Spoilers thread for those who finished reading the book

This pilot for a Fox television series, based on the novel by Scott Turow, was tragically not selected for production. Bastards.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Spoilers thread for those who finished reading the book

Post by Chari910 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm starting this thread so anyone who finished reading the book can discuss the content without spoiling others.

First thing I had to say is: When Mack had a rash around his you-know-what and Brushy refused to have sex with him, she told him to 'call' her doctor. Later on he did and was prescribed a 'salve' for it. In real life this can never happen. A doctor cannot prescribe Rx for someone who is not his patient. Plus we take 'rashes' down there very seriously. STD's can't be treated by just a 'salve'. LOL.

I don't think it was a STD, but still he could have picked up nasty stuff from the Russian Baths.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:02 pm

LOL--thanks for starting this, Char.
I haven't read the book/s, but this post has to be at least as entertaining as the novel. :D

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 am

Don't get too hung up on the books. Look at Dexter - they made a LOT of changes between the books and the series.

malfoygrandma

Thread idea!

Post by malfoygrandma » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:31 am

:mrgreen: Very good idea for a thread! Reading the book and all that has not much to do with the script for the pilot, which will be whatever the executive producer decides as he overlooks everything, but fun just the same!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:55 pm

You're right Marie. They usually change the book for the Movie or TV. The book will probably be used as a reference point for the characters.
The TV series Bones is based on the books by Kathy Reichs and are completely different from the books but each good in their own way.
I would think Pleading Guilty would also deviate from the book but draw on it's premise.

Marie

Post by Marie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:27 am

I love Bones - can't wait for it to start up again!! Never read the books though - I might have to give them a shot.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:34 am

just like the HP movies are diff from the books, I knew this would be
something to base the pilot/series on....I wanted to read the book, to
get an idea of the characters and story line...I've just begun reading
the book, seems like an easy read, and hopefully won't take too long...

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:27 am

Ordered the book from Barnes and Noble yesterday and it's already been shipped. Couldn't find it in 2 bookstores (in the big city). Should be here Monday and looking forward to getting started.

Marie--The books Bones is based on take place in North Carolina and Montreal. Instead of an FBI agent there's a Detective with the Montreal Police. They are really good. I recommend the books. There is a series of 12 books.

Marie

Post by Marie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks Grannybear!! I might do that if I can knock some off my Kindle. Got quite a few to read!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:32 pm

SPOILERS...SPOILERS....SPOILERS....

OK, finally finished reading the book...since the book has an ending, the series is definitely going 2B different...by ending, I mean, the story is told
and done....so, I'm assuming that the characters will be the same, but everything else will change.....Mack probably gives the money back, or something, so a series can be made...unless, he leaves for the tropical island, and does his lawyer stuff, there (which I doubt)...LOL

Something I don't understand, in the book, it's mostly lawyer stuff, with a bit of detective work, from Mack...why in the hell would JI have 2B out and about with real cops?? Maybe, they want to show how he used to be
a cop, then became a lawyer....I wish we could get hold of the script..LOL

I was glad that Mack took the initiative, and kept the $$$$
OK, did Brushy really intend to set up Mack (as he stated at the end)
or did she really fall for Mack????

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Maybe the TV show will deal with more of the cop angle. Maybe he'll be doing some investigative work too.

I'm also dying to read the script but I'm not good enough to hack into their system. I can barely point and click. Well, we'll find out in time.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:34 pm

I think Brushy really likes Mack but she wanted him to 'do the right thing'.

I want to see the two of them stay as good friends on the series but always have that sexual tension going on. Brushy is very promiscuous though so I don't know how many episodes it will take before Mack jumps in the sack with her.....

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Char - the same executive producer is the one for Bones and I think that has been on for quite a few seasons (like 5 or more). The two main characters still have not done the deed and there is plenty of sexual tension. So this could be great!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks for the info, Marie. Never watch 'Bone'.
The actress who will portray Brushy is gorgeous. Hope they have great chemistry.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm sure they'll tease us along for quite awhile before anything takes place.

Have only started the book but can see changes. Jason is not the way Mack is described. He's not 6'3", a bit overweight and have a slight red tinge to his face.
But I can see where Jason would like this character. He's going to be interesting with a lot of contrasting bits to his personality.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another case of the week lawyer show.

Return to “Pleading Guilty”