Paparazzo

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

grannybear

Paparazzo

Post by grannybear » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:54 pm

(this must be my bitchy day)

HBO had a documentary last night called "Smash His Camera". It was about the photographer Ron Galella who stalked Jacqueline Kennedy for so many years. In interviews with him and other photographers they say putting limits on their movements inferred with their constitutional, first amendment right to earn a living.

My take on this is when a celebrity is attending a premier, award ceremony, promoting a project of theirs, then it is open season, within limits. When it is their personal time such as being with their family, going to the store, beach, playground then they are off limits. When they are on their own time it is their business whether they want themselves and their family to be photographed. Their wishes should be respected.

There! I've had my say...

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:06 pm

I agree-EVERYONE has the right to privacy!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Keith has told me time and again, in the UK, one has to "ask" the
celebrity if it is OK to take pics of his family....Usually, the celebrity
is OK with it.....

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:26 pm

I hate the paparazzi, they make people's lives hell.

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 pm

The only reason they do it is because it is profitable.
The only reason it is profitable is because someone will buy their photos.
The only reason someone buys their photos is to publish them.
The only reason someone publishes them is because SOMEONE ELSE WILL BUY THE PUBLICATIONS.

I absolutely don't get the appeal, I truly don't. I read crap like US or whatever when it's lying around at the gym, and I just don't see why some celebrity's toddler deserves a spot on the pages any more than my neighbour's kid.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:13 am

Talk about a timely thread. I just watched an episode of MI-5 last night that dealt with the theory that the British govt. masterminded Princess Diana's fatal crash, with the paparazzi hot on her trail in Paris. The paparazzi can be dangerous and, in this case, deadly. The poor woman was stalked to death.

Someone should turn the tables and follow them around taking pictures of them at all hours of the day and night. Might make them realize how invasion of privacy feels. Then, again. Probably not.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:56 pm

What gets me is that they feel justified in what they are doing. That it is their right to hassle and hound anyone they please.

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:31 pm

[quote="Helen8"]Talk about a timely thread. I just watched an episode of MI-5 last night that dealt with the theory that the British govt. masterminded Princess Diana's fatal crash, with the paparazzi hot on her trail in Paris. The paparazzi can be dangerous and, in this case, deadly. The poor woman was stalked to death.

Do you know that some of these paps would call her all sorts [Ugly Whore was just one of their printable insults] just to make her cry and give them a snap they could sell to the gutter press. There are rocks that these vermin aren't welcome under.

Gilly_sirl

Post by Gilly_sirl » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:42 pm

What disgusts me the most is when they say they do it in the name of people's "right to know". Right... like I am entitled to know what starlets put in their coffee, or if Britney has put on any underwear this morning... :roll:

I believe, however, that many "celebrities" use the power of paparazzi, the power of images to stay on top. But I don't think "real" actors and "real" artists would do that.

Return to “The Bitch Box”