Grrrrr

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

fruitbat

Grrrrr

Post by fruitbat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 am

I think I love this board.

Fruitbat’s rather long rant of the week:

A group of us at work buy lottery tickets. My friend used to do it all, collect the money, buy the tickets, photocopy the tickets and distribute a copy to each group member. When she retired she asked if I would take over. Frankly, I thought it would be a pain in the a**, but, as no-one else was willing to do it, I caved.

A couple of weeks ago, we finally won something other than $20 or a free ticket. Not a lot, not enough to make me rush to collect it, especially divided among 13 people, but enough that it has to be claimed at the prize office, not at a lottery retailer. The requirements for claiming a prize fall short of providing a DNA sample. Among other things, they want a photocopy of government ID from each member. I asked two of the group to read over the instructions to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Well, neither of them bothered, so when I reviewed the webpage, I realized that I’d missed a step; each of us had to fill out a form. The form itself was ambiguous enough that I wanted to call the 1-800 number to have some questions answered before showing up at the prize office. (The webpage warns that there could be up to a two hour wait, once you’ve reached the desk, [so, not counting the time you stand in line]). As I had no desire to sit at my desk on hold for 30 minutes I kept putting it off. One member of the group, let’s call her “Miss Bother”, egged on by another, kept hounding me. She, herself, had a question to be answered; I suggested she make the call to which she replied indignantly, “I don’t want to sit with the phone in my lap all morning!” Yes, but I have to?

My close friend in the group, who had said nothing about the prize and was waiting patiently, ended up making the call on her day off. (Turns out, there was just a 3 minute wait until the call was answered by an unbelievably friendly and helpful staffer at the prize office.)

I emailed everyone the webpage where they could download the form with line-by-line instructions on how to fill it out. (After making two more calls myself; these things are complicated!)

Miss Bother needed help printing it out. Could I do it for her? Could I also print out copies for others? This, I did. Did she distribute them as she had promised? No. Did she even take back two extra copies for the co-workers who work RIGHT BESIDE HER? No.

My friend suggested I give Miss Bother her prize money now just to make her shut the F up.

I am thinking of resigning as lottery queen. I am definitely not going to be the one to claim another prize if we ever win again.

Plus, I am not taking time off work this to collect it, I will use my next morning off, which doesn’t happen for another week. They can all wait. Image

That felt good. Image

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Bloody selfish wenches!! What did their last handmaiden die of??

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Just goes to show----No good deed goes unpunished.

Lisabella

Post by Lisabella » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:49 am

Stupid cows. They should be thankful that you cared about all that!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:15 pm

I bet the stupid cows never lift a finger because they have house elves.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Follow-up: despite my line-by-line instructions on how to fill out the form, Miss Bother filled it out incorrectly. Image

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:07 pm

And this surprises you? I'd tell her if she can't be bothered to do it right the rest who did it right will split her winnings among them.

Return to “The Bitch Box”