Yay CT!

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Cissa

Yay CT!

Post by Cissa » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:51 am

So, we were having dinner with friends last night who were telling us how annoying it was that people were now constantly asking them, "So, when are you two going to get married?" I smiled at them as I raised a glass of wine to my lips and said, "Are you having fun, yet?" ;-)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=96924806

Jokes aside, I'm feeling pretty good about being American these days! Now, if we can get everyone *ahem, cough, cough, California, cough* to follow this example...

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:58 am

I watched Bill Maher's last show of the season, on which Ashton Kutcher appeared. I was entirely prepared to find him utterly worfless and completely ignorable, but to my considerable surprise he made several good points, one of which was that states' denial of marriage to same-sex couples violates the separation of church and state.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:56 am

That's really great. Finally, some change is happening!
I find it funny how California, which is supposed to be a liberal state didn't support the Proposition 8 but in a small town in Oregon, they have a transgendered mayor. Funny.

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:07 pm

"Seperation of Chruch and State" has always ever gone only so far. Look back on Bush's presidency; how many times has he said "God wants this...", or "...what's right in the eyes of God."? Heck, European settlers kept siezing land from the Indians on the basis of "Manifest Destiny" - it was God's will that white people settled this country and governed it. Then there is the matter of what's clearly written on our money; In God We Trust.
I think people's religious ideas have to change before politics will.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:54 pm

In defense of my adopted state:

When this matter first came before the voters in 2004, it passed 62% to 37%. This time it was 52% to 48%—a big change in support of same-sex marriage in only 4 years. This isn't over yet. People are marching in Los Angeles and San Francisco. This will be overturned. California won't disappoint.

Helen

Return to “Political Material”