life and met a lovely guy with quite a large family and we've decided it's time we moved out together, however I recently got laid off my job so it would only be him earning and I'm really struggling as the money is running out and although I live at home I usually sort out my own meals and toiletries.

I am the first and only member of the family to go to University, however my place is under threat if I don't pay my tuition fees. Universities in the UK are struggling enough thanks to student finance as most of them offer interest free loans, which haven't been paid back because people still have not received their loans and grants.

I'm now hoping that the student finance company take more notice of my MP than me and my mother before things get really out of control and I loose my place at University.

MM

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:39 am

Mistress, I am so sorry to hear of your financial problems, especially
with going to Uni...do whatever you can, but try and stay in school...

stay strong and keep trying

Mistress

Post by Mistress » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:44 pm

I will, luckily I have one tutor who has got to know me all year and he is due to start teaching me twice a week so I'll at least have one in my corner. Plus a few mature student friends helps :)
MM

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:26 pm

I spent much of yesterday down at our state capital, lobbying legislators to protect our diminishing budget for community colleges. Enrollment at mine has increased 20% in the past year, but our state is looking for pennies everywhere. :-(

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:24 am

I love it when a politician running for office says how important education is but when they get into office that is all forgotten.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:30 am

Sorry to hear that, Mistress. Who's responsible for this mess nowadays? Gordon Brown?

Mistress

Post by Mistress » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 am

Most things are GB's (Insert insults here) fault but not so sure on this one. It's whoever is responsible for our education system and in charge of making sure that all young adults who have applied for financial help get it in order to progress in life.

Not heard anything further from either student finance or the people fighting my corner, but managed two days at Uni without Mr. Security man hunting me down and telling me to get out because I'm having my education for free at the moment.

Maybe I should get a lottery ticket? I might stand more chance getting money that way than from SF.

MM

Return to “The Bitch Box”